When to start toning/weight training?

Ok this may be a completely dumb question to some but I honestly have no clue! Should I just focus on getting a majority of my weight off then working on toning and strength training or should I start now! My exercise mainly consist of walking right now because I have two under two and it's hard to squeeze anything else in but if I should I will find a way! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Start now! do it from the very beginning of your journey. Lift weights and cardio for best results.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Weight training, especially heavy weight training increases your capacity for cardio (and everything else pretty much). So the best time to start was yesterday.
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Start weight training immediately. The muscle helps rev your metabolism, which then increases what you will burn in a normal day. You will feel better, look better, and burn calories more efficiently if you lift (and don't be afraid to lift heavy weights! You will not bulk up like a man).
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Now.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    it cant be said enough, now!
    its the best thing to keep you motivated and to track progress on top of helping one look better overall IMO
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Start now - preserve the muscle you have. You'll be glad you did later.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Start now. Not to "tone" (the term, as most people use it, simply means losing enough fat to reveal some muscle definition) and not to build muscle, but to hold onto the muscle you already have as you lose weight. No point in losing a decent chunk of muscle as you lose weight only to try to gain it again once you've reached your goal weight. It's also good for bone density which is something that can be affected by weight loss too.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    NOW!
  • nolanerinbryon
    nolanerinbryon Posts: 80 Member
    Just like everyone says - start now! Just keep in mind, muscle takes up less space than fat and once you start weight training, the scale may play tricks on you. What I mean is that you should take measurements and make a mental note of how your clothes fit because once you start weight training, you may not lose any (or lose slower) weight because you're building muscle... but you'll lose inches and your clothes will feel more loose. A person can be 10-15 lbs heavier but still look leaner/thinner than the next person who is lighter. I hope this makes sense. Good luck!!
  • calahcarlock
    calahcarlock Posts: 15 Member
    Yes it does! Thanks everyone!
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    You got your answer.

And, I will say this: By preserving your muscle, you'll feel better and improve your metabolism. The two things I'm doing right now to work on my muscles is strength train and get plenty of protein to help those muscles. I don't even know a lot about this stuff, but just working on those two things seem to make a big difference.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    yesterday.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Lemmmeeee see....now. Sorry, couldn't be helped! It really helps a ton!
  • nic632
    nic632 Posts: 295 Member
    I can't get to a gym, but do have some dumbells, gym ball, resistance band and kettle ball. Are there some exercises that I could do at home that would maybe have the same effect as going to a gym?

Thanks
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    You can do a home gym off craigslist on the cheap. I'd find a weight lifting program such as Starting strength, 5x5 or whatever to start!
  • running_tall
    running_tall Posts: 213 Member
    Bump!
  • nic632
    nic632 Posts: 295 Member
    Thanks, I'll have a look into that.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Start now - preserve the muscle you have. You'll be glad you did later.

This!^
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    When you started this whole thing.
  • janinehema90
    janinehema90 Posts: 21 Member
    As a lot of other have said, start NOW! I was horrified when I lost all the weight last time through cardio and eating at a deficit, I looked "skinny fat" as people put it.