How to remove lower abdomen fat?

Options

Replies

• lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    One great tip is to ignore all those ads that pop up about "5 foods never to eat to melt belly fat" - it's all BS!!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Did you mean tire?

Yes I think it would be,"tyre" is the British spelling of "tire" :-)

^^^ this

in British English tyre is a thing you put on a car's wheel, and tire is what happens when you get tired... as in a British mechanic saying "I don't like changing all these tyres, it really tires me out..."
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it is the hardest area to lose from. but i have good news! you're 18 years old, and in a much better position to lose it than guys 30+.* keep eating right, and exercising hard. barbell training is your friend.

*yes, i know older guys can have a rocking six pack, it's just a bit easier when you're younger!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 10lbs and am not seeing any difference to my belly. It's the biggest part of my body. It's just below my naval where all the fat is. It's like a tyre around my waist. My top two packs are showing and I would like the rest of them to show. I know spot reduction can't be done but is there anything I can do?

Ummmm, what? :huh:

Liposuction?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Is there like a rough guide to how many pounds need to be lost for an inch of belly fat to be removed?

No, there isn't. Even aiming for a certain body fat % wouldn't guarantee it because people show at different levels (I guess is how you'd put it).

Just keep incorporating a strength routine and work on your body composition and lowering your body fat%.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    it is the hardest area to lose from. but i have good news! you're 18 years old, and in a much better position to lose it than guys 30+.* keep eating right, and exercising hard. barbell training is your friend.

*yes, i know older guys can have a rocking six pack, it's just a bit easier when you're younger!!

At 48 it isn't any easier. So 3 options lad: #1 Lipo(not recommended) #2 Freeze the area(forget the technical method but I wouldn't recommend it) #3 keep lifting and reducing BF(body fat) and over time they will show, and at 18 you'll get there faster then most. So Review: #1 NO// #2 No// #3 YES---->takes longer is something you can repeat and involves your willpower not your wallet. Best of luck.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Do Americans say tire for both feeling fatigued and the things on car wheels ?

Yes. Some Canadians still go by original British, but not a lot. The people that pointed it out (for no reason, you know what was meant, sheesh) must be feeling a little silly now.
  • ashlinwash
    ashlinwash Posts: 1
    Options
    Lower abdominal fat is one of the hardest areas to get rid of fat, but the good thing is if you stay committed to working out and doing cardio you will eventually lose the weight. You have to shed the fat which you do not have any control over where your body wants to burn the fat. It could be in your arm your legs your shoulders it really just depends on your genetics.

Also, nutrition goes a very long way. Make sure you are eating the proper diet. I know for me I began a shake meal replacement plan where I replaced 2 meals with shakes and ate one healthy meal full of green leafy veggies and lean protein. Within 2 -4 weeks i was able to feel and see the difference. This has helped to reduce my stomach size dramatically.

I personally do 45 - 60 min of cardio on the bike or elliptical hit about 500 crunches 250 obliques every workout.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 10lbs and am not seeing any difference to my belly. It's the biggest part of my body. It's just below my naval where all the fat is. It's like a tyre around my waist. My top two packs are showing and I would like the rest of them to show. I know spot reduction can't be done but is there anything I can do?
    David, just keep doing what you are doing and enjoy the changes in your body. I wish we could choose where to lose fat but it doesn't work that way.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Also, nutrition goes a very long way. Make sure you are eating the proper diet. I know for me I began a shake meal replacement plan where I replaced 2 meals with shakes and ate one healthy meal full of green leafy veggies and lean protein. Within 2 -4 weeks i was able to feel and see the difference. This has helped to reduce my stomach size dramatically.
    Actually, you lost weight due to the calorie deficit not because of the shakes and eating healthy. You can eat whatever you want at a calorie deficit and still lose weight.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Did you mean tire?

NO, Tyre would be correct in proper English :-p
    Seriously? Tire with a y? Like tyre? ??? Lol
    [/qoute]

Don't laugh, just learn to spell correctly ... No need to appologise (oh look , no zeds) , we're used to it :-p
  • ccf_trainer
    ccf_trainer Posts: 86 Member
    Options

You're not alone. Many people have this issue, and believe it or not, I've had this issue myself, even though I never really needed to lose weight (only gain weight). The problem is you're retaining water. It's not really fat. If you're consuming foods with lots of sodium, that's the effect it will have. There are many ways you can reduce that. Keep doing crunches, keep drinking lots of water, sweat (and I mean SWEAT), flex your abs (trust me, it works), and reduce your sodium intake.
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Laser lipo? I don't know if the results lasts, but I went for a session and measured 3cm less around my waist after 30 minutes.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I personally do 45 - 60 min of cardio on the bike or elliptical hit about 500 crunches 250 obliques every workout.

If you can do 500 crunches and 250 obliques every workout, you need to change up your exercises - that is great for endurance.... but not challenging your muscles to increase strength. Try some hanging raises or variations on planks... :wink:

Also almost any swiss ball exercise or BOSU - you need destabilization to train your whole core, not just the origin of your rectus abdominus,
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

You're not alone. Many people have this issue, and believe it or not, I've had this issue myself, even though I never really needed to lose weight (only gain weight). The problem is you're retaining water. It's not really fat. If you're consuming foods with lots of sodium, that's the effect it will have. There are many ways you can reduce that. Keep doing crunches, keep drinking lots of water, sweat (and I mean SWEAT), flex your abs (trust me, it works), and reduce your sodium intake.

soooooooooooo much wrong information here.

OP, stay away from doing lots of ab exercises, as they do nothing to reduce your abdominal fat. and crunches really are the worst ab exercise, because they don't really hit your abs at all. if you want to do good crunches, do them on a swiss ball, while holding a weight behind your head, and this will strengthen your core. not remove belly fat.

losing fat is about your calorie deficit.
  • LifterDave
    LifterDave Posts: 112 Member
    Options

You have just discredited yourself as a trainer by telling this guy it is just water retention and not fat and by leading him to believe that he might be able to spot reduce his lower gut.
    1. How do you know it is just water retention?
    2. How do you know it is because of sodium and all he needs to do is reduce it.
    3. As a trainer, you should know that a person can NOT spot reduce fat in his abs.
    4. You should also know that as a trainer that if there is abdominal fat covering his abs and it is not burnt off, all crunches will do is make his belly bigger because of increased muscle mass under the fat.
  • cniemann26
    cniemann26 Posts: 49
    Options
    Ok, jus to say this before I post it, I have no idea how credible this article is, but it was pretty spot on for me. Again, I have no idea if this will help anyone, but I thought I would share just incase it did. Good luck!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2007052/How-tame-tum-Is-spare-tyre-stress-bulge.html
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I will tell you what I have experienced and what is documented.... may be hard to do but you can do it if you are determined. Cut out all sugar, including fruits, all dairy expect a small amount of shredded mozzarella cheese on salads... small amount and NO BREAD for about 14 days. You will see abdominal FAT go away. Unless you have no fat and it's just untoned muscle. Then re-introduce bread back into your diet at a VERY slow and minimal rate. VERY slow.... and you will maintain your weight loss.... do some walking to get your heart rate up too... it helps.... water of course. Good luck!