Sister is making everything so much harder. Help?

Options
2»

Replies

2199216 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with other post let it go and keep unhealthy people out of your. How do you do that by believing in your process and staying try to what you want to accomplish. This is about YOU!
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Change how you react to her. Try agree and amplify.
  • Habhide
    Habhide Posts: 3
    Options
    It's your sister who has the issue, not you. Just keep up what you are doing and ignore her constant nitpicking. Just my .02.
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Seriously? I didn't know weight loss/getting healthy was a competition. It takes two to compete honey. Stop being part of her game.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    You are going to have to learn to let it go.

Realize that she's possibly doing that because she's jealous. No carbs? Won't eat a cookie or a treat? I'd be a hateful grumpy person too!

Good for you for not restricting too much.

I know it's hard to let it go, I said to my sister the other day "when I lose this weight" she corrected me and said "If you do"...yeah it hurt, but I will NOT let it push me into a hateful place. That's on her.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    tumblr_lxutnfgg4i1qffdbh.jpg
  • LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options
    I have to agree with what others have posted and quote the song title from the movie Frozen.....LET IT GO

When you quit giving into her comparisons, and her having to "One Up You", then she'll quit doing it or at least quit telling you she's doing it. Because she's getting a reaction and the reaction that she wants, she's doing it. I'm sure there's a lot of psychological reasons behind it (and most likely they are all her issues) but the bottom line is, no reaction from you will create no comparison from her.

Focus on you. Are you losing weight for her? Are you eating better for her? Are you making your choices for her? I'm pretty sure you'd answer each of those questions with "No" and I hope followed by "I'm doing it for me". If that's the case, then really the next question you need to ask yourself is "If I'm doing this for me, then why does her opinion count?" I can't think of a reason why her opinion should count, so if it doesn't count, then ignore it and keep moving forward with your improvements.

This is going to be an internal conversation you have with yourself for a bit, I wish it could be instantaneous but it's not. You'll get better at it, and you'll quit letting her make it harder on you. You can only change yourself and your attitude, you cannot change your sister or her attitude.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about what your sister is doing...
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Let me tell you a little story. My sister who is 10 years older than me was always tiny and curvy and adorable and ALWAYS more petite than me even though we're the same height. I always knew we had different body types so I didn't get too upset but it was a little annoying. I have always stayed active and have had two kids (she has none) and am still in great shape, especially for my age, etc. She, on the other hand, has gained a ton of weight, has so many excuses I've lost count, and showed me in the last year how she has fat hanging from her forearms now that she can jiggle. She has a very flexible schedule so she just chooses not to exercise or eat well. She's what I call a cheese-a-tarian. She loves to make green shakes and tell everyone she's a vegetarian but in reality she exists on cheese and bread and pasta and I don't remember the last time I saw her eat a vegetable or a fruit.

Worry about yourself, take care of yourself in your own way, stay active. The less you care what she thinks and what she does, the less she'll be competitive and do you REALLY care anyway? You shouldn't. I'm glad I never got worked up about it because look how things have turned out. Come back to us when you are 40 and 50 and tell me who looks healthier and who is happier. It's going to be the one of you that gives up on worrying about the other first.