Am I on the right path to losing my belly fat?? Need advice!

Options
Hi everyone!

I've been using MFP for about two years on and off but I've never used the forum so here I am! I figured this would be a great place to go for advice and support. So...

My goal is to lose all of my belly fat within the next 30 days for a family trip to Virginia Beach and then keep it off and stay healthy after that. As you can see below, I don't have a large amount of fat to lose. Starting tomorrow, I plan to up my cardio to 5-6 days a week for 45 minutes walking on a treadmill on an incline and then do ab exercises (planks and stuff) on top of weights. MFP has me at 1260 calories so my diet has been:

Breakfast: Egg white and mozzarella cheese omelette
Snack: Handful of cashews and a tablespoon of semi sweet chocolate chips (so good!)
Lunch: Can of progresso soup or chicken salad.
Snack: Same as above..if I have time to eat it
Dinner: Chicken, fish or steak, corn and mashed potatoes...or shrimp.

I KNOW..I REPEAT..I KNOW YOU CANNOT SPOT REDUCE!! I know you must lose fat all over. :) Considering my routine, am I on the right path to losing this belly in 30 days? I don't even know how many pounds I need to shed to get rid of it so I'll just say 5. Is my diet okay? Is the workout enough?

HELP!

20140507_061806_zps01367e60.jpg

20140507_061845_zps5af0dc9c.jpg

Replies

• kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    where is the belly fat??
    personally i think you look phenomenal!
    :)
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    i agree she looks very nice she does have a little belly fat but with so little it wont take very long to lose it
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    my own judgeing in about 3 month that will go away but you might want to add more fruits and veggies to your diet :0
  • I_love_to_ride
    Options
    You you on the right track. You look fabulous in your pictures. Do not worry about a little bit of belly fat. Healthy eating and exercise will take it off. :smile:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    OP, Please…PLEASE look at this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1281688-from-skinny-fat-to-fit-and-muscular

Edit: I just want to add, I actually think you should eat more and lift and ditch the cardio (at least cardio as your plan for the majority of your exercising).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Actually, you look awesome. You can't change your basic shape.

30 days to try and beat any body fat is unrealistic.

Have you thought of heavy weight lifting?
  • ashnicbro
    ashnicbro Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Awww thank you all for the compliments! Every time I tell someone I am trying to lose my belly fat or when I turn down fatty foods, everyone looks at me like i'm crazy and say "Lose what?!?" lol. Trust me..the fat is there! lol

I will definitely try to add fruits to my diet. I love apples, don't know why I don't eat them. :)
  • gail70zur
    gail70zur Posts: 6
    Options
    If I had a belly that looked like that, I would not be worried at all about sitting on the beach. In fact if I sit on the beach they would send for the 'save the whale society' and start hosing me down....go and enjoy your holiday, its not a time be obsessing :) Go and have fun :)
  • cadaver0usb0nes
    cadaver0usb0nes Posts: 151 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1281688-from-skinny-fat-to-fit-and-muscular

Edit: I just want to add, I actually think you should eat more and lift and ditch the cardio (at least cardio as your plan for the majority of your exercising).

THIS!
  • ashnicbro
    Options

Honestly, no. Why? I am terrified that I am going to get too muscular. I am actually fine with every other part of my body EXCEPT my stomach. I am naturally skinny. Runs in the family.,
  • ashnicbro
    Options

She looks great! I'm just scared that I'm gonna look crazy with a bunch of muscles when I'm naturally skinny. That just my body shape. I will definitely research this though.Thanks! :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Honestly, no. Why? I am terrified that I am going to get too muscular. I am actually fine with every other part of my body EXCEPT my stomach. I am naturally skinny. Runs in the family.,
    Fair enough. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :smile:

ETA: but weight lifting does wonders. I know because I do weight lifting and have seen wonderful changes in my body.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Takes years to get muscular, so lifting weights for 30 days ain't going to do it.

Switch your steady state cardio to HIIT cardio. Train harder and more intense in a shorter time. This increases RMR which is what you need to burn body fat. Why? Because the majority of body fat is burned AT REST.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mslovecats
    mslovecats Posts: 49
    Options
    Hi!
    You look great. To lose belly fat, you should simply cut out all dairy products. Don't eat canned soup or any processed food. Eat more vegetables and fruit.
    As for exercise, do the hula hoop exercise. Or just simply imagine it is there, try to suck in your belly and squeeze your belly muscles for the entire duration of an exercise. Do at least 100 in each direction to get rid of the waist fat. That way you won't have "scary" muscles. Also, whenever you can, suck in your belly and hold for as long as you can.
    Good luck!
  • JenTracey
    JenTracey Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree, no processed food,no dairy except greek yogurt, fresh low gycemic vegetables. Dr. Oz has a 14 day jump start that is wonderful. I lost 10 1bs in 2 weeks mostly from my belly. Keep it up
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred? It is perfect timing and will get you tightened up all over. It is only 20 mins a day and is a mixture of strength, cardio and abs. Do a search on the exercise board and see what wonderful results people get! I am on day 3 of level 2 but I didn't do level one properly, just 7 sessions over 2 weeks but my mid-section is looking so much better already. As the others have said you look wonderful already but this dvd will really tone everything up quickly :smile:
  • ashnicbro
    Options
    Have you heard of Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred? It is perfect timing and will get you tightened up all over. It is only 20 mins a day and is a mixture of strength, cardio and abs. Do a search on the exercise board and see what wonderful results people get! I am on day 3 of level 2 but I didn't do level one properly, just 7 sessions over 2 weeks but my mid-section is looking so much better already. As the others have said you look wonderful already but this dvd will really tone everything up quickly :smile:

Ive heard about it but ive never seen anyones results from it. I will check it out! Thanks!
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    To lose belly fat, you should simply cut out all dairy products. Don't eat canned soup or any processed food. Eat more vegetables and fruit.
    As for exercise, do the hula hoop exercise. Or just simply imagine it is there, try to suck in your belly and squeeze your belly muscles for the entire duration of an exercise. Do at least 100 in each direction to get rid of the waist fat. That way you won't have "scary" muscles. Also, whenever you can, suck in your belly and hold for as long as you can.
    I agree, no processed food,no dairy except greek yogurt, fresh low gycemic vegetables. Dr. Oz has a 14 day jump start that is wonderful. I lost 10 1bs in 2 weeks mostly from my belly.

No. Just no.

Losing fat anywhere on your body has nothing to do with the types of food you eat. The only times you should cut out any food is (1) you don't like said food, (2) said food makes you feel ill, (3) you simply don't feel like eating said food, or (4) your doctor has a medical reason for having you cut said food from your diet.

Also, while hula hoops are certainly fun, they are no the magic exercise to reducing belly fat.

Fat is lost through a calorie deficit.
  • 12by311
    Options

She looks great! I'm just scared that I'm gonna look crazy with a bunch of muscles when I'm naturally skinny. That just my body shape. I will definitely research this though.Thanks! :)

Holy cow, I've never actually had a female tell me they were worried about getting "a bunch of muscles". I've read about it happening but never gotten that response.

OP, I'm not being rude but PLEASE understand that gaining muscle is NOT an easy task. It's a major commitment and crazy hard work. People don't accidentally build muscle for the most part.

Take a look at the gaining weight board and the people trying to gain muscle.

Look at the success stories about, females especially, bulking for muscle gains.

Another thread to check out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1096001-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky

It's fine if skinny is your goal instead of fit, but again building muscle isn't by chance.
  • 12by311
    Options
    Hi!
    You look great. To lose belly fat, you should simply cut out all dairy products. Don't eat canned soup or any processed food. Eat more vegetables and fruit.
    Good luck!

Holy guacamole.