Pleas stop looking at the scale!

Options
If you are weight/strength training then the scale is very sneaky, muscle weight ALOT more than fat. I have droped pants sizes while the number on the scale has never budged! Sucess is determined by inches not by weight =-).

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    ok
  • gymkoala
    gymkoala Posts: 76
    Options
    yup i just weighted myself and i was just thinking that ^^
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    muscle weight ALOT more than fat.
    Popcorn anyone?
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Density not weight, or mass.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    If muscle isn't heavier than fat, then gold isn't heavier than feathers, because a pound of each of those weighs the same, too.
  • asciiqwerty
    Options
    If muscle isn't heavier than fat, then gold isn't heavier than feathers, because a pound of each of those weighs the same, too.

Gold isn't heavier than feathers, just higher density.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Which weighs more? A pound of feathers or a pound of lead?

They're the same - they both weigh a pound.

It's MASS. The pound of feathers takes up more space than the pound of lead. Same thing with fat/muscle. The pound of fat v/s the pound of muscle is like a grapefruit to a lemon. Both weigh the same, but the lemon is much smaller.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    *snort*

Still baffles me why someone would automatically start with a pound of this or that when the goal is comparing weight. A cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat. It's pure silliness to take a pound of anything and a pound of anything else and compare them and say "OMG they weigh the same thing u gaiz!!"
  • asciiqwerty
    Options
    *snort*

Still baffles me why someone would automatically start with a pound of this or that when the goal is comparing weight. A cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch of fat. It's pure silliness to take a pound of anything and a pound of anything else and compare them and say "OMG they weigh the same thing u gaiz!!"

You have just defined density, not weight.
  • shimmerNsparkle
    Options
    Ok let me correct that, Muschle takes up less room, better?
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    What does "ALOT" stand for?
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Ok let me correct that, Muschle takes up less room, better?

Exactly! I agree that so many people worry about the scale not moving...but they are a size smaller. I'll take smaller clothes any day!
  • ccsick
    ccsick Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    muscle doesn't weight more than fat, 16 oz of muscle and 16 oz of fat are still one pound. I think what people WANT to say is, one pound of fat takes up a lot more space than one pound of muscle, as muscle is more dense. I have a photo I can share of that, not sure how to add a photo.
  • picklesonice
    Options

ALOT2.png
  • negator5543
    negator5543 Posts: 36
    Options
    muscle doesn't weight more than fat, 16 oz of muscle and 16 oz of fat are still one pound. I think what people WANT to say is, one pound of fat takes up a lot more space than one pound of muscle, as muscle is more dense. I have a photo I can share of that, not sure how to add a photo.

To me this is like saying, I don't weigh more than you do, one pound of me weighs the same as one pound of you.

Since weight is the measure of the force of gravity on an object, it's makes sense to agree upon a uniform size(volume) by which to compare weight.

Otherwise everything on the planet weighs the same because you can scrounge up a pound of anything.
  • Edmond_Dantes
    Edmond_Dantes Posts: 185 Member
    Options

ALOT2.png

Hilarious! "The Alot is an imaginary creature that I made up to help me deal with my compulsive need to correct other people's grammar. It kind of looks like a cross between a bear, a yak and a pug, and it has provided hours of entertainment for me in a situation where I'd normally be left feeling angry and disillusioned with the world."
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    I will never understand why so many people on MFP forums don't understand that words can have multiple meanings. Saying something "weighs more" can mean:

1. There is a larger mass on which gravity pulls, therefore it has a higher weight.
    2. A given quantity (usually by volume) is heavier, also known as density.

Context makes it clear which you're talking about. Of course 1 KG of muscle weighs the same as 1 KG of fat. But someone saying muscle weighs more than fat is OBVIOUSLY saying that it is denser. That is how the language works guys... get over it.
  • janinehema90
    janinehema90 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The OP had good intentions, and her results are great! It's just that she didn't know how to express it properly/made a mistake. Correcting her multiple times and jumping on the situation doesn't help.
  • ccsick
    ccsick Posts: 91 Member
    Options
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!