Help!!!

Options
Ok, so I have looked all over the net and I cannot figure out how many cal to eat each day to lose weight, and how many cal I need to burn off each day. I want to lose a LARGE amount of weight in a short amount of time. I have had 2 heart attacks in the last year, God blessed me with NO scar tissue and im clear to do what needs to be done to lose weight. I am 5' 4" 398 lbs @39 years old. Can anyone help me out please.

Replies

• perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Glad to see you are getting serious about weight loss.

The calculator I use: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I would recommend eating approximately a 1,000 calorie deficit. Since you have so much to lose, you can stand to have a larger deficit than most.

In terms of exercise, anything that gets your body moving is going to help you immensely. I recommend starting with a small step, taking evening walks 3-5x per week. Start with a 15-30 minute walk and increase it as you start feeling more comfortable and confident.
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    ok so if my BMR is 2504 and my TDEE is 3771 that means I need to burn off 3771 cal pr day and take in 3017? that's -20% Im sorry im just trying to figure this out lol.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    ok so if my BMR is 2504 and my TDEE is 3771 that means I need to burn off 3771 cal pr day and take in 3017? that's -20% Im sorry im just trying to figure this out lol.

No, it means you need to eat 3017. Your body is always burning calories. Your BMR of 2504 is how many calories you would burn just lying in a coma. Your TDEE is how many calories you burn total each day when you consider activity. Your 3017 calorie goal keeps you functioning but creates a calorie deficit which is needed to lose weight.

As you have already had two heart attacks, I would recommend proceeding with your weight loss under a doctor's supervision and not trying to lose a large amount of weight in a short time (unless your doctor is telling to you do that and is supervising you). Fast weight loss means you lose muscle as well as fat, and your heart is a muscle. You don't want to do anything that could weaken that muscle any further. 2 lbs a week is within the range of healthy weight loss.