putting on weight easily post diet

Options
hi, from september to february i was eating only an average of 1200 calories a day + exercise burning approx 200 calories a day. i weighed 122lbs in february. Since february i've been eating 1400 a day and im finding im gaining weight and feeling bloated. does anyone know why/if this will stop?

Replies

• akshil
    akshil Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes !!!! It will stop , it is only the body storing more water after the hard diet at 1200 cals. you need to continue to eat more every week, something like +200 cals every day for a week till you get to maintenance weight. Please watch the following video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3gTGLulLnI
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    it will settle just takes time and unless your eating 3500 calories, your not really gaining weight try and ignore the scales, the weight can change for all sorts of reasons
  • salvyhead
    salvyhead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    1400 may be too much for you. Not saying it is - but it may be.

Finding your true TDEE is an exercise in trial and error because everybody's metabolism is different.

However you should be aware that if you were overweight for any number of years, a calorie's not a calorie. It's more like 1.2 calories. This is based on science, the work of Rudolph Leibel, et al, at Columbia. The New York Times published an excellent survey of the current knowledge, highly recommended, FYI:

http://tinyurl.com/laq3ncp

Generally speaking, for folks starting on maintenance, it's a good idea to take the TDEE number the online calculators give you and multiply it by 0.8. That will give you a more realistic number to start with and you can adjust from there.

S
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Finding your true TDEE is an exercise in trial and error because everybody's metabolism is different.

However you should be aware that if you were overweight for any number of years, a calorie's not a calorie. It's more like 1.2 calories. This is based on science, the work of Rudolph Leibel, et al, at Columbia. The New York Times published an excellent survey of the current knowledge, highly recommended, FYI:

Generally speaking, for folks starting on maintenance, it's a good idea to take the TDEE number the online calculators give you and multiply it by 0.8. That will give you a more realistic number to start with and you can adjust from there.

S

highly unlikely 1400 is maintenance...
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

S

OP's page states she is 19 and lost 13lbs. I very much doubt this applies.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    how much have you gained?

if you increased calories by 200 then you may have some glycogen replenishment going on, which is just water weight and not fat …

How long did you eat at 1200 for? You may have metabolic adaption which has lowered your TDEE ….
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    So, doing math reveals that you were eating 1,000 net calories a day for six months.

This may be the reason you are now gaining.

That seems an awfully long time to be consistently relying on so few calories to fuel your body. Is it possible your body became accustomed to this level of sustenance and now the excess calories it is storing in preparation for a return to the same level of eating/exercising?

ETA: You have not stated if your new cal goal of 1400 includes exercise or not.

This could mean (if you are not exercising) that you have now increased your cal intake by almost 50% of your original net cal intake (400 cals). Maybe you should increase slowly? I have friends on my FL who increased their cals by 100 or so in increments until reaching a new cal goal after being on very low cal goals. Some of them recovering anorexics. One of them just a few days ago still recorded weight loss. Read the topic mentioned above by the previous poster.

Here's a link you might find useful.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss?hl=adaptive+thermogenesis
  • rachelabell175
    Options
    ive gained about 4lbs since upping my calories but i was eating around 1200 for 6 months or so, im now at my goal weight and i want to maintain but its very difficult, most of my weight seems to have gone on around my stomach and im getting very bloated- is this likely to be water weight?
  • rachelabell175
    Options
    yes im still doing the same amount of exercise as before so am on an average net of 1200 now (not including calories burnt walking every day)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ive gained about 4lbs since upping my calories but i was eating around 1200 for 6 months or so, im now at my goal weight and i want to maintain but its very difficult, most of my weight seems to have gone on around my stomach and im getting very bloated- is this likely to be water weight?

more than likely glycogen aka water weight.

but as chocolate pointed out, since you have been netting 1000 calories for so long you probably have metabolic damage that has slowed your metabolism down ..

I would actually suggest slowly increasing your calories 100 a week until you get to 1700 and then see how it goes….if 1200 was one pound per week loss, then 1700 should be your actual maintenance level….
  • rachelabell175
    Options
    thank you:) ill try doing that
  • LindseyAlyssa
    LindseyAlyssa Posts: 156
    Options
    You don't have it listed anywhere on your profile and not in your post, so how tall are you? If you're shorter, you traditionally do not need as many calories as someone of average height. So any advice people might give you will very greatly without a gauge of how tall you are.

I'm 5'2 and with a sedentary lifestyle at the moment, I vary my calories from anywhere between 900-1400 and don't gain weight. Once I start going above 1600, I notice I do start packing it back on. However, from what you're saying it doesn't seem like you're actively gaining fat so much as water weight. Either that, or you're underestimating how much you eat and how many calories you burn. I've definitely done that before. It's easy to do if you don't really measure how much you're eating.

edit: should be noted that eating at the range I do, I lose max 1lb a month, so it's not like I'm starving myself and weight is falling off. Different bodies and lifestyles need different things.
  • rachelabell175
    Options
    im 5ft7:)
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's actual weight gain and not bloating? Because you keep saying bloating and a few pounds can easily be retention.

You are 5'7". You're not going to gain weight on 1400 cals/day. I'm surprised you're not still losing.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

S

why? MFP predicts my maintenance calories as 1500 cal/day, Katch McArdle predicts it as being around 1800 cals/day. Reality is that it's more like 2100 cals/day. 1800 is the right number of calories for me for a cut. 1500 is too low a number even for a cut, I'd be hangry and losing lean body mass at that number of calories. If I multiplied those numbers by 0.8 I'd be mega hangry and losing even more lean body mass.

the calculators are based on averages which means that there are likely to be just as many people whose calorie needs are underestimated by them as there are those whose calories are overestimated. In the absence of other information as to why someone's calorie burn may be lower or higher than average, then average is the best place to start, and adjust upwards or downwards from there.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    hi, from september to february i was eating only an average of 1200 calories a day + exercise burning approx 200 calories a day. i weighed 122lbs in february. Since february i've been eating 1400 a day and im finding im gaining weight and feeling bloated. does anyone know why/if this will stop?

were you eating those 200 calories from exercise? or were you netting just 1000 cals/day? You'll probably be experiencing weight gain from water and glycogen as a result of increasing your calories. This isn't fat, so don't freak out about it. I don't think 1400 cals/day is above your maintenance - that's the kind of number most people who lose weight on - so I don't think you're gaining fat. Feeling bloated may just be because there's more food in your intestines.

What you'll probably find is that after a while the weight gain will settle down (the weight gain stops when your glycogen stores are full), and you'll actually start losing weight again (more slowly) after that, because I'm guessing you're still eating at a deficit. Stay at this number, and don't eat less, as the long term problems caused by eating too little aren't worth it. It's a lot healthier to eat more and lose weight slowly. If you don't want to lose any more weight, then add 100 cals to your calorie goal every week until you hit a number where your weight is stable. Don't stress about day to day weight gains/losses (these are due to water weight) - focus on the overall, long term trend. Fat is gained and lost slowly. Jumps in weight from day to day are from water weight.
  • salbunnylettuceleafyexley
    Options
    i've put very little weight on since i lost weight, i find if i to eat ok all wk i can pretty much eat what i like on a wkend and not put weight on, the bloating could be anything, too much bread, allergy to somethin u have eaten, time of month, i think best way to deal with bloating is to perhaps take a break from eatin something which may be cause of bloating to see if u are intolerant to it, like not eat bread or pasta for a few days and drink lots and lots of fluid
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options

more than likely glycogen aka water weight.

but as chocolate pointed out, since you have been netting 1000 calories for so long you probably have metabolic damage that has slowed your metabolism down ..

I would actually suggest slowly increasing your calories 100 a week until you get to 1700 and then see how it goes….if 1200 was one pound per week loss, then 1700 should be your actual maintenance level….

This. 1400 calories is very low for a 19 year old who is 5' 7. I'm a 51 year old moderately active woman who maintains on 2000-2200 calories a day.

There are reasons we discourage low calorie diets. With patience and determination you can nudge your body to maintain on a higher calorie allotment. Best wishes!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person that said, "highly unlikely 1400 is maintenance..."

Yeah. I'm 5'9" 44 yrs old and am up to 1900 and will probably go up again for maintenance. 1400 is lower than I lost weight on!