Do you work out with DOMS?

Options
I went to the gym yesterday (2nd day) and I feel incredibly sore today. Every part of me hurts.... and I'm debating whether to work out today or not. What do you do when you're sore?

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. Don't exercise same muscle two days in a row tho if you are lifting. But apart from that moving out muscles lightly with light weight or doing cardio can help you recover faster. Also massage, warm bath, a lot of water, stretching and foam rolling.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Yes, I avoid lifting with the same muscle group, or just do some long, light cardio keeping my HR around zone 2 or 3. That's a good time to watch Netflix on my phone while doing the elliptical or bike.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yep. i find exercising the next day helps shorten the time I'm sore
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Agreed with everyone above - don't skip the workout, and work another muscle group if possible. If not possible, still work out, but try lowering the intensity if you absolutely must.

ETA: Warm showers and stretching may help with the pain. Also, if you are lifting, post-workout protein tends to help me with DOMS, and seems to work for a lot of other people too, although I don't know why - maybe try that.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Yes at a lower intensity. I find it helps get rid of the DOMS.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Yes. Depending on where you're experiencing DOMS - but if its your legs try walking. If you have a foam roller use that to help too.
  • CountDown321
    CountDown321 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. One of the best way to help DOMS is to be active.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    If it's chronic, sharp, or intensifying, I'll take at least a day off to let it patch up. If it's really tight and sore and I've been going hard for a while, I'll go lighter and stretch more afterward. If it's just "ouch, I'm still feeling that last workout," I'll ignore it.

"Rest days" can still be active, though. Yesterday I skipped my planned workouts to give my lower back and shoulders some extra recovery time... but my legs were fine, so I walked... about 8 miles total.
  • LadyBos
    LadyBos Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely. I don't feel normal anymore unless some part of me is sore.