Lifting Days????

Options
Does anyone else find that they go over on there protein? On my lifting days I seem to eat about 50-100 grams over my daily alloted amount but I still remain under my calories. Does anyone else have this problem? If so are you sill losing weight or should I try to lower it?

I feel that the weight lifting section should add protein to your diet like the cardio adds calories

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I go over my goal for protein all the time......

If you do, you are ok......
    Carbs can be lowered accordingly
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm having a problem getting over my protein goal... wondering if i should take more protein powder... what is the amount of protein do you take... according to bodybuilding.com i should take 114.00.. but i'm not sure that is enough for growth...

1.5g protein/kg body weight... today i got 122grams...
  • kliermann
    kliermann Posts: 514
    Options
    Ok about how much should I lower the carbs for next time? Like for right now for today I am over 83g but I still have 29 Carbs remaining...?
  • kliermann
    Options
    wow today I am at 175 G of protein because I mostly eat chicken breast and Tuna, but also 1 scoop of protein directly after my workout.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Ok about how much should I lower the carbs for next time? Like for right now for today I am over 83g but I still have 29 Carbs remaining...?

Just stay at or below your caloric goals.
    So if you do that, and you are over on protein, then your carbs will automatically come up short.

Carbs are "non-essential"
    So you can raise or lower them to meet caloric goals.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    also of note
    1gr of protein == 4 cal
    1gr of carbs == 4 cal
    1gr of fat == 9 cal
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I'm having a problem getting over my protein goal... wondering if i should take more protein powder... what is the amount of protein do you take... according to bodybuilding.com i should take 114.00.. but i'm not sure that is enough for growth...

1.5g protein/kg body weight... today i got 122grams...

Protein sources I go to
    chicken breast
    cottage cheese
    greek yogurt
    milk
    fish
    steak
    protein powder
  • kliermann
    Options
    thanks for the help now about sodium I have yet since I got on this site years back had a single day that I wasnt at least 1000mg of sodium over is that normal or am i jackin something up? will it affect my weight loss or just my apperance?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    My protein intake for today is 157 g. My goal, at 1 g/lb of body weight, is 135 g. I don't see a problem with going over in protein unless your intake is some ridiculous number like 300 g. If it fits your other macros and your calorie limit, what's the issue? And I don't lower my carbs to "make up for it."
  • MityMax96
    Options
    thanks for the help now about sodium I have yet since I got on this site years back had a single day that I wasnt at least 1000mg of sodium over is that normal or am i jackin something up? will it affect my weight loss or just my apperance?

I have days where I am over....
    Drink a lot of water. :wink:

That much sodium may hold water, so may give you a bloated look......
    That is about all I notice for me...
    So when that happens the next couple days I lower my sodium intake
  • kliermann
    Options
    ok whats this macros diet stuff I keep hereing that???
  • kliermann
    Options
    Yea I am addicted to sunflower seeds, and pickles....so my sodium will always be high unless i loose this gut and plan to go to a water park or somethin haha
  • MityMax96
    Options
    ok whats this macros diet stuff I keep hereing that???

Depends on what your goals are.
    But macros are your fat/protein/carbs, and they make up your total calories.

So if you are trying to lose weight.....and total daily caloric needs (to maintain current weight) is 2500 (for example)
    Then to lose weight, you would probably want to be in the 2000 calorie daily intake range.
    And those 2000 calories should be made up of what you need for fat, protein and carbs
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you check out this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

The moderators are incredibly knowledgeable, and have put together several stickies full of great information on macros, deficits, etc. You should find the answer to several of your questions, and it's just a good place to continue to grow your knowledge base.

Specifically check this out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read