No age barrier

Hello . I am 80 years old next year and luckily still fit and healthy. I joined myfitnesspal last year and find it is the best way to keep track of your food intake and exercise.i have tried all the usual "diets " over the years and they all work if you stick to them rigorrously. However,this is so simple to use. My main source of recipe are the Hairy Dieters books. If you love cooking ,which I do,the recipes are amazingly simple to prepare and I have 2 sons and a grandson who live with me who all love them . They say they can not believe how good the food is. I have just returned from 2 long holidays and gained a little weight but back on track again now easily.Good luck to everyone. Gwen.

Replies

• katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    What a wonderful post. You look absolutely fabulous and nowhere near 80 :flowerforyou:
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Good for you!!! You should be so proud of yourself. My best friend is 80 years old and I am trying to encourage her to "get moving!" She's getting more and more overweight but refuses to get out of her recliner.
    Do you have any "tips" or advice how I can gently "nudge" her to a healthier lifestyle? I love her so much and I want her to be around for a while.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Oh and what is your exercise routine?
  • gglcga4and8
    gglcga4and8 Posts: 3 Member
    Hello again. I have a disabled son who lives with me and we exercise together . I have bought him a piece of equipment which cost under £20. He can not walk so he just sort of pedals with his hands. It helps to keep him motivated while I walk on my treadmill. I do 30 mins a day at 5 k.sometimes I run on it a little but mostly walk . I feel so much fitter now I have lost weight. Round about a stone in the last 12 months. It is also nice to get flattering comments(all very nice at my age) Tell your friend that we of a certain age still have a contribution to make to show everyone we can be fitter and slimmer too . She could get a portable treadmill but keep it where it is ready to use every day . You sort of feel guilty when it is looking at you !! Wish her Good Luck. Let me know how she gets on . X
  • Sofie1313
    Sofie1313 Posts: 17
    Hi and good luck!

To be honest I am doing that much excercise in 2 months that you do in one day... quite shameful at my age (37).

Age is truly no reason and no excuse for being a couch potato, that's for sure. And by the way, do you have an example recipe maybe? I'm a bit of an oldschool cook (butter, wine, etc) so I'm always looking for actually tasty ideas rather than just boilt chicken with some raw vegetables next to it which might be healthy but ouch...