is this cardio or interval exercising

Options
aisha786
aisha786 Posts: 87 Member
Hi everyone,
I don't know what kind of exercise we'd term this as but this is what I did today. I was hoping someone can tell me if it's just cardio, interval, or something else.

Elliptical machine: 40 minutes
Heart Rate: 160s the entire time after 1-2 minutes of initial getting going til 5 minutes cool down, not included in the 40 minutes
Level: started on Level 8, rpms at 40-43 on average but every few minutes I'd try so hard to get more rpms into the 50s. Then I'd try to increase the resistance and I'd do L9 and stayed around L10 for majority of the time.

Basically, I was just trying to work my you know what off and when I'd get tired I'd slow down a tad or decrease resistance. Then after a minute or so increase it again.

heart rate always remained at the top of my target max rate and always had good resistance

I am sure I wouldn't be working out like a lot but I worked as hard as I could. The machine says I burned 400 calories, but when I inputted it in MFP it said 512 and other calculators say 600 something. The machine I think doesn't take into consideration that I am 188 pounds, not fit. But I'm not 'that' sure it matters.

Does anyone know what a more accurate calorie count burned might be? Also, would this be what is called interval training or simple cardio?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Interval training is work for whatever time frame then rest for time frame. Yes your workout is interval workout. Keep it up. The afterburn effect does exist.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'd just go with logging it as cardio.
  • aisha786
    Options
    Interval training is work for whatever time frame then rest for time frame. Yes your workout is interval workout. Keep it up. The afterburn effect does exist.

So interval workouts don't have to be for an exact 90 on 90 off for example? It can be all erratic? I was trying to just push myself madly. Also, in interval training I am allowed to keep my heart rate up like this?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    If you can do a 1:1 work rest ratio for sprints for examples your in pretty good shape. The ratio can be whatever you can do. Tabata HIIT uses 2:1 work rest ratio which is very hard.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    When I used a heart rate monitor I would get my heart rate into 95% of max which is very dangerous. Do not go that high. For me to go hard in interval training In have to get up there. I do not know the recommended highest heart rate that should be achieve during HIIT. High intensity interval training.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call what you did interval training because it doesn't sound like you ever had rest period (or at least not to the point where your heart rate decreased). Nothing wrong with that, but for true interval training, you need to take those rests and let your body recover a bit. The amount of time that takes depends on fitness level. I know when I do interval training and am wearing my HRM, I'll let my heart rate get down into the 140's at least before I increase the intensity again.

As far as calorie burn, I'd err on the side of caution and go with 400 calories. I don't weigh that much less than you and only get burns like that when I'm going hard on the elliptical (high resistance).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'd just go with logging it as cardio.

This.
    When I used a heart rate monitor I would get my heart rate into 95% of max which is very dangerous. Do not go that high. For me to go hard in interval training In have to get up there. I do not know the recommended highest heart rate that should be achieve during HIIT. High intensity interval training.

How did you figure your 95% max HR?
  • yopeeps025
    Options

http://www.digifit.com/heartratezones/maximum-heart-rate.asp
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

There are a number of options listed there.
  • aisha786
    Options
    I wouldn't call what you did interval training because it doesn't sound like you ever had rest period (or at least not to the point where your heart rate decreased). Nothing wrong with that, but for true interval training, you need to take those rests and let your body recover a bit. The amount of time that takes depends on fitness level. I know when I do interval training and am wearing my HRM, I'll let my heart rate get down into the 140's at least before I increase the intensity again.

As far as calorie burn, I'd err on the side of caution and go with 400 calories. I don't weigh that much less than you and only get burns like that when I'm going hard on the elliptical (high resistance).

Thank you so much for your help.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    interval does not have to be straight exact rest. Sprints and jogging is a form in interval training. A very hard for of interval training. You don't want your heart to decrease that much or at all when doing interval training.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

The rule of thumb is 220-age= max heart rate x 95%= 95% max heart rate
  • aisha786
    Options
    thank you very much for your help.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

The rule of thumb is 220-age= max heart rate x 95%= 95% max heart rate

Which tends to be quite inaccurate. I know for me, it is not at all.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters what you call it, I'd get my own hrm and base my calorie burns off that, not what a machine or mfp says. Your calorie burn changes over time, as your heart gets stronger. Today's workout compared to Saturday's workout doing my 5 mile walk/run was 75 calories less than the workout over the weekend!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I don't think it matters what you call it, I'd get my own hrm and base my calorie burns off that, not what a machine or mfp says. Your calorie burn changes over time, as your heart gets stronger. Today's workout compared to Saturday's workout doing my 5 mile walk/run was 75 calories less than the workout over the weekend!!

Ideally your HRM should allow you to adjust the HR setting, even better, the VO2 max to account for fitness.
    At the same weight and intensity you burn the same amount of calories.
    The link I posted above explains it well.