Whats your emergency Snack?

Options
tiona83
tiona83 Posts: 99 Member
On the go and in Weight Watchers I learned to always have something preferably healthy to snack on in my bag/purse/luggage/coat. We have all seen the banana/apple cases or the snack/fun size/individual wrapped items that would be easy to stash and have incase hunger strikes.
If anyone of you are like me when beyond hungry you tend to eat to fast or regret grabbing and munching on something you wish you didn't (like the 3 biscuits at my mother in laws Friday- 255 calories of 3 min bliss but I do have to admit they kept me full longer than I though). My husband gets terribly quiet and then moody (he is the perfect example of the snickers commercial). So whats your go to snack?
Mine is usually fruit or nuts but Im looking to mix it up a little. :wink:

Replies

• raeesa07
    raeesa07 Posts: 54
    Options
    When I'm hungry and particulary craving something sweet I half an apple, sprinkle some cinnamon on to it and microwave for about 30 seconds!

Its so good & taste pretty similar to apple pie without the excess calories
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I'm actually fine with gum, diet dew, or a Nutrigrain candy bar from the vending machines at work. At the gym I'll buy a banana if I forgot my sliced apples. Everywhere else I pretty much have decent access to food. Visiting folks is more or less a free for all; I'll eat what they have.
  • Sofie1313
    Sofie1313 Posts: 17
    Options
    Beer :D
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    When I'm hungry and particulary craving something sweet I half an apple, sprinkle some cinnamon on to it and microwave for about 30 seconds!

Its so good & taste pretty similar to apple pie without the excess calories

Totally going to try this! Thanks :)

ETA- my go to snacks are quest bars or rice cakes with cashew nut butter and raisins :)
  • thisisabbie
    thisisabbie Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I always have a tin of tuna and a spoon in my bag! And if i'm not at work (in a nut free school!), i'll have a little container of mixed nuts and seeds :)
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I think the apple and cinnamon sounds great too. :smile:
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I have a box of granola bars in my car (in an "emergency kit" my dad made for me), and I always have fruit snacks or something in mu purse. I rarely break into either, though, so I have to remember to swap them out occasionally.
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Nature Valley - Granola Thins - Dark Chocolate and Peanut Butter
    They're about 90 calories but they do the trick. I keep them in my computer bag, the car, and even in my wife's purse!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I don't usually have a need for this honestly because I am a 3 meals a day type of person rather than a mini meals fan. I purposely don't bring snacks to work because there is (fortunately) not food available in my office so I just have to wait it out 'til dinner or have a cup of tea.

But around home...we have a little pantry in the kitchen stocked with lots of different nuts, dried plums or figs, honey roasted sunflower kernels, and chocolate or butterscotch chips. Also, fruit in the fridge or fruit bowl (blackberries, melon, apples, bananas, or kiwi usually).

For road trips my husband and I like Zone Perfect bars or similar protein/nutrition type snack bars. They keep us from getting cranky-hungry on the road & making bad food decisions...not just weight loss related, but poor quality food. That way we can make it to our destination and visit an amazing local restaurant instead of stopping in some podunk town and eating bad fast food or truck stop fare.
  • walking_the_labyrinth
    Options
    I usually have a Kind bar in my purse for emergency snacking (my husband and kid are prone to having such emergencies :laugh: ).
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I keep a 1/4C of unsalted mixed nuts in purse at all times.
  • misdreagus
    misdreagus Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Goji berries!
  • tiona83
    tiona83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks all its defiantly inspiring. Now to just go grocery shopping. :)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Brie and club crackers
  • knitcandi
    knitcandi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am going to try and make my own roasted chickpeas this weekend with a Hungry Girl recipe. I usually have popcorn but I also want to change it up a bit.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    for the sweet tooth...

fresh strawberries sliced
    dark chocolat chips or semi sweet choc chips

melt 1 tables spoon fool of choc chips in microwave then add sliced strawberries and mix quickly...it tastes like heaven!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Slim Jim minis. 40 cals
    Simple 7 quinoa crisps 20 chips,130 cals, 9g of protein!
    Kroger vanilla carbmaster skim milk 1 cup, 60 cals, 11g of protein!
  • ladyace0007
    ladyace0007 Posts: 47
    Options
    Dried fruit and nuts! Super filling, portable, and long shelf life. I put them in snack bags and leave them in my purses so they're always close.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Usually a muesli bar of some kind,or a quest bar