Does anybody have anemia or epilepsy?

Options
unfortuneately, i have both of them. my epilepsy is controlled for the most part, but still would like to talk to somebody that has it. also, anybody having anemia problems. i am taking pills but until they kick in so to speak, i feel woozy in the morning, and not 100%. any suggestions on that would be helpful as well.

Replies

• heathey
    Options
    I have been struggling with anemia the past few months as well. My Dr has me on liquid iron 2xday and ferrous gluconate 1xday and it finally seems to be helping. I know it can take several weeks/months to see results depending on how severe your anemia is. What does your Dr think?
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    My iron is normally low, but not super low. I am on an iron supplement. There is also iron in my multi vitamin. It does the trick for me. I try to give blood regularly, every two months, and since I've been doing this I've not been turned down for low iron like I was before.
  • DolphinLBL
    DolphinLBL Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have anemia and am on an iron pill once a day. I tried to go vegetarian before this was discovered and have now had to revert back. I don't eat much red meat because I just don't like it, but I would advice on whether that is really the only way to get off my iron pills. I try to eat spinach several times a week, and I just heard that pumpkin seeds can really help so I am adding them to my diet.
  • HEATHERB500
    HEATHERB500 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone you probably already know this but just on the off chance. You should always take your iron with orange juice or something else that is high in vitamin C it allows the body to absorb it. As far as the epilepsy meds many of them are depressants so I would discuss this with your doctor to determine if what you are feeling is a response to those meds and if there is anyway to safely lessen the side effects.
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    I've battled anemia for years. I am on an iron supplement, multivitamin and have been eating more iron rich foods raw, instead of cooked. Once my iron levels are normal I switch the supplement to every other day unless I'm not eating right. It took a couple of weeks for my iron levels to come up and steady out so try not to get frustrated if you don't feel better right away.
  • MBSNANA
    MBSNANA Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hello I like you suffer from epilepsy. I thought mine was under control. Had not had a seizure in 15 years until last Feburary. My daughter was driving and it scared her and my seven year old grandaughter to death. Was taken my ambulence to the hospital. The month before I had a dear friend to pass away. I was her care giver and was with her when she passed. Had been spending lots of time on the computer and not going to bed until one or two in the morning. Switch my doctor perscribed fluid pill to the night time which got me up all night long. Also my grandaughter had a really bad cold and I caught it. They think all of that combined pushed me into a break thru seizure. Lost my right to drive for six months. Been doing fine so far but will never consider myself seizure free again knowing that you can be throwned into them again. I have been on dilantin and phenobarbital for over fourty years. Have some trouble with memory at times but the neurlogist said that is a side effect of long term use of dilantin along with shrinking and bleeding gums. Hope you are doing ok. Feel free to add me as a friend. I have some great women on here who do not have the same problem as I but have walked me thru a lot with just being there.
    Have a great day. Kaye:smile:
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    I have anemia and am on an iron pill once a day. I tried to go vegetarian before this was discovered and have now had to revert back. I don't eat much red meat because I just don't like it, but I would advice on whether that is really the only way to get off my iron pills. I try to eat spinach several times a week, and I just heard that pumpkin seeds can really help so I am adding them to my diet.
    My husband is second generation vegetarian (my son is third), and their favorite iron foods are lentils, raw spinach, chic peas, split peas, broccoli and enriched noodles. We steam most veggies and frozen peas until they are warm, not soft. My son's cereal is enriched with iron and we make trail mix for his school lunches with nuts and dried raisins or apricots (both high in iron). Hope it helps you return to your veggie lifestyle.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I am anemic most of the time (says the Dr when he draws blood)- but I am a vegetarian (and a very picky one) so my diet is the problem. However- I have started adding a ton of protein to my diet and I dont feel the constant light headed/tiredness that I used to. (not sure why it helps but it does so I am not complaining......)
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I also have epilepsy, that has been pretty well-controlled. I won't go into specifics here but please message me if you have any questions or topics you want to discuss.
  • sunnymarielee
    Options
    I have been anemia for a long time I have to go to the hospital and get a enfed shot which is a iron shot once a week my body does not absorb Iron..do not drink tea if you are anemia it makes the iron not absorb in your body...
  • slimkat82
    Options
    Hi,

I haven't officially been diagnosed with epilepsy, but my husband keeps repeating that word to me and is very concerned with me driving.:cry:
    I have never had a seizure while driving, only in my sleep or when my blood sugar has been low (at least I think that has something to do with it).
    I've had MRIs, but neurologists have found nothing wrong with my brain.
    I am slightly anemic and I am taking the iron supplement Ferrex 150 Capsule twice a day, I also take a women's one a day vitamin and other supplements and try my best to eat right.:ohwell:
    Most of the seizures that I have had I noticed they have happen during my menstrual cycle. (I lose a lot of blood during it most of the time).
    How are the rest of you fairing with your conditions?:flowerforyou:

Slimkat82
  • slimkat82
    slimkat82 Posts: 13
    Options
    I am still taking my iron pills 2x's a day and I drink a smoothie with spinach in it at least once a day. Feel free to add me as a friend and let's cheer each other on know that you are not alone with this, ok?:flowerforyou:
    Been seizure free for at least 2 months, working hard on me including exercising.
  • samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with anemia a lot but I have now sorted the problem by changing my contraception to the Mirena coil - it's impregnated with hormones and after a little while you pretty much stop having periods (and therefore stop loosing blood). If it's an option for you I definitely recommend it as I always found it incredibly difficult to eat enough iron and supplements are difficult to absorb. I've now got a load more energy, don't have dizzy fits any more and my joints have stopped hurting.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm anemia but for B-12 deficiency and it made a huge difference once I started getting the B-12 shot once a month and taking the B-12 vitamin every day has really made big difference for me
  • AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    There are multiple types of anemia (Iron deficiency, Vitamin B12, Fanconi...). Iron deficiency is the most common in women owing to heavy menstrual periods. Birth control pills can help regulate flow and decrease blood loss. Also if you can't tolerate iron pills or don't want to take meds, then increase your iron intake. I personally eat a lot of spinach (fresh). I use it in salads in stead of lettuce, on sandwiches, in pasta, etc. Hope this helps.
  • slimkat82
    slimkat82 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice, but I think I will not opt for birth control pills or the hormone pills right now. :ohwell: I have however been eating more spinach and various nut for protein. I usually have my spinach in a smoothie (Nutribullet) with fruits and nuts, that seems to give me plenty of energy.:bigsmile:

Take care all talk to you again soon, don't forget if you would like to add me as a friend you may, ok?:flowerforyou: