Does dietary fiber knock me out of ketosis?

Options
lucciiee
lucciiee Posts: 4 Member
Guys I need help, does dietary fiber knock me out of ketosis? ..not pure fiber, but fiber in my Quest Bar :embarassed: :D There is 17g of dietary fiber and 1g of sugar in 1 bar (1g should be really fine..) What do you think? Thanks :))

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have read people clocking blood sugar spikes from quest bars and other things using sugar alcohol and similar "fibers". Any bar in particular ?
  • lucciiee
    Options
    Great :) What about this one? http://www.questproteinbar.com/protein-bars/cookies-and-cream-box-of-12.html there's written Isomalto-Oligosaccharides (Prebiotic Fiber)
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Great :) What about this one? http://www.questproteinbar.com/protein-bars/cookies-and-cream-box-of-12.html there's written Isomalto-Oligosaccharides (Prebiotic Fiber)
    I'm a Type I diabetic who controls my blood glucose with a ketogenic diet, and I've tried several of the quest bars - all with the same result.

After eating a Quest bar I get the equivalent spike in glucose I'd get from ~20g of carbohydrate.

Can it "knock" you out of ketosis? Any excess carbohydrate can. For me I've found it best to ignore any "net carb" claims on what is supposed to be a low-carb processed food item. The only 'fiber' amounts I deduct are the well-known and trusted dietary fiber amounts in fresh vegetables and fruits.
  • keleto1
    keleto1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Quest bars have never knocked me out of ketosis... but I suppose everyone is different.
  • ladycham
    ladycham Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm... love Quest bars and I eat them pretty much daily. They have never knocked me out of ketosis... only tasted delicious and given me good numbers for my fiber column. :)
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Possibly a stupid question, but how can you tell if something has knocked you out of ketosis? Is it just based on lbs lost that week or something more immediate?
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Possibly a stupid question, but how can you tell if something has knocked you out of ketosis? Is it just based on lbs lost that week or something more immediate?
    The only way to know for sure is to measure ketones. A blood ketone meter is the most-accurate method, and what I personally use every day.
  • lucciiee
    Options
    Thank you for your responses! :) I ate one yesterday evening and I'm fine - still in ketosis (I've measured it) :)