How can you bench press more?

Options
ImAJH
ImAJH Posts: 391 Member
I've researched this question but I want to know what you guys think? I started the Gym 1 month ago and I thought I was strong but when I got to bench press I realized I'm not that strong actually. Any techniques on how to bench more weight? I can literally only bench 35kg / 77 pounds

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    If you are using proper form, your starting point is just your starting point.

You need a program that will be helping you to make those strength gains.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Eat at a surplus, eat plenty of protein, bench press low reps to failure
  • ChrisnSC
    ChrisnSC Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Google Icecream fitness 5x5 workout plan.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    BP has always been my weak lift.

I used a bastardized form of 5/3/1 and increased my 1RM around 26% in the past year. I'm on the cusp of 300lbs for estimated 1RM for first time ever.

I do inc. bp press(dumbells) and weighted dips as assistant work to improve it over the past year. These two have made the difference in my gains.

Keep your rep range low and work on proper form.
  • AJ_G
    Options

Jason Blaha is a complete idiot, I wouldn't follow any Ice Cream Fitness plans just based on principle...
  • ChrisnSC
    ChrisnSC Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yeah he is an idiot but he didnt create the 5x5. There are many variations and they all work. Just his version seems to come up when you google 5x5 workout,
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    Practically any exercise takes repetition and progressive overload to increase strength. I'd just keep working on adding 5lbs to your bench every couple of weeks or so.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AJ_G
    Options
    Yeah he is an idiot but he didnt create the 5x5. There are many variations and they all work. Just his version seems to come up when you google 5x5 workout,

I would think Stronglifts would come up first, or Starting Strength, but who knows...
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Is that your max for 1 rep of for more? Keep it at 1-6 for strength. Test your max every week.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    do weighted push ups?!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You don't need a special bench program right now, you just need more time in the gym while eating enough. You're at the beginnerest of beginners stage right now. Enjoy your rapid gains from a whole body routine a few times each week.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Check your form
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You'll be able to increase weight fairly quickly as you increase your neural adaption or mind/muscle connection. For the time being rep ranges are irrelevant. You will get stronger no mater what reps you do.
  • Bun_Ya
    Bun_Ya Posts: 174
    Options

Jason Blaha is a complete idiot, I wouldn't follow any Ice Cream Fitness plans just based on principle...
    Jason Blaha is a G! What are you talking about?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I've researched this question but I want to know what you guys think? I started the Gym 1 month ago and I thought I was strong but when I got to bench press I realized I'm not that strong actually. Any techniques on how to bench more weight? I can literally only bench 35kg / 77 pounds

start using a progressive load lifting program such as SL 5x5 or SS...
  • trhendersonNC
    trhendersonNC Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I went from 100 pounds to 115 pounds over the past couple of months. I tried 135 but couldn't do it - I think it was more mental than physical, though. I don't bench on a regular basis. I have been doing a boot camp class, but no specific chest exercises, though. In addition, 1 day a week I do a full body workout, but use a machine for my chest exercises. I have gone from being able to do 1 regular pushup to 20, so I am gaining strength.

So, in summary, it takes time in the gym.
  • Toomestwin
    Toomestwin Posts: 40
    Options
    Free weights is the only way. Smith machines are a waste, in my opinion, and only encourage people to lift in a way that works against the body's natural lifting form.

Make sure you're using good form. Plant your feet on the floor, grip the bar as if you are going to bend it in half, lower down to your sternum, pinch the shoulder blades, and push with your heels lifting the weight in a straight line. Set the ego aside and use light weights until you master the form first. I don't count reps. I lift until I sense I'm about to get in trouble. After a few sets, I drop to a light weight and burn out as many reps as I can. Your mileage may vary. This is what works for me.

I see so many folks benching with their knees tucked in on the bench as if it was a core exercise. That's a recipe for disaster that may seriously injure you.

As with any exercise that you can't just drop the weights when you get in over your head, use a spotter.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

start using a progressive load lifting program such as SL 5x5 or SS...

this is the only answer you really need to know.
    As with any exercise that you can't just drop the weights when you get in over your head, use a spotter.

or learn how to fail that lift (roll of shame or the weight drop)

or learn how to set up the power cage to bench- I did that on Friday- and I failed a lift- was just fine.