Lightheadness after lying down

Options
As in the title, ive read this is down to low blood pressure. If its down to how much food Im eating, would it reduce the problem and ate more but exercised more, or would the general calorie problem be the net figure? or just the intake? I understand I need to address this problem but if I just up the food and exercise and the net is the same it doesnt solve it. Cheers

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    ive heard it can have something to do with being dehydrated as well, but yes it could certainly be an issue with not eating enough, the net figure would be what you want to consider
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    My guess was blood pressure when I read the title... You should definitely see a doc. In the mean time, monitor and record your BP so you'll be able to provide a log of that and your weight, food, and exercise if you're also logging those things here.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Please provide your stats:

Height:
    Daily Calories Intake:
    Weekly Exercise Activities:
    Weekly Weight Loss Goal:
    Health Issues If Applicable:
  • jmsspr93
    jmsspr93 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Weight: 206.25
    Height: 5'11
    Daily Calories Intake: 750-1200
    Weekly Exercise Activities: Exercise Bike
    Weekly Weight Loss Goal: 2-3lbs
    Health Issues If Applicable: N/A
  • sfbaumgarten
    Options
    ive heard it can have something to do with being dehydrated as well, but yes it could certainly be an issue with not eating enough, the net figure would be what you want to consider

Yeah, I always forget about dehydration. That and BP sort of go hand in hand for me... I take a diuretic to control my high BP. Low BP and dehydration also feel the same to me when either occurs. Can't see OP's diary.
  • BigT555
    Options

too little food for sure. im 6'1 205 21 years old and mines set to 1800, which is still borderline low. aim for 1 lb/week, not 2-3
  • jmsspr93
    Options

too little food for sure. im 6'1 205 21 years old and mines set to 1800, which is still borderline low. aim for 1 lb/week, not 2-3

My concern is if I up my limit to 1200 net per day I will put all the weight back on, however my lb loss is consistant with the calories im saving.
  • sfbaumgarten
    Options

You're not eating anywhere near enough for a 20yo male...
  • BigT555
    Options

My concern is if I up my limit to 1200 net per day I will put all the weight back on, however my lb loss is consistant with the calories im saving.
    i understand the concern but if your truly eating 1200 cals a day you will definitely still lose, i recommend going to 1800 bro your risking serious damage if you continue eating that little for too long
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Eat more food!

Because eating under 1200 you will lose weight, you'll also lose lean muscle, and calcium from your bones as well.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

i understand the concern but if your truly eating 1200 cals a day you will definitely still lose, i recommend going to 1800 bro your risking serious damage if you continue eating that little for too long

Quoted for emphasis
    See bolded part.

You are lightheaded because your body needs more food, more nutrients. I seriously doubt you are getting all your macros (fat/protein/carbs) that you need. You are young and should be eating a lot more.

Read these:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    In for ideas.

I have low blood pressure at a normal weight. When I was bigger it went away. I used to smoke - I'd joke that it was the only thing keeping my blood pressure elevated to the point of not feeling dizzy when I stand up too fast or other random times.

I NET around 1440 - eat anywhere between 2k - 2500 (or more sometimes). Eating more does not help me. My macros are pretty good so I don't immediately think there is a correlation - though to be honest I don't watch that closely.

The only thing that I have found to stop the dizziness was being FAT and smoking. Two things that I refuse to go back to doing just for the sake of not feeling dizzy occasionally. I just deal with it.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    In for ideas.

I have low blood pressure at a normal weight. When I was bigger it went away. I used to smoke - I'd joke that it was the only thing keeping my blood pressure elevated to the point of not feeling dizzy when I stand up too fast or other random times.

I NET around 1440 - eat anywhere between 2k - 2500 (or more sometimes). Eating more does not help me. My macros are pretty good so I don't immediately think there is a correlation - though to be honest I don't watch that closely.

The only thing that I have found to stop the dizziness was being FAT and smoking. Two things that I refuse to go back to doing just for the sake of not feeling dizzy occasionally. I just deal with it.

Your case is different than the OP's. Have you seen a doctor for this? How much water are you drinking?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I agree that you are not eating enough. In addition, if your ticker is correct then you only have 10 lbs. left to lose. You trying to lose 2-3lbs. a week is too extreme for 10 lbs. One of the worst things you could do is rush weight loss. Your body won’t like it and at some point it may decide to push back. A reasonable weight loss rate for 10 lbs. is 0.5 per week. Cutting calories is only one part of losing weight. You have to give your body enough calories so it could do its job and burn the pounds away. Therefore, a decent balance is needed.
  • jmsspr93
    Options
    I agree that you are not eating enough. In addition, if your ticker is correct then you only have 10 lbs. left to lose. You trying to lose 2-3lbs. a week is too extreme for 10 lbs. One of the worst things you could do is rush weight loss. Your body won’t like it and at some point it may decide to push back. A reasonable weight loss rate for 10 lbs. is 0.5 per week. Cutting calories is only one part of losing weight. You have to give your body enough calories so it could do its job and burn the pounds away. Therefore, a decent balance is needed.
    It is a checkpoint not a goal. I said 5 Stone by the world cup and I am not far off it. I said to myself once I hit 5 stone I would up my calories to a higher level, however I want to do this slowly as Im sure I will put weight on if I just suddenly change it by say and extra 1000 per day (even though it would still be under my technical maintenance allowance.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Your case is different than the OP's. Have you seen a doctor for this? How much water are you drinking?

Oh well, darn lol. My diary is open, I drink lots of water.

Sorry OP, your diary was locked and I didn't see any replies until I went back to check. You are definitely not eating enough.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Wow. I would get dizzy and lightheaded if I was only eating 750-1200 calories, and I'm a female, much older, and very small (5' and 1/2" and ~128lbs normally). I'm not surprised that you're having issues eating this little, especially if you're exercising on top of it.

You're not that much over your ideal weight, so it's not a good idea to aim for 2lbs per week loss. I'd say 1/2 to 1 pound. You really can eat a lot more than that.

(BTW, I tend to have blood pressure on the lower end a lot of the time - average around 105/60 or so - and I do get a bit lightheaded when standing, but not enough that my doctor is concerned. Make sure you're eating enough and not getting dehydrated, and check with your physician, though)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    In for ideas.

Do you limit your sodium intake? It is possible that increased salt intake will increase your blood volume, hence increasing your blood pressure. Salt has been pretty scare-mongered in this day and age with very little science to back it up. The setting on MFP should be regarded as a MINIMUM.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Assuming that you are tracking accurately (weighing your food, using measuring cups, etc.) you are not eating enough. One thing that also happens when one doesn't eat enough, is they become dehydrated due to lack of essential minerals and over intake of some kind of purified water.

Eat more. Increase your salt and mineral consumption.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Oh well, darn lol. My diary is open, I drink lots of water.

Sorry OP, your diary was locked and I didn't see any replies until I went back to check. You are definitely not eating enough.

How tall are you? have you seen a doctor about this?

I am 5'5" I net around 1940 a day. I lift heavy and kickbox. I also have low blood pressure and usually if I feel dizzy I eat a snack and it goes away. I haven't had that in years though.