Cutting back the calories! Need Help/Support!

thatgirl17
thatgirl17 Posts: 21
edited September 22 in Motivation and Support
Hi,

I dont know if its just me but I have only been counting my calories for the past 2 days. Based on what I want to lose and excercise etc. MFP allows me to take in 1400 Calories a day....However I must have been consuming double that in a day prior... Basically my point is I NEVER feel full. Only being able to take in 1400 I feel so starved and munchy all day long. My meals feel like a snack I don't know how to keep myself feeling full within my calorie budget. Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone have any suggestions how to keep myself feeling more satisfied and curb those munchy cravings?! Any help and suggestions would be honest....I just want to be successful on my weightloss this time! Please Help!

Replies

• Its taken me a few days to get use to also... I drink more water and it helps to make me feel full.. have water with you at all times. This 2 shall pass. Good Luck!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    What are you eating? I find that eating processed foods (esp processed carbs - "box" dinners, pasta, bread, cereals, etc.) leave me very unsatisfied, but when I get in lots of fresh veggies, quality protein (real protein - not protein powder!), healthy fats and healthy carbs (quinoa, barley, legumes, etc.), then I'm very satisfied even on 1200-1400/day.
  • You don't have your food diary public, so I'll have to ask what type of foods are you eating?

High protein and fiber foods will keep you feeling full longer. Feel free to take a peek at my food diary for today. I'm a little under 1400 calories for today and so far I've been feeling very full.
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    I bet you feel full- you are just used to eating a lot.

You need to revamp your eating- empty calories out- good filling calories in. Foods high in fiber are wonderful for helping you beat of the hungries!

Just hang in there and DRINK your WATER! Don;t give it 4-5 days- commit to 30 days and try to CHANGE your eating habits a little bit at a time and see what happens!

DO NOT GIVE UP!
  • jtfish112
    jtfish112 Posts: 44 Member
    Hi there. I'm not sure what you're eating now, but a high protien breakfast usually helps keep my appetite under control for the day (I usually have 1 egg + 2 egg whites in an omelet with some onion and garlic and a piece of fruit on the side). Also, I've heard that cinnamon is good for controlling your appetite. It works best if you have it early in the day, like maybe some cinnamon oatmeal for breakfast. Try to eat a little something every couple hours, that might help too. Lastly, get in some exercise to add more calories to your daily total.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • 4amber
    4amber Posts: 4
    Salad, salad, salad...did I mention salad...or steamed veggies, veggies, veggies. I know its hard but if you can get your self to a point that you can enjoy a salad with a little rice wine vinegar or lemon juice it will help. If you can do it fill your salad with lettuce dark and green leaves, and then fill it up with herbs..lots of them. when I make my salads at home, they are mixing bowel size. My husband thinks I'm crazy but it helps. We have trader joes where I am, and I love brocoli. I eat the whole bag at work in addtion to my lunch. Its only 70 calories but it is warm and helps me feel full. You (and me too, I lost 60 lbs about 5 years ago and now 45 are back) will just have to retrain ourselves...we can do it...sometimes you'll have to take it one bite at a time :)
    Best Wishes!
  • ok so my advice.... eat 5 or 6 small meals instead of BLD and snacks - that helped me.
    Also eat bulkier foods - ie grapes, watermelon, oranges instead of orange juice.
    Lastly Igo for soups! you get the liquid and low calories for the Health Choice. 90 cal for one serving!! Good luck!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Just a suggestion to toss around in your head. If you were consuming 2x what MFP allows, then maybe start out w/1800-1900 calories to gradually train yourself to eat less. Then gradually reduce it as you start to get the hang of it. And yes, like the previous posters said, you may find filling up on fiber rich foods, a decent amt of protein and plenty of water will help.

Hang in there!!:flowerforyou:
  • What are you eating? I find that eating processed foods (esp processed carbs - "box" dinners, pasta, bread, cereals, etc.) leave me very unsatisfied, but when I get in lots of fresh veggies, quality protein (real protein - not protein powder!), healthy fats and healthy carbs (quinoa, barley, legumes, etc.), then I'm very satisfied even on 1200-1400/day.

I agree with this 100%!
  • Try to increase your exercise? And earn back calories? That's what I've been doing, and it helped me stay motivated.
  • I started this a day or two before New Year's. I'm doing much better, but there are still days when I'm just hungry. All day. Everyone else is right....high fiber, high protein, lots (and lots and lots) of water. It's getting better for me. I didn't realize how much I actually consumed in a single day (probably 3,000-4,000 on a normal day - and God forbid I went out to a Mexican restaurant for dinner with friends!!!!! GASP!!!) until I found MFP and started logging it all in and being accountable for it. 1,200 calories a day is nothing for me - that was a good meal before this. You'll feel better in a few days, I promise. And your stomach will start to "shrink" a little and you'll feel more full as the days go by. Hang in there!
  • i am having the same issues as well as you. i am 15 weeks pregnant, and trying not to overeat, as i have already gained 12 pounds, which is a lot fo rme
    i dont have a ton of advice, but apples really do fill me up, and they taste sweet to me. give that a try :ohwell:
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    ok, so i'm the same way, which is why i eat over 30 grams of fiber and 100+ grams of protein a day. I don't eat anything that I can live without, like pasta, bread, candy. I rarely even chew gum. But I find that the more protein you eat, usually the more full you are. Unfortunately, this also tends to be a more expensive diet than the everything in moderation diet. High protein foods, like fish, poultry and meat tend to be more pricey than a box of pasta.

Give it a shot, it may work for you. Everyone is different.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    When I'm feeling like I'm simply not satisfied, I eat a lot of thin all veggie soup made primarily of onions, celery, and tomatoes and a lot of water at about 50 calories per cup. The experience of eating a bowl of hot soup is makes me feel fuller than the same number of calories consumed in crackers or even protein. There's just something very comforting and satisfying about holding a big steamy bowl of soup (2 cups is a LOT!) and eating it one bite at a time with a soup spoon. It just really feels like I'm eating a lot more than I am.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    I've noticed on these forums that most people don't seem to feel that hungry, but that was never me. It took a LONG time experimenting with different things for me to finally get to the point where eating less did not make me feel like I needed to take a bite out of the next thing I saw or I would go off the deep end. Here are some tips:
    1) Eat more protein, more veggies and LESS processed foods. Especially pay attention to the glycemic index in foods. Basically, highly processed foods (like white flour, sugar, etc.) are high glycemic foods and vegetables and whole grains are low.
    2) Determine if you have a nutrient deficiency. I did, and supplements have helped alot.
    3) EXERCISE. This did two things for me. It curbed by appetite, which sounds counter intuitive, but it is true, and you get to eat more when you exercise. I always eat my exercise calories.
    4) Eat the same amount of food, but space it out in smaller portions throughout the day.
    5) Every time you eat, make sure you eat the three basic food groups. Never just eat one element (like snacking on popcorn), make sure you have a healthy fat, protein, and whole grain carb in each snack or meal.

I couldn't have lost the weight I have so far if I hadn't made those changes. Good Luck!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Maybe this will help

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

"Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode) "
This discussion has been closed.