What is the reason you decided to lose weight?

Options
What happened where you started saying "I need to lose weight." or "I need to get toned."
Mine was a mix of where i couldn't wear my favorite shorts, my stretch marks were really noticeable (they have gotten alot less noticeable lately), and my brother started saying things like "You are losing control of your appetite." but i think the main thing was i am so inspired by my dad losing alot of weight (34 lbs in 5 months).

Replies

• chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend.

Until i met him i was just over eating myself into oblivion screaming 'I DONT CARE IF I GET FAT' to anyone that confronted me. It was fast food for dinner every single day, 8-12 chocolate bars a day and my diet was just 95% junk.

When i met him i found a reason to take care of myself again. I wanted to make him proud and look good for him...now later down the line it's more for me and being healthy but he was my initial motivation. I haven't eaten any fast food in 8 months now and don't even miss it...and when i treat myself to chocolate occasionally i appreciate it so much it's incredible :happy:
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I knew I needed to lose weight, but it wasn't until November 2012 that I made the decision. While eating Thanksgiving dinner, I got this horrible shooting pain across my abdomen, ran into the bathroom, and started puking. There was an awful lot of blood mixed in and it kind of freaked me out. The pain didn't go away, even after I stopped vomiting. After about an hour of going in & out of the bathroom (nausea didn't go away at all), my mom suggested we go to the hospital. I agreed. Sitting in the ER on Thanksgiving, doctors told me that it was my gall bladder & it needed to come out, but also that my kidneys weren't functioning properly, there was something not quite right about my liver, and after the 1st x-ray, there was a spot on the bottom of one of my lungs. Needless to say, I was a little freaked out. Started working on the weight loss January 1st, 2013 (figured I'd enjoy the holidays), and I'm down almost 50 pounds (70 from my heaviest known weight back in 2011).
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I want a baby. I read about the dangers of being over weight and pregnant and what I read frightened the hell out of me.
    I want my baby to have a healthy start in life and I dont want problems (if they occur) to occur because of my weight.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I didn't liked how I looked in a mirror so I started a diet and exercising, as simple as that really. I remember being fat and didn't liking how I looked for long time. But I don't even know what triggered me actually doing something about it. Just something clicked in my brain one day and I was like "time to do this".
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I was exposed to hidden mold in my freakin home and developed an infection from it. That was 4 years ago and I have spent thousands of dollars and been through dozens and dozens of tests to be told what I dont have but no one knows WHY I cant walk 300 feet without being short of breath. Im told the mold issues with my lungs will never go away but "shouldnt" get worse.

............yet 4 years later...I cant breathe and nobody really knows why

So...I have to get the weight off as fast as possible in a healthy way of course. 20 pounds in and I can tell a difference, maybe not huge but a difference nonetheless
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    It was a fitness goal for me. I needed to get to my weight class for competitive kick boxing. I also needed more muscle for upper body power. Then I read up on some women here who lifted and decided to try that out, too. As long as I don't bulk it's a perfect addition to kick boxing :smile:
  • FairlyOddChelle
    FairlyOddChelle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Not like there weren't many reasons already, but since I've gotten engaged last year and will be married this year, babies are in the not-so-distant future. I'd like to lose weight before even going down that path. I get worried when I read about some of the complications being overweight cause and just for my future children's sake, I'd like to be able to keep up with them. It seems to be a fantastic motivator, since I've lost 35 lbs. so far, with still a lot to go, but I'm happy and excited.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Exercise alone wasn't cutting it anymore and the scale was creeping up.
  • stephaniebirdy
    Options
    I've never been a small girl, and i've always been extremely self concious about my thighs. When I met my boyfriend I became comfortable and started eating more and more, and exercising less and less. My clothes gradually started to get tighter but I didnt think too much of it. Christmas 2013 I weighed myself, and I was at my absolute heaviest at 13 stone 7lb. I couldnt believe how much i'd been letting myself go!
    I was feeling down and hated how I looked. Im so glad i've made the decision to change my lifestyle! I feel amazing, still a lot more to lose, but it all takes time :)
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Going to college in a few months. Figured this was about as good a time as any to get control of my diet. I want to learn portion control and calorie counting so I could preempt the 'freshman 15' I keep getting warned about. I also want to not look vaguely chubby for the first time in my adult life.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I had literally no trousers left that fit. None. I was starting a new job and had NOTHING to wear. So I decided this was it. And haven't looked back!
  • mistiblake08
    mistiblake08 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I ave tried several times to get healthy and lose weight because I wanted my boyfriend to be proud of me and to motivate him to lose weight, but they failed. Now I'm doing it because I'm not happy with my job and I want to become a FBI field operative. I've been wanting to for years, but never had been motivated to look into it. I've got the motivation now and I'm down 21 lbs. :)
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Probably when I noticed my size 40 pants were getting too small, and I still had 38, 36, and 34's still in the closet.
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    This thread helps, because I need to be reminded of my motivations.
    It was both cumulative and acute: ongoing pressure of clothes not fitting, therefore every day, nothing to wear; shame and discomfort of my body, particularly my midsection; and finally the deciding event was discovery my blood pressure reached near hypertension level, and I feared a stroke.
    I recognize many other motivations now but the blood pressure was the impetus.
    Thanks for this thread.
  • april979
    april979 Posts: 39
    Options
    My boyfriend and I used to enjoy many summer activities together like kayaking, hiking, camping, swimming and volleyball on the beach but last summer I wasn't having fun, I was making excuses not to go because I was too self conscious of how I looked. I don'twant to go this summer like that too. Im going to stick to this and make the changes I need to
  • PurpleCupcakes01
    Options
    Because I'm fat
  • jenabugg
    jenabugg Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have many reasons, but it was my latest illness that really got me going. In the process of running tests, the doctor told me I had early signs of arthritis in my hips! I don't want to become immobile, so it was time to exercise and lose weight.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My face was getting big (I wear glasses so they looked way too small), I could barely put on my clothes (I'd have to jump up and down a bit to get my pants on), and I had sore back and knees sometimes. I also got tired quickly when I played with my cousin and I wanted to be able to keep up more.
  • amandasimons50
    amandasimons50 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've always been on the heavier side. Since having my son, I am the heaviest I've ever been at 252 (now 247..yay!) aside from when I was pregnant. I knew I wanted to get in shape and be healthy for my son but I wasn't really motivated because I never really felt unhealthy until about a month ago... I've been sick often (allergies, sinuses, not sleeping well, tired all the time, even some chest pains) and it really is taking more and more effort for me just to move. The final breaking point was when I took my son to the park the other day and he wanted me to crawl around in the "tunnels" under the play set and I was moving around slowly and grunting the whole way from the effort... I felt old and overweight... I am only 25 and I don't want to spend my life sitting on the sidelines watching my son play, I want to be running and playing with him... So I have tried dieting before and I was all about loosing as much weight as I could as fast as I could and it never stuck because I was depriving myself... This time I'm doing it the proper, healthy way and taking it one day at a time... And I'm praying that this time I can stick with it :)
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    The final realization that if I did not do something then I would kill myself early. I have two young sons who I want to see into adulthood. Being diagnosed as being prediabetic on 22 February this year finally gave me the wake up I needed. At 127kgs (280lbs) it was nearly the heaviest I have ever been, but the threat of needing to be medicated for the rest of my life caused the fight response I needed.