Breaking away from calorie counting??

Options
Hi so I am seeing. Nutritionist and I was told to break away from calorie counting to gin weight? Is this a good idea? Because I am banking my maintamence calories for the weekends when I don't have work or school nd my husband and I go out, but I drink a lot of fluids like 10-15 bottles a day so my fluids throw off my weight on the scale a lot so I am never sure how much I weigh that week. A few days ago I weighed 95 lbs today I weigh 98...and I'm afraid that with me stopping counting and me weighing will scare me. What would you do?

Replies

• raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm going to weigh in with a "no". Not a good idea.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    How much weight do your nutritionist want you to gain and why?

I'm in the camp of not scaling my success by a number but by how I want to look personally.

Three lbs hardly seems anything to be "scared" of when you factor in everything that can change a number on a scale if you weight yourself so often.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hi so I am seeing. Nutritionist and I was told to break away from calorie counting to gin weight? Is this a good idea? Because I am banking my maintamence calories for the weekends when I don't have work or school nd my husband and I go out, but I drink a lot of fluids like 10-15 bottles a day so my fluids throw off my weight on the scale a lot so I am never sure how much I weigh that week. A few days ago I weighed 95 lbs today I weigh 98...and I'm afraid that with me stopping counting and me weighing will scare me. What would you do?

Are you also seeing a therapist/counselor? If so, what do they say about your Nutritionist's methods? Are you worried about relinquishing control and gaining...or are you concerned that you'll slip backwards and not gain like you should?
  • manningania
    manningania Posts: 52 Member
    Options

I'm in the camp of not scaling my success by a number but by how I want to look personally.

Three lbs hardly seems anything to be "scared" of when you factor in everything that can change a number on a scale if you weight yourself so often.

They want me to get into a healthy bmi because I would like to get pregnant they said to weigh at least 120 for someone who is 5'6
    I just don't know if three lbs was fat or water retention because I have not gone over my maintamence I have even kept under :/
  • manningania
    Options

Are you also seeing a therapist/counselor? If so, what do they say about your Nutritionist's methods? Are you worried about relinquishing control and gaining...or are you concerned that you'll slip backwards and not gain like you should?

They also want me to break away from calorie counting and so does my hubby, I want to gain weight so bad and I miss not counting... I just don't know how to not let counting control my life and gain in a healthy manner but I also would like to be able to treat myself and with me constantly counting I feel it's preventing me from letting myself to gain
  • ccf_trainer
    ccf_trainer Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Eat, eat, and eat. Seriously, you must eat 5 meals per day, or every 3 hours. That's three meals, and 2 or 3 snacks. Make sure you're eating the right foods as well. Don't worry so much about the calories or that will have you obsessing.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
  • PikaKnight
    Options

They also want me to break away from calorie counting and so does my hubby, I want to gain weight so bad and I miss not counting... I just don't know how to not let counting control my life and gain in a healthy manner but I also would like to be able to treat myself and with me constantly counting I feel it's preventing me from letting myself to gain

I can understand your reluctance and for some people in recovery, calorie counting works for them in terms of gaining and maintaining. But if calorie counting is leading you to slip back into old habits, then I can understand why your Nutritionist wants you to stop.

Talk to both of them and tell them what your concerns and fears are. Ask them to explain to you about the reasoning and to basically just help put you at ease. It won't be easy, but overall, you have to put your trust in them. If they feel that at this point, it might benefit you more for your gaining goals to stop counting, then give it a try.

Maybe when you talk to them, ask if it can be an option that if things don't improve sans calorie counting, that you can go back to it with the options of letting them monitor your intake and notes so they can give you more constructive advice. :)
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Eat, eat, and eat. Seriously, you must eat 5 meals per day, or every 3 hours. That's three meals, and 2 or 3 snacks. Make sure you're eating the right foods as well. Don't worry so much about the calories or that will have you obsessing.

Are YOU serious? She has an eating disorder. Just STOP. You don't go introducing food fear mongering crap to someone trying to recover. And meal timing and the # of meals is irrelevant. Some people do good with 2 meals, some with more. In this case, it depends on what her team is telling her...UGH.
  • manningania
    Options

I'm already obsessing and it drives my husband and I crazy lol I like to eat large amounts though which makes me nervous about stopping calorie counting lol
  • PikaKnight
    Options

I'm already obsessing and it drives my husband and I crazy lol I like to eat large amounts though which makes me nervous about stopping calorie counting lol

It sounds like you are more nervous about the gain, which might be why the Nutritionist is suggesting you stop with the calorie counting.

Just keep at it and always talk with your team if you've got fears and concerns. It'll take time but you'll get through it and it'll get easier to manage :)
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

Seriously, please stop. Please!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

They want me to get into a healthy bmi because I would like to get pregnant they said to weigh at least 120 for someone who is 5'6
    I just don't know if three lbs was fat or water retention because I have not gone over my maintamence I have even kept under :/
    If you were eating under your true maintenance, you didn't gain fat. That would be impossible. You would have to be eating over to do so, right? :smile:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Based on the limited information in this thread I am going to assume that you have some issues that need professional help and consequently it is likely to be beyond the scope of help you could get on an internet message board.

You need to get (or continue to get) professional help. Either listen to them or get a second opinion from another professional.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

Quiet, Quiet, and Quiet...Seriously, you must shut up..now and forever. That's now and for good! Make sure you are not posting, and not opening your lie hole. Don't worry, you won't be missed...
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Based on the limited information in this thread I am going to assume that you have some issues that need professional help and consequently it is likely to be beyond the scope of help you could get on an internet message board.

You need to get (or continue to get) professional help. Either listen to them or get a second opinion from another professional.

Do this.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    You need to get help from a counselor in additional to your nutritionist.

Best of luck!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Your story sounds similar to someone else that posted earlier under a different name. Same weight...and also a husband that wanted her to gain. Oh...and the same height.

It sounds as if you have an ED so possibly it would be better to follow your doctors orders instead of depending on anonymous strangers on the internet. I am sure that some of their advice might be valid...but...you need to work with your doctor.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means an expert, but it's my understanding that asking people not to count calories during recovery isn't uncommon.

Recovery is going to be scary, and I'm really sorry you're going through this. But no matter how scary and uncomfortable it is, NOT recovering would be so much worse. Continuing with an active ED will set you up for major health problems, and I think you mentioned wanting to get pregnant, which won't happen at your current weight. Keep focusing on the fact that your goal is to add to your family, and decide that you can and will do anything your treatment team asks you to do.

Other people have said this, but PLEASE listen to your treatment team! MFP is a good place to get support during recovery, but with the exception of a few individuals, it's not always the best place to go for information. You're likely to get a bunch of recommendations that are appropriate for bulking but are NOT appropriate during anorexia recovery, along with a good dose of broscience. Anyone on MFP who knows what they're talking about will never tell you to do anything that contradicts your doctors or nutritionist.