First 5K Ever will be (RocRace) Anyone else?

Options
IrishOKel
IrishOKel Posts: 14 Member
I signed up for my first 5K and its the Roc Race coming up on July12th. I am a terrible runner, and always have been. Even when i was in "good shape" in high school. Dreaded running, hated it, and never had any endurance. I started the c25k app yesterday and I was able keep up with it... walk 90 seconds run 60 seconds 8 times...but wow it hurt!
I decided on the roc race because the obstacles in between look like a lot of fun! I am hoping they break up the monotony of running the entire time (short attention span)
Has anyone else who was a "non runner" succeeded in becoming a "runner"? -Any advice is helpful!!
Or anyone done the Roc Race before? What should i be expecting?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Me! I always hated running - switched from basketball to volleyball in high school sports because there was less running! :tongue:

At the age of 43 I downloaded a c25k app and followed the plan. Over two years later, I'm still running and enjoying it! You'll do great - and having that race on the horizon is a great motivator to stick with it.
  • ViperAlexHusband
    Options
    Started running in January as part of joining MFP. Am doing my first 5K this Thursday (leceister summer series), so will know on Friday if I've succeeded in becoming a runner or not...
  • trhendersonNC
    trhendersonNC Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am doing a Roc Race in June. I have done Rugged Maniac 2x, a local 10K, and Tough Mudder. I am going to do another 5K mud run, a 10K, and Tough Mudder again this year. In 2015 my goal is the Spartan Trifecta.

I am STILL not a runner. I keep plugging away, and I hope that some day I will be able to run an entire 5K without stopping.

The Roc Race should be fun!
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I can't run anymore due to a joint disease and neck problems but I try to walk about 4 miles a day. I wish I could run!
  • megqbrown
    megqbrown Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I ran cross country in high school, but hadn't run since then. I just recently decided to try running again (it has been about 8 years) and I did an 8 week training plan. I ran my first 5K since high school just this morning! If you just stick to it and do the workouts even though its no fun, you will see improvement every single day. Having gone from not even being able to run a mile to running the entire race and getting a time of 35:03 (and not being nearly the last runner to finish, though no shame in that!), I have faith that you can do it too! Its definitely do-able, and running isn't nearly as dreadful now that I've gotten better at it, which I bet will be the case for you too.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I spent most of my existence hating to run, but I ran a 5K last weekend. I still wouldn't say that I enjoy running, but I enjoy the fact that I'm capable of doing so (since my doctor told me that I wouldn't be able to run again following that fateful day when I dropped a television on my ankle).
  • ViperAlexHusband
    Options
    Ok completed my first 5K tonight, finished 44th with a time of 0:24:04 (compared to my PB of 0:23:04 on the treadmill)