Healthy lunches that need no fridge or microwave

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
Hey All,

I want my hubs to start eating better lunches but sometimes he doesn't have access to a fridge or a microwave. What are some solid healthy lunches, not too crazy on the ingredients, he does like some veggies but think veggies kids like, *sigh* I'm still working on him lol. Doesn't have to be diet food, he isn't trying to lose weight, just something substantial and healthy.

I already looked up other topics like this and a lot of them said Tuna packets, so I already know that one. I just don't want him eating tuna more than like 2 times a week. Plus he would probably get tired of it pretty quickly.

Thanks!!

Replies

• kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Special secret ingredient: Kewpie Deep-Roasted Sesame Dressing. I chase broccoli around the plate now.

1 tablespoon in some broccoli, it keeps just fine until lunch and doesn't need to be warmed.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches. I put a freezer pack in my lunch bag with my sandwich. Nuts, fruit, beef jerky, crackers and cheese, hummus, pita, veggies and dip, crisps, chocolate (snickers bar), hard boiled eggs, salad ( with dried cranberries, grated carrots pumpkin seeds, croutons and dressing, granola bar or protein bar. It depends on what he likes to eat really.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    That's pretty limiting... But you could try low-sodium canned soups (you don't *have* to heat them up), a veggie salad (he could add tuna or canned white chicken?), peanut/almond butter & bananas/celery/carrots, beef jerky, granola... It's not really a structured lunch menu, but he could put a few different things together to fill up on
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Can you pack things an insulated bag with an ice pack?

I do have a refrigerator, but I'd be fine without it. Today, I have cubes of sharp cheddar cheese, some marinated cherry tomatoes, tortilla chips with roasted red pepper hummus, a container of sliced strawberries and a rice krispies treat.
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I bring my lunch to work in a soft lunch cooler I throw in a frozen bottle of water to keep things cool. That way I am not limiting myself and I don't want to put my lunch in the company fridge, I usually bring leftovers from the night before, so its chicken breast salmon and or lots of veggies. I steer clear of the prepackaged foods as they usually have to much sodium, sugar and fat.

Hope that helps,
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    These are great suggestions, Thanks guys, I will go out and pick up a insulated lunch box with some cooler packs, or like one of you suggested, frozen bottle of water Great idea!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    sardines! i just started eating them and im addicted. pretty good calorie count for a tin (~160 cals) and a good amount of healthy fats and protein. mussels in a tin are good to but with a less desirable protein/calorie ratio

sandwiches are my usual go to lunch item, multigrain bread, swiss cheese, sliced turkey breast and a bit of ceaser salad dressing to give it a little more flavour
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    1 ice pack + insulated lunch box should be enough to keep things cool and tasty.

-Hummus & baby carrots
    -banana smeared with peanut butter and topped with strawberries and pecans (yum)
    -black bean veggie burger thawed and topping a salad (dressing separate to prevent mush)
    -all soups ever! heat to scalding in the morning and transport in an insulated soup thermos. OR buy a crock warmer: http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCCPLC200-BL-20-Ounce-Lunch-Warmer/dp/B006H5V8RG/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1399902491&sr=1-4&keywords=soup+warmer
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Soups/stews in a flask. Curry in a flask. Salads, tuna or chicken. Sandwiches will even last. Nothing wrong with a chicken and spinach sandwich on granary bread.
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Chili? If you've got a lunch box with a freezer pack, it'll stay good and it doesn't need to be eaten hot. You can make chili in varying degrees of "healthy" too depending on what he likes (good place to sneak in some veggies!). Otherwise, sandwiches are probably easiest. Pasta Salad. Hard boiled eggs.
  • nesbit11
    nesbit11 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Cous cous, add some herbs or spice and have with tinned fish like mackrel? X
  • tgrey4
    tgrey4 Posts: 56
    Options
    There are SO many options for this. Think about it: what do students bring for lunch to school? Brown bag lunches with simple, economical, and healthy things. When I was in high school and even now during college where I use a bento box to bring my lunch -- unrefrigerated -- I take hummus, black beans, cut cucumbers and carrots and other vegetables, with flaked tuna or salmon or diced chicken. For fats or carbs, you might add pita and avocado, and some nuts. Rice, too, (or if you eat bread, I suppose) can last several hours. It's easier than you think!
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    There are SO many options for this. Think about it: what do students bring for lunch to school? Brown bag lunches with simple, economical, and healthy things. When I was in high school and even now during college where I use a bento box to bring my lunch -- unrefrigerated -- I take hummus, black beans, cut cucumbers and carrots and other vegetables, with flaked tuna or salmon or diced chicken. For fats or carbs, you might add pita and avocado, and some nuts. Rice, too, (or if you eat bread, I suppose) can last several hours. It's easier than you think!

Thanks I see what you are saying, but my hubs food will probably be in a hot car most of the time so he def can't just brown bag it. Most stuff isn't very pleasant after 1/2 day in a hot car. The iced coolers and thermos ideas I think will do the trick :)
  • tgrey4
    tgrey4 Posts: 56
    Options

Thanks I see what you are saying, but my hubs food will probably be in a hot car most of the time so he def can't just brown bag it. Most stuff isn't very pleasant after 1/2 day in a hot car. The iced coolers and thermos ideas I think will do the trick :)

Oh! You mentioned tuna packets in your original post, so I had no idea. Definitely go the cooler route, then. Though, most of the things I recommended would be just fine either way! :smile:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options

I remember the days when we all took our lunches to school and no one had any special insulated ice pack, nobody I knew got sick...
    Hardboiled eggs (leave the shell on until ready to eat) are a good choice - I take 'em in my purse for a protein snack. Cold pasta salad with veggies cut small, snuck in and a vinaigrette dressing (Greek works well with cherry tomatoes, little chunks of cucumber and black olives with feta in it).

Sorry - you were posting about the hot car while I was posting... then definitely use the frozen water bottle or juicebox trick.
    If you want something hot - get a wide mouth thermos bottle for soup, stew, or chili. They aren't expensive.
  • rosiegoes
    rosiegoes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    :) so curious about how you eat the sardines...

i do keep them on hand for my hubby & know they are super healthy....but how do you integrate them into a lunch?

what brand do you use?

check out "kippers" too in the irish/english food section...i think the same thing but from *across the pond*

thank you!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options

i do keep them on hand for my hubby & know they are super healthy....but how do you integrate them into a lunch?

what brand do you use?

check out "kippers" too in the irish/english food section...i think the same thing but from *across the pond*

thank you!
    not entirely sure on the brand. brunswick i think?
    i just eat them with a single piece of bread, crackers, or by themselves, sometimes with a slice of cheese but more often not. i am a huge seafood fan though so by themselves may not be for everyone.
    ive had kippers, they are great too!
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I love my Thermos :heart: I use it for hot stuff like soups, stews or even pasta (just make sure you preheat with boiling water for at least 15 mins and make things quite saucy to keep the heat :wink: ) but I also like it for my salads, keeps them nice and fresh which is great and especially good when I add seafood.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

what brand do you use?

thank you!
    not entirely sure on the brand. brunswick i think?
    i just eat them with a single piece of bread, crackers, or by themselves, sometimes with a slice of cheese but more often not. i am a huge seafood fan though so by themselves may not be for everyone.
    ive had kippers, they are great too!

I can't stomach sardines on their own, but I have mixed them into a tuna sandwich before and it wasn't too bad. Not something I would eat on a regular basis, but for some reason I had a tin of sardines in the pantry and figured I might as well use them.