Lifting for Women

Options
hig17
hig17 Posts: 159 Member
I have searched through a lot of the posts on here, but I still have more questions so don't yell at me! I am also currently reading "New Rules of Lifting for Women" (just started though not done yet)

Do you ladies that "Lift" do this at home or the gym? And if at home did you purchase equipment or what do you use? I ask this because I don't have a gym membership. However, my fiance has one of those "bow flex" type things at our house. It is an older one (not the brand bow flex either) but it has the leg weight part, the chest, a pull down bar etc. all that the weight can be adjusted (not even sure up to what amount) There are no free standing weights associated with it either. So in looking at Strong lifts 5X5, I see that you need a like a free standing weight bar (those I usually associate with the gym) to do squats, dead lifts, bench press etc.

Sorry if I sound stupid (I have no idea of all the technical terms for weights/weight lifting etc.) I am just new at this and would like to learn more and possibly start a program, but need to know if it is possible to do at home or absolutely necessary that I join a gym.

Any information you have would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks MFPers!

Replies

• beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I think a good place to start, particularly if you don't want to join a gym would be to start with exercises doing "just" bodyweight. They can be quite challenging. I did just bodyweight exercises at home for more than a month before trying weighted lifting at a gym about two weeks ago - and trust me, with the right moves, it was tough! If you really don't want to join a gym, you might look into dumbbells? I don't know about Stronglifts, but many similar programs describe variations using dumbells. As far as the bowflex goes, I don't really know, but based on stuff I've read, using that will build strength, but it works differently than lifting. What I hear is that using machines tends to work muscles in isolation while lifting works systems of muscles together.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts, starting strength, new rules of lifting are all designed for compound lifts (squats, dead lifts, bench, OHP) with a barbell.

You do not have a barbell. or squat rack.

So you can either do your best to use your universal- or honestly I would find a program that is more tailored to a universal lifter.

it's not stupid- you just don't know. no harm in that.
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think a good place to start, particularly if you don't want to join a gym would be to start with exercises doing "just" bodyweight. They can be quite challenging. I did just bodyweight exercises at home for more than a month before trying weighted lifting at a gym about two weeks ago - and trust me, with the right moves, it was tough! If you really don't want to join a gym, you might look into dumbbells? I don't know about Stronglifts, but many similar programs describe variations using dumbells. As far as the bowflex goes, I don't really know, but based on stuff I've read, using that will build strength, but it works differently than lifting. What I hear is that using machines tends to work muscles in isolation while lifting works systems of muscles together.

Here's a website for bodyweight exercises that you may be able to start with.

http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    A lot of the commonly recommended programs here (stronglifts, starting strength, etc.) are barbell oriented and can be modified using dumbbells. However, I'm not sure how you'd modify it to use the bowflex. It might be good to find a bowflex oriented program if you can't afford to buy a set of dumbbells or a barbell set for home instead. I'm sure there are some good beginner programs that will get you started out there.

Also, not stupid at all. We all start somewhere. :)
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I agree with the body weight exercises as a great option... If you get a membership to a gym it can be intimidating at first, but men and women lift the same way! Lol maybe bring a friend with the first time to show you the ropes!
  • hig17
    Options

I do a couple Jillian Michaels DVDs that use strength training using your own body weight (30 day shred, Yoga Meltdown). Does that count?
  • hig17
    Options

Thanks for the info :)

So I am assuming most people lift at a gym then? I really want to join one, and have looked into it in the past and even had memberships in the past in which I didn't use. I have been far more successful this year with exercising doing things at home. Walking, videos, c25k app, etc. which is why I am hesitant to get a new membership. The results from lifting are amazing though and I would love to try it! I want to be strong :)
  • beabria
    beabria Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand. I like working out at home or going for a jog in my neighborhood - it completely eliminates the need to drum up enough motivation to push myself away from home. If I had space and money, I would invest in some lifting equipment for home, but I don't, so I'm going to a gym. As for your questions whether things in workout videos "count" for pre-lifting bodyweight exercises, I'd say both yes and no. These programs are definitely tough and build muscle, so in that sense, they definitely count. But, the focus is different than it is for lifting. I did 30dayshred before (so tough!), and yes, you're doing pushups, but I felt that there was more focus on keeping your heartrate up and time than there was or form or progressing to heavier or more difficult variations. But, if these programs are working for you, then stick with that. Just because it's different than lifting doesn't mean it's not a great fit for you!
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options

So I am assuming most people lift at a gym then? I really want to join one, and have looked into it in the past and even had memberships in the past in which I didn't use. I have been far more successful this year with exercising doing things at home. Walking, videos, c25k app, etc. which is why I am hesitant to get a new membership. The results from lifting are amazing though and I would love to try it! I want to be strong :)

I know a lot of people that lift with barbells at home and plenty that go to the gym. It really depends if you are willing to buy the equipment for your home and if you have the room. I would love to get a set up at home but there is no room in the place we are renting. Once we buy a house, I will be buying my own power cage, bench and barbells so I can lift at home. However, until then I'm stuck going to the gym.

Most gyms offer free trails for a week. You could look into a program, watch form videos, get all the information you need to feel comfortable then try lifting at the gym. If it feels like something you will stick with and you like it, then go for a membership. A lot of gyms have month-to-month memberships so you aren't stuck with a long membership if you decide to not use it.
  • hig17
    Options

Thank you for the info, I think that is what I am going to do. Right now a Anytime Fitness location is running a special near my house and I am considering that. It would equal out to $12 a month and that is very affordable. :)
    I know a lot of people that lift with barbells at home and plenty that go to the gym. It really depends if you are willing to buy the equipment for your home and if you have the room. I would love to get a set up at home but there is no room in the place we are renting. Once we buy a house, I will be buying my own power cage, bench and barbells so I can lift at home. However, until then I'm stuck going to the gym.

Most gyms offer free trails for a week. You could look into a program, watch form videos, get all the information you need to feel comfortable then try lifting at the gym. If it feels like something you will stick with and you like it, then go for a membership. A lot of gyms have month-to-month memberships so you aren't stuck with a long membership if you decide to not use it.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I've done the whole JM thing and think they are a great first step or something to do a couple of days per week. However, I don't feel like you're going to see nearly as significant of changes in body composition as you will if you pick up some heavier weights. It's not the same experience at all. Both are good, but they are different.

I prefer to lift in a gym. I like having all the equipment. It's like a big playground for me and where I get to forget about chores and to-do lists. However, if you like to work out at home, ultimately do the work out that you will continue to do! :smile: If you don't want to go to a gym, you probably won't go.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    You can see great results from JM, BUT not the same you will see from dedicated lifting. Many of her strength moves seem to force you to go to failure and I know I didn't build much muscle when I did it - i could never use heavier weights and got frustrated. Can you add to your fitness equipment with even a few sets of dumb bells? You could do a lot of lifting with dumb bells and body weights.

I do go to a gym and I love the gym. But the only things I use the barbell for are dead lifts and squats. I use dumb bells for everything else (partly bc I don' thave a spotter and don't feel comfortable with some of the other lifts without one). Instead of squats you could do lunges with dumb bells, etc. Not exactly the same but you can still get a rockin' body with out a barbell!