Question about fruit sugar

Options
Hi. Thank you for reading my inquiry. I just joined myfitnesspal and have a question regarding sugar intake. I filled out my daily diet plan, which list calories you should strive for each day. I'm looking to gain a few pounds, but just as concerned about my body getting all the nutrients it needs and keeping back on sugar. My sugar column came out to 104, about 3 over my goal of 101 in order to reach my goals. But 62 of the 104 come from fruits and vegetables (raw, not dried or canned).

So my question - Do I need to be as concerned about the sugar coming from fruits/vegetables and how that impacts my overall sugar count? According to myfitnesspal plan I'm 3 over my ideal number for sugar intake. But again, the majority of my sugar is coming from fruits/vegetables.

I appreciate all responses.

Thank you.

Replies

• andylowry
    andylowry Posts: 89
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables have other nutritive constituents that you want, unlike, say, Twinkies. You're fine.
  • PriscillaLaine
    PriscillaLaine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Personally, I tend not to worry that much about it. I'm always waaayyyyy over on the days I have a lot of fruit. It's not refined sugar though, so I kind of just omit it from my mind.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    3 over is not biggie

calories are calories and sugars are carbs

however, when you get sugars from fruit and veggies then you are also getting a whole pile of vitamins and fibre, which is good for a balanced diet, and better than getting all those sugars from say soda

generally the advice is to eat more veg than fruit, to keep the sugar down a little targets vary by country but 5veg+2fruit is a common goal (counted in 80g servings), many consider that fruit juice can only count as one serving a day

for weight alone <> calories are the important thing

but for health <> nutrition (macros+micros) are important

if you're looking at a +3, then no worries, but I would suggest that you check and review your accuracy, as when you're looking at small margins like that then there isn't too much space for inacccuracy

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    In a word, no. My nutritionist admonishes me for not getting enough fruits in my diet. 1-2 servings daily instead of 3-4. As another poster said, the added nutrients in fruits and vegetables outweigh going over your daily sugar number.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    3 over is not biggie

calories are calories and sugars are carbs

however, when you get sugars from fruit and veggies then you are also getting a whole pile of vitamins and fibre, which is good for a balanced diet, and better than getting all those sugars from say soda

generally the advice is to eat more veg than fruit, to keep the sugar down a little targets vary by country but 5veg+2fruit is a common goal (counted in 80g servings), many consider that fruit juice can only count as one serving a day

for weight alone <> calories are the important thing

for body comp <> macros are important

and for health <> nutrition micros are important

if you're looking at a +3, then no worries, but I would suggest that you check and review your accuracy, as when you're looking at small margins like that then there isn't too much space for inacccuracy

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

IFIFY
  • salbunnylettuceleafyexley
    Options
    i would imagine the sugar in fruit is a lot better for u than say in chocolate or cake, but i would still be careful if diabetic, plus eating too much fruit can cause the trots, lol but nothing wrong with having a few pieces of fruit compared to a few pieces of cake, a bowl of say orange, grapes and apple would be about 200cal
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    No real need to track sugar (outside of a medical condition), just focus on calories, then macros AND eat a variety of fresh products including fruits and vegetables.
  • Peter21142004
    Options
    Wow! As a new member I'm really impressed at the rapid and many responses to my question. Thanks to everyone for chiming in! :)
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    No real need to track sugar (outside of a medical condition), just focus on calories, then macros AND eat a variety of fresh products including fruits and vegetables.

^^This. Sugar consumption will not prevent you from losing weight. Yes, this includes "processed" sugars. I eat them all the time and have absolutely no problem losing weight.

My suggestion--if you have no medical issue that makes you limit sugar, don't even track it.