I need a fitness guru

Options
jodybo2
jodybo2 Posts: 116 Member
How do you know if you are eating enough? Some people on here say if you are not losing then you are not in a deficit. I do not want to lose any muscle and I'm afraid that is happening now. Here is my predicament.. I am 5'2" 128 lbs. I am in the normal BMI range but I am VERY flabby. I have a 29" waist and wear a size 10! Most people my weight wear a 4-8. I want to lose FAT. I have been on mfp over a year. I made my best progress in the beginning when I was logging inconsistently and going over way my goal every day. I do not know how much I should be eating. Here is a breakdown of my last several months:

Calories Calories
Gross Net Weight change Waist size change
1969 1370 -2 0
1999 1697 2 .5
1844 1439 -2 -.5
1900 1581 0 .25
1835 1710 1 .25
1659 1422 0 -.5

I am eating around 80g of protein a day and am trying to step that up. I sit all day at work but I do 50 minutes of resistance training 3 times weekly and jog/walk 2 miles daily.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    How do you monitor what calories you consume? Do you track everything, or just sometimes? Weigh with a digital food scale or estimate portions?

On the other end of the spectrum, how do you determine your calorie burns? HRM, MFP estimations, machine estimations, etc.?

With under 10 pounds to lose, what is your goal deficit? I'd think 250-500 at most would be reasonable, but because you're smaller you would burn less daily & in exercise than a larger person. Accuracy in food in + exercise out is very important with a low amount left to lose.

Also, you may want to step up your strength training efforts. Tone the muscles that lie beneath.
  • jodybo2
    Options
    I track everything and weigh solids when I can. I do eat at restaurants maybe twice a week and then I have to guess. I also use mfp's exercise burn estimates and I know they are probably off which is why I have been looking more at my gross calories recently. I don't know what my goal weight should be. 108-121 is normal for my small frame. I may just need to eat less????!
  • raetwssrae
    raetwssrae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you want to tone up, you're going to need to build muscle, which is most likely going to make you gain weight. THIS IS NOT A BAD THING. You're going to be looking better and feeling better. I don't know how into cross training you are, but that is a GREAT muscle builder, and all out fitness regimen.
  • jodybo2
    Options
    Yes! I don't mind gaining weight as long as my measurements go down. A gym is not an option. It has to be at home. The workouts I do incorporate a small amount of cardio, a lot of dumbbell moves (10 pounds), squats, push ups, bridges, crunches etc.. I'm just not sure how much to eat to accomplish the muscle building/fat loss.
  • raetwssrae
    raetwssrae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Use your own body weight. There are plenty of exercise programs out there that require you to use your own body weight to strengthen your core especially, which will help you tone up in general.