Is the damage already done?

Options
Hi everyone,

I have started losing weight. I am pretty young. I have been fat for most of my life. I have lost 20 lbs but been in a rut. I worry that the damage is already done (not to say that I shouldn't lose the weight). I am upset because I feel like being fat for most of my childhood has already taken to toll on my body. I worry that it's too late. That I can't be healthy like people I know. Almost, like a smoker or maybe alcoholic? Even though I " quit" i still did the damage. Is this true? I have 80-100 lbs to lose. I've only lost twenty. I just would like to know if I've done the damage and really messed up my life ( irreversible damage). I don't have any diseases. But I didn't eat well. I'm 220 lbs now.

Replies

• CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    It's never to late to get fit and healthy. While there may have already been some damage done, most of it can be reversed. I'm on a journey to lose 100+ lbs, feel free to add me!
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way a lot of the time. So I say screw it. There's only one way to find out. Add me! ;)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    who knows?

But why not be the best you can be now?

I didnt start this until I was 40. That was two years ago and it has been worth every minute. I choose me, and you should choose you because you are worth it.

before47819967_2405.jpg

now
    47819967_4295.jpg
    47819967_3429.jpg
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Now is always the best time to start. Just think about it this way, at least you aren't waiting until you're heavier to start, then you'd have that much further to go! Congrats on how well you're doing so far. You'll get to where you want to be, you just have to keep your focus on your goal.

I think all of our experiences shape who we are, so you can wish you'd done it differently before, but then you wouldn't be who you are now. I could wish that I had been thinner as a child, in high school, in college, in my 20s, but then maybe I wouldn't have ended up with my wonderful husband and the great life we have now.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    You have the power to dramatically improve your life, if you embrace the opportunity and dedicate yourself to it. It's never too late to make improvements, but as you're young your body will bounce back much better now than later in life. Don't let the fear of not being perfect prevent you from getting to great. Get to it - you will be surprised at how much of a difference it makes.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 (almost 43), and lost 180+ lbs - Medically I am the healthiest I have ever been and I feel great...

It is never too late to make changes... the body is a pretty amazing machine in its ability to repair itself
  • maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    The question isnt "Have you caused iriparable damage"... The question you should be asking yourself is "If I continue my life as it is, will it be a better quality of life compared to if I made changes now" and the answer would be no

Its never to late to make improvements... You started off on the wrong track, or you turned down the wrong track at some point so far... Tomorrow is another day, draw a line under your past mistakes and start a fresh from today :)

You will find as you lose the weight, you become happier and as such your quality of outlook improves... That cant be a bad thing.

I doubt youve damaged yourself in a way that cant be fixed.... Work on what makes you happy :)

:flowerforyou:
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'm totally straight, but that pic in the white set, makes me wonder if I want to be you or be ON you!!! You look amazing

who knows?

I didnt start this until I was 40. That was two years ago and it has been worth every minute. I choose me, and you should choose you because you are worth it.

before47819967_2405.jpg

now
    47819967_4295.jpg
    47819967_3429.jpg
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I've had similar thoughts. But you will only regret it if you don't try now.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Start now - it's never too late. And it's worth it.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    LOL thank you:blushing:

calorie deficit and a barbell.
  • prochefonal
    Options
    You look good, girl! I would never guess you are the same person as your before pic. Losing weight took off like 15 years!
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 10 years. After quitting I could breathe better, taste better, felt better and all the little injustices I did to myself began reversing. It wasn't overnight but it was and is very worth it. I probably dodged the Cancer bullet. Weight loss is no different. :) You could throw in the towel and harm yourself further, or give your body time to heal by treating it right. Everything else will fall into place and you'll be happier and appreciate your health that much more. Good luck!
  • homemademama
    homemademama Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Honest to god I think I went on my first diet when I was 8. And I'm still working on it. But I'd like to be healthier next month than I was last month, And even better off a year down the road. Saying you can't undo every bit of damage damage is the same black and white thinking that tells you that since you screwed up and ate 1 donut you should go ahead and eat the other 11. If you can undo some of the damage, have better stamina, breathe easier, have more energy would it still be worth it to you? Even if it's not perfect can't it still be exponentially better?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Never too late! Check out some of the success stories, they are inspirational.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Not much of the damage you do to your body with gaining weight is irreversible. Just keep at it and you'll get healthier. That's basically a guarantee.

And random fact: Three years after a smoker quits smoking, their risk of heart attack is the same as someone who has never smoked. So really . . . it's rarely too late to help yourself.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    It's never too late! Don't delay, because that's just one other day that you are not being good to yourself and you deserve the best you can give yourself!:flowerforyou:
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    People have gone 500+ lbs to ironman!
    Only strech marks are irreversible without surgical intervention,rest you can fix,keep at it.you will love the results.
    Good luck,work hard and enjoy
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    who knows?

before47819967_2405.jpg

now
    47819967_4295.jpg
    47819967_3429.jpg
    *humps leg*
  • thatredheadedBAMF
    thatredheadedBAMF Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same thing when I started at 26. I was morbidly obese, 100 pounds overweight, and had just been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease, an autoimmune disease of the thyroid. I felt so old- I was exhausted, slow, and in pain. I had been fat my entire life, was teased, always on diets, doctors telling me I was too fat, you name it, I heard it. Feeling so awful and being diagnosed with this illness so young was certainly a catalyst for me. But no pictures of thin people, no books, no pep talks motivated me to actually do it. I found that outside "motivation" only frustrated me. It took me YEARS to lose that weight and I went through cancer treatment in the middle of it, but I just kept on going. I just kept doing my thing: working out, making good food choices most of the time, and knowing that it was worth it because of the dramatic improvements in my quality of life. I did it for me, on my own timeline, and through trial and error. I would do it the same way again.

I likely did do damage to my body, hence my illnesses, but it could also just be bad genes. They don't know. It's also not my fault that I was raised by people with horrible eating habits and didn't know any better. But I stopped any further damage that could be caused by a bad diet and being sedentary. It's only too late when you're dead. Seriously.