Protein

How much protein should a healthy man(age 20-26) need?

Replies

• ccf_trainer
    ccf_trainer Posts: 86 Member
    That depends on what your BMI is.
  • JonathanJ1996
    JonathanJ1996 Posts: 8 Member
    it also depends on if you train or not and what kind of training you do
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    I have copied the following text from this REALLY HELPFUL post on setting calories and macros. I recommend you read the whole post.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

COPIED TEXT:

There are 4 macronutrients. A high level explanation of each of their functions is:

Protein, which is required for muscle retention/growth
    Fat, which is required for healthy body functions
    Carbs, which provide energy
    Alcohol, which provides for embarrassing photos

Macronutrient goals should really not be based on percentages, but on grams which vary depending on your size and activity levels.

We would recommend, as a rule of thumb, the following:

1g of protein per lb of LBM as a minimum target

0.35g of fat per lb of total body weight as a minimum target

The balance can fall where you wish, taking into account performance, satiety and adherence.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member

Why would BMI matter? Height, weight and body fat are far more important to know. BMI is BS. Per the BMI scale I am overweight, but I have 21% body fat.

bmi-comparison.gif

OP: 1g of protein per pound of LEAN body mass is a great starting point.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member

http://health.herbalife.com/a-balanced-diet/nutrition-tools/lean-protein-estimator

Other then this link I couldn't think of a reason to tie protein to BMI. OP .8 to 1 g of Protein per pound of LBM is usually recommended. Best of luck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member

Why would BMI matter? Height, weight and body fat are far more important to know. BMI is BS. Per the BMI scale I am overweight, but I have 21% body fat.

bmi-comparison.gif

OP: 1g of protein per pound of LEAN body mass is a great starting point.
    This. Lean composition should be the measurement to strive for to try to find out how much protein one may need to consume.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member

I have seriously spent a large part of my day looking at your posts, just to see what kind of garbage you are telling people....

OP if you are going to listen to anyone, make sure it isn't this guy..niner and usmc give solid advice.