Nutritionist wants 1200 calories/day

Options
2»

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I tend to avoid disagreeing with someone's health care professional. My only question would be in regards to qualifications. Where I am, anyone can call themself a nutritionist. You can get an online degree for it. A Registered DIetician has a degree in their field and is regulated.
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    After years of morbid obesity, I decided to adopt a plant-based diet. I lost about 30 pounds in the first month and started gradually adding exercise and choosing whole grains over refined grains. I lost 185 pounds in about 14 months, over 50% of my body weight. My BMI went from 47.2 to 23.4. Now I have the energy and fitness to participate in endurance sports, such as cycling and running.

I didn't consistently count or worry about calories and I listened to my body about when and how much to eat. Generally, we feel full after eating a proper amount of whole fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes. It is much easier to overeat on calories if you are eating processed junk foods such as cookies, hamburgers, ice cream and the like. Obesity used to be nearly unheard of. Our food supply system is terribly broken.

That is my story. I know that counting calories would not have worked for me as a lifestyle change. Even if it produced short-term results, once I achieved success I would end up back where I started because no true change occurred. Everyone is different. Good luck.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Your doctors /nutritionists are trained professionals so just do what they say to do.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm contemplating weight loss surgery after years and years of failed attempts at losing weight and then keeping it off. I've been going through the program at Kaiser so that my options are open, and the nutritionist wants us on a 1200 calorie diet with a focus on protein. Is 1200 calories too little? I've only been doing it for a few days, and it hasn't been that difficult. But if I can keep up my motivation to lose weight without the surgery I want to make sure that I'm optimizing my hard work. MFP recommends almost 1800 calories a day for weight loss, so I'm thinking of upping it to 1400-1550. I'd appreciate any thoughts/suggestions. :smile:

I didn't read the rest of the board, but I felt like this needed to be mentioned if it wasn't. While many times nutritionists can put people on too few calories because that's what they were taught to do, I don't believe that's the case here. You said you were looking at weight loss surgery. Often times patients will be put on a pre-surgery, low calorie diet to show that they are really ready for the commitment that having your stomach surgically shrunk will take. Because weight loss surgery, ultimately, is only a tool. You have to be prepared to change how you eat if you get it.

So, in this case, if your nutritionist is saying 1200 calories, it's probably to make sure you're prepared for the surgery.
  • Ou812iSeE
    Ou812iSeE Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you booksgiver, it helped.
  • MelaniaMadison
    Options
    My opinion on why so many nutritionists put people on 1200 calories is as follows: Very few people need to be on such low calories to lose weight. No one who is obese needs to be on 1200 calories. Most people suck at counting calories. They forget to count things, they have cheat meals, the don't weigh food, they eat food that is difficult to track (out to eat, food prepared by others). If a nutritionist told you 1800 calories, which is more reasonable you may end up eating 2500+ due to miscounting. You don't lose weight, you blame the nutritionist, you fire them. If they tell you 1200 calories, you end up eating the 1700-1800 they actually want you on, you lose weight, they look like the genius. In the rare case you actually count 100% correctly and eat 1200 calories, you lose lots of weight really fast and then they up your calories the next time you meet with them...

1200 calories is way to low for almost everyone IF and only IF you count correctly.

I totally totally agree. I believe people grossly underestimate their calories when left to their own devices. I watch a few BBC weight loss shows that illustrate how people can underestimate their calories by 100-200%!!! This is one of the reasons I don't like to log my food bc it is virtually impossible for me to know the exact amount unless Im eating everything out of packages or at restaurants that post their info. And to further illustrate this point I have a girlfriend who will swear up and down she eats `1200 calories a day. As shes telling me this, we sit at lunch and shes eating a giant bowl of minestrone soup along with a few pieces of bread. There were at least 3 cups of broth and a million beans in it. I asked her how in the world she survived on 1200 cals/day & she "explained" her lunch that day was only 300 calories. HA! the soup alone was easily 500calories just by virtue of the fact that it was a bucket load. The beans alone were probably 300cals.

As far as 1200 cals go I will say this- I went to one of those wellness/weightloss resorts where your food is portioned. This was 2 years ago and they had me on 1200/day. I was starving. The first day was fine by the 3rd day I was ready to die. 1200 is nothing imo.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    Books giver, your story is a great example of success.

I am in metric so I don't relate to pounds - but such a huge weight loss from a BMI of 61 and limited exercise capability, that is a great achievement! :smile:
  • segwayne
    segwayne Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree with what was said earlier. Done properly, 1200 calories is "easy" (physically, if not mentally) to get by on. I had Gastric Bypass Surgery on April 2nd, 2014 and for the two weeks prior to that, The doctors had me on "three protein shakes a day plus 64 oz water".

All that protein and water, and I was never really physically hungry. Tempted? Yeah, because it was such a break from what I was used to, but 3 protein shakes was about... hmmm... 500 calories a day or so, so yeah, I could have done 1200 standing on my head...

Just so's ya know, after surgery, I am supposed to be doing two shakes a day and "mushy/soft" foods. My average intake so far since surgery is now up around 450 calories a day, and that's with me being absolutely "stuffed" all the time.

Protein shakes -- nasty as they may be after 2 or 3 a day for a couple of months -- do wonders for bringing off the weight and helping keep you mobile..

Wayne
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    The 1200 recommended calories was recommended for the entire class, I haven't visited with a nutritionist personally. I've been doing ok with the 1200 a day (lots of fresh fruit and veggies), but I don't want my body to go into starvation mode even though I'm eating adequately. I'm also just looking for advice, or anyone else's experience with eating so little. I am more than well aware that the internet is not a word to live by. Just want information so that I can make an educated decision with what's provided. :)

Starvation mode while eating 1200 calories?

You have some research to do!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I am completely satisfied on 1200 kcal/day. Not starvation mode by any means. Question: How do people who have reached their target weight post-surgery adjust to a maintenance diet with normal caloric intake?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree with what was said earlier. Done properly, 1200 calories is "easy" (physically, if not mentally) to get by on. I had Gastric Bypass Surgery on April 2nd, 2014 and for the two weeks prior to that, The doctors had me on "three protein shakes a day plus 64 oz water".

All that protein and water, and I was never really physically hungry. Tempted? Yeah, because it was such a break from what I was used to, but 3 protein shakes was about... hmmm... 500 calories a day or so, so yeah, I could have done 1200 standing on my head...

Just so's ya know, after surgery, I am supposed to be doing two shakes a day and "mushy/soft" foods. My average intake so far since surgery is now up around 450 calories a day, and that's with me being absolutely "stuffed" all the time.

Protein shakes -- nasty as they may be after 2 or 3 a day for a couple of months -- do wonders for bringing off the weight and helping keep you mobile..

Wayne

*For some people*
    There is no and should be no blanket calorie intake.

As a 5'5 active female within a healthy weight range, 1200 is. not. possible. for me (I am referring to pre-pregnancy since it is even less doable pregnant). And no, I am not filling up on "junk food". I've done the bodybuilding diet, lean meats or white fish, sweet potato or brown rice, oatmeal, greek yogurt, tons of veggies, not one extra "junk food" and 1200 would be miserable for me.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options

Wayne

I agree that this was suitable for you in your circumstances short term under medical supervision for a specific purpose.

Does not make it suitable for most people in most circumstances.
  • DayByDayGetStronger
    DayByDayGetStronger Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode? That would be less than 800kcal per day. I am a registered dietitian with a gastric band (5 year anniversary is in July and maintained 80lbs loss) and agree with your dietitian. If you're in the weight loss program with Kaiser, they will want to see some effort on your part to believe you are a candidate for weight loss surgery. Stick to the 1200kcals and high protein. You are NOT deficient in calories if you are overweight.

If you do choose to have the surgery you will may have to be on 1000-1200kcal diet in the weeks leading up to surgery. This is to shrink your liver so that the doc has room to get to your stomach and/or intestines to do the surgery (gastric bypass OR the band). post op you will be on 900-1100kcal /day with liquids then soft foods for about a month. This is fine as long as you are maintaining vitamin supplement and adequate protein (80-100g).

You are not deficient in calories...your body will tap in to your reserves of fat as long as you're getting the protein in. Message me for more questions if needed :):drinker:
  • booksgiver
    booksgiver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thank you!