Hi I'm John

Options
Hey everyone! :)

My name is John, I'm 22 (23 in 2 weeks :D) and am hoping to meet some people here that can help me out. I am currently ~315lbs and looking to drop at least 100lbs. Luckily I am almost 6'3" so it doesn't look THAT bad, however I am very unsatisfied with how I am and am looking to make a change... but therein lies the problem. I have a long list of sleeping and anxiety problems (obstructive sleep apnea/insomnia/etc) to the point where I am on disability because of it. I have also been dealing with depression since I was in High School which is where I put on most of my weight because most of the time I just didn't really care about myself.

Lately though, I started thinking, and I decided that I need to start making the change to make myself better, but it is incredibly hard to balance a proper diet and exercise when my sleep pattern and motivation just don't wanna work with me 99% of the time. I know losing the weight will greatly impact my sleep in a positive way, but it's a vicious circle of having such a hard time moving around during the day to get the exercise to fix that problem.

I have already done things like cut out any form of junk food (fast food, pizza, any soda that isn't diet or has calories, etc) and limiting what I eat everyday. That however is only going to get me so far and I really need to find a way to be able to start moving, it's just really hard for me. If anyone has any advice or can relate I would gladly welcome any help, tips or opinions. Thanks!

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Hi John recently someone posted an NSV (non scale victory) thread about conquering his sleep apnea with weight loss. Use the search feature to find that. I think if will inspire you.

Good luck on your goals. You got this.
  • daver10
    daver10 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello John,

It's not a place I have been personally but I have some suggestions based on some of the things a friend of mine did. Perhaps try hiking/walking to start with, a lot of people have their ipod in and listen to podcasts etc. A friend of mine who was a similar weight did this for the first 6 weeks, before work for 1hr. You could see your disadvantage of not being in work as an advantage as you could easily spend more time doing this. Depending if you can do this where you live?
  • jlessard91
    jlessard91 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the response guys! I read that story and I guess I just have to try and start off slow with walking and just tough out the tiredness. Another hard part is that I'm one of very few who cannot tolerate the CPAP machine because of my severe anxiety (Breathing in the forced air, even on the lowest settings gives me panic attacks and I just couldn't adjust to it after trying several times).

I appreciate the feedback and will try and stay positive and see what I can do. Thanks again! :)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. The good news here is that many of the problems that you listed may very well be helped by dealing with the weight issue. Exercise releases endorphins which are "feel good" neuro-transmitters which will likely help counter the depression, especially if you are out in the Sun which releases vitamin D (of course, don't burn). Weight loss can well improve the sleep apnea and sleep disorders as well.. There is a relationship between anxiety and depression and sleep disturbances anyway so if you can fix one, it is likely that you will help the other. We all wish you the very best. Jump right in there and we look forward to seeing your success stories here.
  • jlessard91
    Options
    Welcome aboard. The good news here is that many of the problems that you listed may very well be helped by dealing with the weight issue. Exercise releases endorphins which are "feel good" neuro-transmitters which will likely help counter the depression, especially if you are out in the Sun which releases vitamin D (of course, don't burn). Weight loss can well improve the sleep apnea and sleep disorders as well.. There is a relationship between anxiety and depression and sleep disturbances anyway so if you can fix one, it is likely that you will help the other. We all wish you the very best. Jump right in there and we look forward to seeing your success stories here.

Thank you very much! :) I'm really enjoying the friendly community here. I've been a lurker here for a while, but finally decided to make an account and post, and I'm glad I did and will defiantly post updates with my progress!
  • 12bfree
    12bfree Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Forgive the cliché but one step at a time, one day at a time seems appropriate. Personally, I think you have already won the first battle. Where the mind goes the body will soon follow. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your success.
  • AeiriMuse
    AeiriMuse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Reading the comments you have thus far, the lot of them took many of the words I would say.

Anyone can think up and want to make a change in their life, but it takes true courage and strength to take the steps to actually change.

Welcome!

I can relate to you on multiple levels, the only exception being the height to hide the extra weight. (As a petite 5lbs is the difference of several clothing sizes. It's a nightmare.) A couple years back I was approximately 195lbs at 4'10. Most nights I would have vicious night terrors, stop breathing for long periods of time, and wake up from what looked like solid sleep feeling like I had just pulled an allnighter. I -UNDERSTAND- sleep apnea. Even after 25-30lbs lost, I still occasionally get hit with it and it sucks.

As someone else said, you've taken the first step. You've begun to make a change by adjusting your intake. You've put yourself out here on the forums. Next, you add some friends and open google. My biggest motivator has been research--it still continues to be--alongside MFP friends. Seeing them working and accomplishing their goals and streaks push me to want to do better myself.

Yes, I may still be dealing with sleep apnea and the occasional night terror, but it's been significantly less since I lost 20lbs. Don't give up. I'm not sure what you have set up as your exercise plan, but know that it will not feel good at first. It ranges between two to four weeks before your body finally begins to really register that "feel good" but IT IS WORTH IT.

I've also been struggling with depression--though when I have a consistent schedule of kicking my *kitten* and water therapy, it's not as easy to fall into the dark hole. You feel stronger, not just physically, but mentally.

Sorry for the TLDR, but as soon as I read your post, I couldn't help it. It's a wonderful place here. A lot of good people working towards similar goals.
  • jlessard91
    Options
    Reading the comments you have thus far, the lot of them took many of the words I would say.

Anyone can think up and want to make a change in their life, but it takes true courage and strength to take the steps to actually change.

Welcome!

I can relate to you on multiple levels, the only exception being the height to hide the extra weight. (As a petite 5lbs is the difference of several clothing sizes. It's a nightmare.) A couple years back I was approximately 195lbs at 4'10. Most nights I would have vicious night terrors, stop breathing for long periods of time, and wake up from what looked like solid sleep feeling like I had just pulled an allnighter. I -UNDERSTAND- sleep apnea. Even after 25-30lbs lost, I still occasionally get hit with it and it sucks.

As someone else said, you've taken the first step. You've begun to make a change by adjusting your intake. You've put yourself out here on the forums. Next, you add some friends and open google. My biggest motivator has been research--it still continues to be--alongside MFP friends. Seeing them working and accomplishing their goals and streaks push me to want to do better myself.

Yes, I may still be dealing with sleep apnea and the occasional night terror, but it's been significantly less since I lost 20lbs. Don't give up. I'm not sure what you have set up as your exercise plan, but know that it will not feel good at first. It ranges between two to four weeks before your body finally begins to really register that "feel good" but IT IS WORTH IT.

I've also been struggling with depression--though when I have a consistent schedule of kicking my *kitten* and water therapy, it's not as easy to fall into the dark hole. You feel stronger, not just physically, but mentally.

Sorry for the TLDR, but as soon as I read your post, I couldn't help it. It's a wonderful place here. A lot of good people working towards similar goals.

Thank you for this reply. What you said relates to me quite a bit, as I have the same sleep problems and have also been doing a ton of research on what I can do to try and get going. I've already gone for a few walks along with changing my diet up... and it is pretty hard haha, but I will try and keep at it. My first mini goal is to hit 299lbs, I think being under 300lbs after being there for years will really motivate me to keep going. Thank you again for your support! :)
  • jlessard91
    Options
    Forgive the cliché but one step at a time, one day at a time seems appropriate. Personally, I think you have already won the first battle. Where the mind goes the body will soon follow. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your success.

You're absolutely right and all my friends and family who support me have been telling me this for a long time and I just wish I had the motivation and drive to start this sooner. Oh well, I can't dwell on the past, I can only look towards the future and do the best I can from day to day.

Thanks for your reply! :)