Looking for others consuming less than 1200 calories/day

2»

Replies

• met_in
    met_in Posts: 17
    Also, if you are trying to lose weight because you feel "skinny-fat" the best you can do is have a really small deficit while you lift heavy for body composition, you'll feel and look so much better.

^^This. If you are in a healthy weight rage, but unhappy with the amount of fat on your body, you need to build muscle. Recomping will help your body look leaner and stronger. Lift heavy!

I really want to get into lifting weights, I have been reading about its benefits for a while now, I just really hate going to the gym, but I do want to incorporate that into my lifestyle gradually. This might be a silly question, but besides losing fat from my belly area, I also want to lose some of the chubbiness from my face, and my understanding is that I would have to lose weight in order to achieve that, I am guessing weight lifting on its own would not help with that and I would have to lose some weight, is that true?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Also, if you are trying to lose weight because you feel "skinny-fat" the best you can do is have a really small deficit while you lift heavy for body composition, you'll feel and look so much better.

^^This. If you are in a healthy weight rage, but unhappy with the amount of fat on your body, you need to build muscle. Recomping will help your body look leaner and stronger. Lift heavy!

I really want to get into lifting weights, I have been reading about its benefits for a while now, I just really hate going to the gym, but I do want to incorporate that into my lifestyle gradually. This might be a silly question, but besides losing fat from my belly area, I also want to lose some of the chubbiness from my face, and my understanding is that I would have to lose weight in order to achieve that, I am guessing weight lifting on its own would not help with that and I would have to lose some weight, is that true?

Weight lifting and eating at a small deficit you will lose weight. You can't choose where, it'll come off where it wants to when it wants to and problem areas are the last place to get rid of it.

Here are some links on lifting heavy.

Want to lift heavy things?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Stronglifts Summary
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts Womens Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • Sun_Wukong
    Sun_Wukong Posts: 131
    No one should ever go below 1200 cals, unless of course you are pro ana and this is your thing.......not healthy!

I think I am as far from being anorexic as possible, if you guys saw me in person, you would not be thinking that I am anorexic for wanting to lose weight. I think I am going to upload a few images in my profile that show how my body looks right now and how it used to look when I was 44 kilos. But if it is as unhealthy as people have been suggesting, I will add 100 more calories and be on a 1200 calories/day regimen.
    Even at a low weight people can retain a high BF% if they are inactive and consume insufficient amounts of protein which you have suggested you do...hence the term skinny fat.

I suggest you read and introduce the methods outlined in the link I left earlier so you get the proper macros required and take up exercise particularly lifting...because if the number on the scale is a indicator of your progress, lifting with the right balance of macros will help you drop you BF% but help you maintain a healthy weight range.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

FYI: I am not implying you are anorexic but people who suffer from this eating disorder generally have body dysmorphia therefore are never happy with their appearance, so what you see in the mirror may not be indicative of a healthy body if you had an ED.

44kg as you stated as a previous body weight is quite low, (my 13yr daughter is of a similar weight) and she is not overweight in any sense of the word, so curious as what your height is.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    I believe OP is about 5'2" (160 cm) if I read that correctly.
  • met_in
    No one should ever go below 1200 cals, unless of course you are pro ana and this is your thing.......not healthy!

I think I am as far from being anorexic as possible, if you guys saw me in person, you would not be thinking that I am anorexic for wanting to lose weight. I think I am going to upload a few images in my profile that show how my body looks right now and how it used to look when I was 44 kilos. But if it is as unhealthy as people have been suggesting, I will add 100 more calories and be on a 1200 calories/day regimen.
    Even at a low weight people can retain a high BF% if they are inactive and consume insufficient amounts of protein which you have suggested you do...hence the term skinny fat.

I suggest you read and introduce the methods outlined in the link I left earlier so you get the proper macros required and take up exercise particularly lifting...because if the number on the scale is a indicator of your progress, lifting with the right balance of macros will help you drop you BF% but help you maintain a healthy weight range.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

FYI: I am not implying you are anorexic but people who suffer from this eating disorder generally have body dysmorphia therefore are never happy with their appearance, so what you see in the mirror may not be indicative of a healthy body if you had an ED.

44kg as you stated as a previous body weight is quite low, (my 13yr daughter is of a similar weight) and she is not overweight in any sense of the word, so curious as what your height is.

I definitely fit the definition of skinny fat, this thread has made me decide to put a lot more emphasis on keeping the macronutrient ratios as opposed to the calories consumed. I have uploaded a picture of me at 53 kilos versus at 44 kilos in order to settle the body dysmorphia issue, I am 160 cms, so quite short.

http://imgur.com/a/T7FWv/layout/blog 1st image is at 53 kilos, 2nd at 44, I don't think I look anorexic in the 2nd image and that is where I would like to get back to. I am already reading the links about lifting weights, thank you so much!
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Hi OP, I started recently and am on 1200, eating back at least half of my exercise calories. I review the 1200 on a weekly basis and intend to increase the calories as I get nearer to my target weight.

I have also started weight lifting as a result of this website. I read a few of the oftmentioned programmes and chose "Stronglifts 5x5" for its simplicity and effectiveness. I am doing this in order to try to maintain muscle mass as I lose weight. Once I'm at my goal weight (9st 7lb / UK size 10) I will up my protein and start to lift heavier weights.
  • logg1e
    I've looked at your photos and converted your measurements in to metric. You look a very healthy weight to me. Do you know what your body fat percentage is?

In your first post you state two goals. You would like to weigh less than 47kg and would like to eat junk food. Do you mind me asking, "what is your actual goal?"? Is it to be a smaller dress size, be more toned or muscle-y..? I'm wondering if you actually need to lose weight or build more muscle instead.
  • met_in
    I've looked at your photos and converted your measurements in to metric. You look a very healthy weight to me. Do you know what your body fat percentage is?

In your first post you state two goals. You would like to weigh less than 47kg and would like to eat junk food. Do you mind me asking, "what is your actual goal?"? Is it to be a smaller dress size, be more toned or muscle-y..? I'm wondering if you actually need to lose weight or build more muscle instead.

I don't know my body fat percentage, but I think it must be pretty high. I have a few goals; I would like to have a more active lifestyle, currently I sit on a couch all day, except for when I am running around or hiking with my nephews. I would like to lose a LOT of fat from my belly area and just generally lose the chubbiness, because I don't look good in summer dresses or bikinis due to the fat. It really isn't just in my head, I have a lot of fat on my torso.

I would like to have a more toned body and just be generally a bit more healthy. I get really tired after climbing up a few sets of stairs. I think exercising, lifting weights and from what I understand consuming more protein and paying more attention to my macronutrients would solve most of my problems, but I am not sure I will ever be able to go to the gym regularly. For now, I would like to focus on getting a bit healthier via swimming and losing some fat via cutting back on my calories.
  • logg1e
    So three goals?

1) Increased fitness / more active lifestyle.

2) Less fat.

3) More muscle / look toned.

Are you me? I started off with just #2 but along the way I've realised that doing cardio for #1 makes me feel happy and #3 is perfectly possible for me looking at the Success Stories on here.

Personally, I'm doing cardio for #1 to help me achieve #2 and will then work on #3 from doing Stronglifts 5x5. At least that's the plan. If you'd told me four weeks ago that I'd be a member of a gym and attending classes I wouldn't have believed you.
  • met_in
    If you'd told me four weeks ago that I'd be a member of a gym and attending classes I wouldn't have believed you.

That makes me feel so much better :) And congrats!
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    5'2 and 112? I can definitely understand being "skinny fat" and wanting.. to tone up! I try to stay below 1300..Im 5'6 and 136...feel free to add me

more cardio and more weights!