Insanity Program

Options
Is it common to gain five pounds the first two weeks? I feel bloated even though I've been eating healthy.
I started at 126 and I am now at 131. I've been eating healthy and at minimum 1400 calories a day. No fried or high sodium food.
I'm kind of frustrated.

Replies

• StarStjarna
    Options
    Hi!

You may not be eating enough for as demanding a program as Insanity. My first month of the program I lost 5.5lbs (2.5kg) but I ate approximately 1900cal a day.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you probably gained 5-7 pounds of muscle (which could mean you also lost some inches), but it is frustrating to see the scale go up.

You might need to eat more because Insanity is a very intense workout program. So you should pay close attention to the nutrition guide they give you and try to follow it as best you can.

Also make sure to weigh/measure your food for more accurate calorie counts (if you're not already doing this). I would also suggest not eating back more than half of your exercise calories just in case you're estimates are off (a lot of times people underestimate the calories they ate and MFP can overestimate calories burned).
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you probably gained 5-7 pounds of muscle (which could mean you also lost some inches), but it is frustrating to see the scale go up.

I'm sorry, but there is no way they gained 7 pounds of muscle in two weeks while eating at a deficit. I would say water retention due to a sudden increase in exercise. It should go away in a week or so.
  • PixieQueen25
    PixieQueen25 Posts: 118 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but there is no way they gained 7 pounds of muscle in two weeks while eating at a deficit. I would say water retention due to a sudden increase in exercise. It should go away in a week or so.

I agree that some of the weight is possible water retention. I will say that after a long time of being frustrated at the scale for not going down I myself finally realized that I was not drinking enough water after doing all of that hard work in INSANITY. I even posted a board simular to this one... but yeah it was definately not enough water intake. It's hard to get used to drinking so much water too. I think you should drink some, even if your not thirsty.

But I am almost positive given your size at 126 which is a GREAT size to be, you probably are gaining a little muscle too.

My advice I can give that I made the mistake of not doing at first is... 1. There is a reason they tell you to take before and after pictures. When I realized this on my second go round I did. Then I decided to take the pictures every two weeks. Major differences. Also MEASURE EVERYTHING. No matter if your tying to tone down and gain muscle, or lose weight. Measure everything.

Here is the last thing that keeps me motivated now. BF Percentage calculator. It lets me know how much of my body is fat and how much is not.

Anyways hope this helps.
  • ay_2193
    ay_2193 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I do drink 12 cups of water a day, so that may be it I suppose. It's just a bit frustrating. I knows system feels clearer if that makes sense.