Body Image

Options
With all of this weight loss, I am still seeing my original self when I look in the mirror. I have dropped two t shirt sizes and two pant sizes. I get compliments a lot but I still struggle with seeing the smaller me. What is a good way to get over this and feel comfortable in your new body?

Replies

• xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same, I still feel like I'm the same size I used to be, even when I look in the mirror, it's still the same reflection looking back at me.
    It wasn't until I saw some pics of myself side by side, that I actually thought OMG what a difference, I would fully recommend you try looking at before and after pics, you'll be amazed, it makes all the hard work worthwhile.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    With all of this weight loss, I am still seeing my original self when I look in the mirror. I have dropped two t shirt sizes and two pant sizes. I get compliments a lot but I still struggle with seeing the smaller me. What is a good way to get over this and feel comfortable in your new body?

It's always good to see the before and after photos on here, so how about posting a few of those

Everyone always gets positive feedback so that will be encouraging; but more importantly, you will surely see a difference when the photos are next to each other

You're right though, it's always difficult to see when the change is gradual. Most of us probably felt the same at some stage - but dig out a photo of when you felt you looked at your worst, and you'll be proud of what you've achieved so far
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    One good thing is to figure out what body image means to you.

For some people, they have certain ideals and insecurities about body types and so on. It's a lot of nonsense, but it can be deeply internalized.

The most straightforward way to see it is pictures though, definitely.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Old pictures, putting on old clothes that are now too big, being able to compare fitness levels from 3, 6 months ago to a year ago or more. Little things like these help put things in perspective but the biggest thing I found that helps is time. I was nearly 500 lbs for most of my 20's and didn't bother change until my late 20's. It takes time for my brain to realize I am no longer as heavy as I was. As time goes on your mind catches up with your body.
  • joesimtre
    joesimtre Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That struggle is one I continue to struggle with and I've lost over 100lbs, 10 pant sizes and 4 shirt sizes. You saw yourself in a light when you were heavy too. You probably didn't even notice how big you had gotten, I know I didn't notice. It's crazy what the mind can show you. Sometimes we just see what we want to see. Keep the struggle alive. You're serving as motivation for others.
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    That struggle is one I continue to struggle with and I've lost over 100lbs, 10 pant sizes and 4 shirt sizes. You saw yourself in a light when you were heavy too. You probably didn't even notice how big you had gotten, I know I didn't notice. It's crazy what the mind can show you. Sometimes we just see what we want to see. Keep the struggle alive. You're serving as motivation for others.

You make a great point about the mind! I was huge but saw myself as a man probably 230 at over 300lbs. My mind is slowly adjusting because the compliments are coming from all different directions. thank you all who commented on this thread. When I was at my worst, I didnt take many photos and that should have been an indication to change. Pretty much all of the clothes I own I dont want to wear anymore because they are too big! I am getting used to wearing smaller sizes that fit how they are supposed to. Im slowly adjusting. I will post a newer photo today or tomorrow of me in my size Large shirt. Thank you guys for the support.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I still see myself as big as I used to be. I have a difficult time shopping for clothes in the correct size. I find myself still picking out something that was in my old size and clothing to cover up my body. I used to wear all stretch fabrics and pants with elastic waistbands and tent-like shirts to try to look smaller than I was at 320+ lbs. I can wear different clothes, but I have a hard time with that realization when I get to the clothing racks. I start at the largest sizes first and even try on some, then wonder why they don't really fit very well.
  • becky4m
    becky4m Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do not have a way to help because I am the same way. I am almost at the 100 pound mark, went from a size 18 to a 4 and I still see the big me. I just wanted to say you are not alone.
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I find that I get picky on things I still have to work on with my body. Pictures have really helped me, and they will keep me from ever gaining that kind of weight again.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    i feel the same way as you all do too :0 theres alot of ppl feeling this way :0 then i thought:noway:
  • Domineer
    Options
    Photo_Grid_1399935993184.jpg

My before and after. Took the before pic in July 2013 and the after pic yesterday. Viewing more of these will help me for sure.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    What is a good way to get over this and feel comfortable in your new body?

Stop comparing yourself to that ideal image in your mind and accept that you are definitely better than you were. You look great man. Props.
  • Domineer
    Options
    What is a good way to get over this and feel comfortable in your new body?

Stop comparing yourself to that ideal image in your mind and accept that you are definitely better than you were. You look great man. Props.

Appreciate it. Comparing yourself to others will def mess with your head. I am slowly becoming comfortable with being me.
  • Geoj0
    Geoj0 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    i can see the difference in others, you have done great keep going!

i cant see the difference in myself , i found before and after pics and taking regular progress pics and measurements helped me get it into my head that it is working.

my before and after pics are on my profile.