You All Should Adjust Your Nutrition Percentages!

Options
MFP has us set to monitor our intake eating 50% carbs, 20% protein, and 30% fat.

30% fat?!?! And eating LESS protein than fat?! That is not right for weight-loss. Protein is the building-block of lean body mass and ultimate fat loss. I think all weight loss diets should be high-protein and low-fat. It has definitely worked for me!

Go to your "Home" tab and under "Goals" you can adjust the percentages. I would recommend 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat. Make sure to keep drinking a lot of water, as this is your recipe for success!

Also if you are feeling like you're at a plateau but you keep eating right, this would be the right thing to change to! Give your body the chance to build up some sexy lean body muscle! Check out my pictures if you want any inspiration - my profile pic was me yesterday and I am proud of my cut sexy legs and (finally!) skinny arms. I am not "super-built" in any way so don't worry about getting bulky, ladies. I eat lots and lots of protein and I do strength training daily. Any questions, please message me! I hope I can help you achieve your weight loss/toning goals :)

Replies

• TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with this....I have mine set up 60% Protein (which I can never seem to meet) 20% Carbs (which I always go over grrr!) and 20% Fat (go over every once and a while)

The 60/20/20 ratio follows the diabetic diet which most docs say everyone should be on!
  • HappyTemple
    Options
    Thank you for this!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm always eating about twice as much protein as MFP says I should get.
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    That's exactly how I have it set up! Protein is so important for building lean muscle, especially with a strength training routine! And I still get 40 grams of fat with 1200 calories. I almost never go over that! I've had a lot of success with building muscle with about 100 grams of protein a day.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with this....I have mine set up 60% Protein (which I can never seem to meet) 20% Carbs (which I always go over grrr!) and 20% Fat (go over every once and a while)

The 60/20/20 ratio follows the diabetic diet which most docs say everyone should be on!
    [/quote¸

Everything that I have seen plus my doctor`s advice suggest that diabetics should not do 20% carbs. it should be at least 45% carbs, 35% protein and 20% fat.

I agree the fat is too high, but fat should be good fats like olive oil, avocado, nuts, etc. Not chocolate, chips and candy
  • lisshelb
    Options
    I just changed mine and wow that really changes things. Thanks!!!! Now I can really see what I need to work on!
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    Mediterranean Diet is the healthiest lifestyle in the world.
    http://www.mediterraneandiet.gr/cretan.html

I consume 25-35% healthy fat & low protein. I used to be lowfat/processed food but decided i wanted to live longer.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    A few books I read recently said that 30% carbs, 40% protein and 30% fat to be a good place to start and work on it from there.
    One to check out is: Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle by a lifelong bodybuilder Tom Venuto. He also says that total vegan/vegetarian isn't reccomended for optimum health.
  • jdwoods
    jdwoods Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for pointing this out! I have leveled off over the last couple of weeks (plus holidays) so I will try this adjustment out and see if it works or tweak from there. Its great MFP has the flexibility to support these individual targeted choices
  • sherrik10
    sherrik10 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Being pre-diabetic is this good to follow? 60-20-20.
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    thanks i just changed mine too :-)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    While I believe this post as well-intentioned, it's very general and not everyone needs to change their percentages. I eat 30% fat and it works just fine for me. (healthy fats.)

erickirb posted the following response on another thread ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/146510-s00-confused ), and I think it's the best advice I've seen on the issue of macro percentages:

Total calories is what matters more than anything. Essentially a Balance diet consists of 20%-30% fats, 15-30% Protein and 45-60% carbs. Anywhere within those ranges is considered "balanced" and you can do trial and error to see what works best for your body.

Personally I know I do best when I eat on the high range for protein/fat and lower range for carbs, and my carbs have to be healthy carbs - not the processed junk. But that's just me...
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Great advice! Thanks!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    While I believe this post as well-intentioned, it's very general and not everyone needs to change their percentages. I eat 30% fat and it works just fine for me. (healthy fats.)

erickirb posted the following response on another thread ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/146510-s00-confused ), and I think it's the best advice I've seen on the issue of macro percentages:

Total calories is what matters more than anything. Essentially a Balance diet consists of 20%-30% fats, 15-30% Protein and 45-60% carbs. Anywhere within those ranges is considered "balanced" and you can do trial and error to see what works best for your body.

Personally I know I do best when I eat on the high range for protein/fat and lower range for carbs, and my carbs have to be healthy carbs - not the processed junk. But that's just me...
    While I believe this post as well-intentioned, it's very general and not everyone needs to change their percentages.
    I very much agree! I don't believe this is a formula for everyone to quickly run switch over too, everyone is individual and men and women might want to have their %'s set differently as well. I'm not sure a blanket statement for everyone on the site is the best thing. I agree I think it was likely best intentioned but if others don't know better everyone will run change what they have for what was suggested by the OP when it might not be what is best for their body.

I do agree with the statement that the Protein % is set rather low and that it would be best to have it set higher than ones fat %.
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Well check out my food diary...I do not eat processed fats...I eat healthy ones (nuts, avocados, extra virgin olive oil, etc.)

For the post about 60% protein, that is much too high to stick with for more than a month or so. It's stressful on your kidneys and can cause complications...It is important for people on high protein diets to exercise, because it can help the kidneys flush wastes out of your system more effectively. Make sure you talk to your doctor before beginning a high protein diet, if you have ever experienced kidney problems.

I eat about 100g of protein a day (with the 30% protein ratio set) and it suits me well. I have literally transformed my body shape and I love it! I hope you guys have success with this new change.
  • thisis4me
    thisis4me Posts: 219 Member
    Options
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

60% for protein is pretty high from what I've been taught(simply sharing my experience only), I'm a T2 (gestational) and no way has anyone recommended close to that for me. But as always various docs, dietitians, nutritionists vary across the Country in what they feel a person needs. I agree with the OP sharing Kidney issues can be caused by too much protein for anyone but particularly diabetics since the kidneys are already something to keep a watch over since we're at higher risk.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    MFP has us set to monitor our intake eating 50% carbs, 20% protein, and 30% fat.

30% fat?!?! And eating LESS protein than fat?! That is not right for weight-loss. Protein is the building-block of lean body mass and ultimate fat loss. I think all weight loss diets should be high-protein and low-fat. It has definitely worked for me!

Go to your "Home" tab and under "Goals" you can adjust the percentages. I would recommend 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat. Make sure to keep drinking a lot of water, as this is your recipe for success!

Also if you are feeling like you're at a plateau but you keep eating right, this would be the right thing to change to! Give your body the chance to build up some sexy lean body muscle! Check out my pictures if you want any inspiration - my profile pic was me yesterday and I am proud of my cut sexy legs and (finally!) skinny arms. I am not "super-built" in any way so don't worry about getting bulky, ladies. I eat lots and lots of protein and I do strength training daily. Any questions, please message me! I hope I can help you achieve your weight loss/toning goals :)
    I'm glad you shared, thank you:flowerforyou:
  • mjheinrich
    mjheinrich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Good reminder, particularly for new people on this site since Jan 1. Many probably don't know the feature to customize is even there. I currently and using a 50/25/25 ratio of carbs/protein/fat which seems to work fairly well for me since a higher ratio of fat keeps me from getting too hungry (protein helps that also)...
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options

Well said!