Myself, the Queen of Emotional Eating

Options
:blushing: This is either my 2nd or 3rd time on this site. I believe now is the time I will be successful in making healthy changes to my eating habits. I hope we all will meet our goals.

I am a devout emotional eater, and while I haven't been formally diagnosed with BED (Binge Eating Syndrome) I feel there is no doubt that I have this baggage as well. With 2 teenagers (girls) I have a lot of ups-and-downs in my life....any minor issue seems to bring on the junk food or soda, my main opponent.

Not having previously posted on these boards I'm not sure of the etiquette of reaching out to others. Maybe someone knows?

Anyway, I would love to give/receive support for anyone who is trying to help themselves.

Replies

• LaurieMMcGee
    LaurieMMcGee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater myself. Unfortunately, any emotion makes me want to eat: sad, happy, stressed, upset, bored, etc. It's a constant battle, but we CAN do this. Good luck to you!!!!
  • molina76853
    Options
    I, too struggle with emotional eating. Here lately I find asking myself before I eat if I am eating because I am hungry or out of emotion. If I answer out of emotion I will find something to do to keep my mind busy such as reading, journaling or an exercise video.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    your hormones are out of control, lets fix that!
  • PhoenixJewels
    Options
    All hail the Queen :) But in all seriousness, welcome back to the site. Coming back a third time shows determination...and that you want and can do this.

I understand the emotional eating...I eat when happy, sad, glad, mad, joyful, angry, guilty...to celebrate, to drown sorrows, to express a love of food and a hatred of it too. I'm still struggling with these issues...so maybe we can share stories and tips on how to work towards bottling the emotions and eating healthy :)
  • lilmom1
    lilmom1 Posts: 69
    Options
    I find I am a board eater.....so keeping busy really helps, and I set goals for my health so my family knows I will be around and healthy for a real long time! Good luck to ya know ya can do it!!!!! Happy to be your friend!
  • karonJM
    Options
    Boy, oh boy, honey have you come to the right place!!! or maybe I have.
    I am such an emotional eater. Anything sets me off. And I will eat especially between the hours of 3-6 pm. You know that is the time of kids coming home, dinner, sports, car pooling, homework EVERYTHING! Even with most of my kids grown and gone (I have one teen age daughter at home) I still find that I want to eat at that time. I am still programmed to expect stress at that time. But I love carbs. bread and chips are my downfall. If I am aware, then I can keep my hands busy and look inside and see if I really am hungry or not. Usually 'or not'. But often I am not aware until I have finished eating. RATS!
    Keep working at it, I'm with you all the way:flowerforyou:
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Ok that self imposed title is Wonderful :)

Ok I have teens (girls) and yes they can get to ya for sure. So I take a trick from my mother, who says take that energy and turn it into something positive. Often I clean. I know it's bizzare but it does help. I've been known to scrub the tub, toilet, and floors when they get to me. At least that way I'm worn out and have a clean bathroom and then I can deal with the issue. :)

If I'm hungry after that then I eat. But a good walk always works too. Even better is assigning jobs to the girls but then I didn't do anything, so I give them the real icky ones like picking up dog poop. They really hate to get in trouble around here. LOL.

Lately they've been pretty good knock wood. (I say as hitting myself on the head).
  • sdharvey30
    Options
    I am a first timer on this site, but not new to diets. Emotional eating is something I fight as well. It's a New Year and I want to make changes! Maybe if we all support one another we can accomplish the goals we have set for ourselves :)
  • orting514
    orting514 Posts: 153
    Options
    I to am an emotional eater, bordom is my biggest enemy, i know i should get busy when im bored but that doesnt happen to much. We can do this, dont try to take on to much at once, take baby steps.
  • vilya
    vilya Posts: 5
    Options
    Watch out Queen I might be vying for your spot...lol. I am just kidding. I am just such a compulsive overeater it isn't even funny, which all pretty much springs from emotions. This is my third time on here, too. So let's do this together huh!! I know we all can. We didn't give up. Eventually it will click.

I am not trying to hijack your thread, but I sure could use a weight loss buddy that isn't afraid to kick me in the rear when I need it.

Best of luck to all of you!!