Lose Body Fat Gain Muscle - Lift vs. Strength Train???

Options
Hi All,

I hope I am not asking a question that is been asked on here 100 times, but I have recently gotten my weight down to my goal, but now I would like to lose more body fat and gain muscle. I am a 26 year old female, down 40lbs total, 5'5, 150lbs, and 29.5% body fat. I would like to get that body fat number to about 25%. I already eat pretty well, and I workout 5-6 days a week doing strength and cardio. My question is, is there a difference between strength and weight training? should I be lifting heavy? how often should I be doing weights, and cardio? Should I change my diet drastically? My net cals are 1400, and I generally eat back my exercise calories. I want to have a nice firm and tight body!! I cant afford a personal trainer but I need help!!!

Replies

• raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm in for this thread. I'm starting a recomp process next week.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I would think that if you're already at your weight goal then you should switch to eating maintenance calories (TDEE and not eating exercise calories back) and lifting heavy. Look into Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting for Women for help with the lifting part. A good calculator to figure out your TDEE is the calorie calculator on scoobysworkshop.com.
  • ccf_trainer
    ccf_trainer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I hope I am not asking a question that is been asked on here 100 times, but I have recently gotten my weight down to my goal, but now I would like to lose more body fat and gain muscle. I am a 26 year old female, down 40lbs total, 5'5, 150lbs, and 29.5% body fat. I would like to get that body fat number to about 25%. I already eat pretty well, and I workout 5-6 days a week doing strength and cardio. My question is, is there a difference between strength and weight training? should I be lifting heavy? how often should I be doing weights, and cardio? Should I change my diet drastically? My net cals are 1400, and I generally eat back my exercise calories. I want to have a nice firm and tight body!! I cant afford a personal trainer but I need help!!!

Weight training IS strength training, but there are many different methods of strength training you can do. There's intervals, power, endurance, resistance, plyo, kettlebell, bodyweight...the list goes on. I think the perfect thing for you, if you want to lose the body fat, would be to get into crossfit. Find a good crossfit gym that has tractor tires, sleds, ropes, and medicine balls. You are really going to benefit from this style of training. I'm a crossfit trainer, and I highly recommend this.
  • CatWhispererrrr
    CatWhispererrrr Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Can you explain a bit more about what cross fit is, and what some of the exercises are?

Thank you so much!