Arthritis is not going to stop me!

Options
MrsKaby
MrsKaby Posts: 9 Member
Hi all I am a uk mum of 2 and have put quite a bit of weight on over the last 2 years since being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis.

I have decided it's time for some serious weight loss. I'm not getting any better with the medication and I have come to the conclusion that I really do need to be much lighter so I can move myself easier and my husband can move me without me feeling ashamed of myself.

I would love to make some friends to help me along the way nd and give me the odd kick up the bum!

Replies

• motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Hi - from UK too - you're welcome to add me if you would like :smile:
  • MrsKaby
    Options
    Thanks I will! :)
  • ToniLewis94
    ToniLewis94 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello Mrssewyummy, I also have RA. Weight loss and exercise helps me a lot. but I do not like to exercise, so I need a lot of help with the exercise, too.
  • MrsKaby
    Options
    I don't like the exercise, so I'm going to talk to my physio and see what they can advise.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Once you get started exercising you will love what it does for the joints. Just be sure to do your research on appropriate exercises to do. You might start out slow but over time you will be amazed at what you suddenly are able to do.
  • mjtbb
    mjtbb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm another RA warrior. I know exactly what you mean. I just had a hip replacement in Jan and have decided that enough is enough. I lost about 40 pounds 2 years ago using MFP. Unfortunately, I got some kind of skin infection in my leg and ended up taking antibiotics and prednisone. That combo is a killer for me. The antibiotic gives me metal taste and is all I can do to stop eating trying to get rid of it plus the prednisone makes me hungry and I lost all willpower. I know its my fault, can't just blame it on the meds. After that my hip gave up on me and using a cane was not conducive for my treadmill. So here I am again. Starting at the same place I started the last time. This time I'm not going to let meds derail me. I'm not allowed to exercise yet but I'm doing okay with just the calorie restriction for the time been. (I just started 2 weeks ago). I think that in 5 weeks I'll finally be done with the hip replacement restrictions and hope to start my treadmill again.

You can do it! Like I said, I lost about 40 pounds last time with only the treadmill as exercise so I know you can too. There is a lot of support in this site so enjoy the trip, it will be worth it!

You can send me a friend request if you want.

Melanie
  • MrsKaby
    Options
    Melanie! Nice to know that there are others out there. My hips and back are very bad for me at the moment, and I've just been put back onto prednisone which also gives me a huge appetite. It's also nice to know that it is possible to loose the weight!
  • MrsKaby
    Options
    Once you get started exercising you will love what it does for the joints. Just be sure to do your research on appropriate exercises to do. You might start out slow but over time you will be amazed at what you suddenly are able to do.

I'm just going to stick to some walking until I can get to see my physio, I can't even stand long enough to iron a shirt at the moment so I am very much hoping that exercise will help.
  • LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Agreed that finding the right exercise can change the world! RA from birth, here, plus a few other things in that same family of conditions, and I do have some flares and bad days, but the more I exercise, the more I *can* exercise. And the more weight I lose, the less I hurt, too. I even managed running for a few months. Body-weight squats have made my hips and knees more stable than they've ever been.

The trick is to build up slowly, and learn your limitations. There are several things I cannot do, from damage in my wrists, shoulders, knees/hips, and feet, but I can find workarounds and do other things.

Best of luck to you, and feel free to send me a friend request if you'd like to add some achy friends. :flowerforyou:
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

I'm just going to stick to some walking until I can get to see my physio, I can't even stand long enough to iron a shirt at the moment so I am very much hoping that exercise will help.

Go to youtube and search for chair exercises...there are tons out there for people that have trouble standing. I used some at first. I also did some chair yoga that helped a lot.
  • MrsKaby
    Options
    I never even thought of you tube! Thanks I will have a look.
  • groovyreba
    groovyreba Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I have psoriatic arthritis which is very similar to RA. It totally sucks, doesn't it? I have been very active for the last few years and lost about 25 pounds. I was so proud of myself and then I went into a flare that wouldn't stop. I'm still having significant hip pain, but they say there is nothing wrong with my hip. I've tried every biologic out there except remicade. None have worked for an extended period of time. Now, I'm gained back all of my weight and then some. I need to lose about 50 pounds! I'm starting again but more slowly and I'll be exercising in the pool instead of running like I had been. Feel free to add me if you'd like. I need all the encouragement I can get and I pride myself in being able to encourage others. (I just wish I could encourage myself.)
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site. Please feel free to add me.