THM anyone?

Options
bbinoa
bbinoa Posts: 493 Member
Has anyone tried THM (Trim Healthy Mama)? I read the book, and tried to follow for a few days- drove myself crazy with the E/S/FP thing. Just wondering if anyone else has tried it and had success. I'm sure it can't be as difficult as I made it (there are alot of good reviews for it on Amazon and online testimonials).

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Or could just eat at a calorie deficit and save the aggravation. There is no magic combination of foods, eating times or macros that will make you lose weight any more than just being conscious of your food intake.
  • FaithHope76
    FaithHope76 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it loving it! The book is very helpful. Message me if you need help :)
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I've been on the calorie deficit diet foooor 5 months ish. Works pretty well.
  • Lewre78
    Options
    I'm loving THM. It was a bit confusing at first, but after reading the book all the way through then going back through and just finding answers to specific questions it was pretty easy. I love NOT having to count calories. I feel healthier. I really enjoy it. You can join their forums too and find specific help. I just did that today and it seems to be a very friendly community.

I did the calorie deficit way for a while. It worked for losing weight, but did nothing for my health as I was just cutting back on chemicals I put in my body rather than eliminating them and eating healthier.

You can message me with questions if you'd like.

Edited to say: I drove myself crazy with the S/E/FP thing at first too. I don't sweat it anymore. Just make sure I have no carbs with my fats and vice versa. I've found several FP snacks and treats online too, which helps alleviate the need to eat only a certain fuel for three hours. FP can be eaten with either S/E or within 3 hours of having an S or E meal. Did that help or complicate things? lol.
  • bbinoa
    bbinoa Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Edited to say: I drove myself crazy with the S/E/FP thing at first too. I don't sweat it anymore. Just make sure I have no carbs with my fats and vice versa. I've found several FP snacks and treats online too, which helps alleviate the need to eat only a certain fuel for three hours. FP can be eaten with either S/E or within 3 hours of having an S or E meal. Did that help or complicate things? lol.
    [/quote]

What sort of things did you find online as far as snacks? I like to cook, but I need things that are quick too... with work and kids, I just didn't have the time (or ability) to bake or grill a piece of salmon!
  • FaithHope76
    FaithHope76 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Easy snacks Greek yogurt, sweetener, berries, whip up a smoothie (super fast!), baked blue corn chips are on plan, so you can have those with dip or salsa. Veggies an ranch, whip up a batch of muffins on the weekend to have all week.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I just took a gander at the Amazon page. They are making unsubstantiated claims that excess fat around the weight is due to excess carbs (huh?). And that while you are trying to lose weight you should never mix high fat and high carbohydrates (huh??).

Honestly, it sounds gimmicky and complicated, when a simple calorie deficit while hitting your macros will work just as well. Probably better, since calorie counting is the only proven way to lose weight.
  • MommyRN11
    MommyRN11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is THM the real deal? A sustainable way to lose weight without counting, measuring, agonizing? You BET!!! I've been a THM for over one year (hello, I've never stuck to calorie counting or weight watchers that long EVER) and I've lost 60lbs following the food wisdom given! Results speak for themselves, people. If you want to bash a book because it's Christian or you "think" it's a fad (even though you haven't read it or followed it) then go ahead! But you'll be missing out on one life changing, health altering, gold mine of information! What has good old all purpose flour and overly processed wheat products with added sugar done for our society? Given us heart disease, diabetes, renal disease, fed cancer, obesity, sugar addiction... There is something vastly more wrong with the way we eat than simply the amount of calories! I see the fruits of the SAD diet every single day as a med/surg RN. Do me a favor and read the book!
  • dzirbel
    dzirbel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Been using THM for 3 months. Haven't started exercising yet. I wanted to lose 30lbs....I've lost 16 so far and my husband lost 25 and only has 5 to go. I only have read 1/2 the book but it works and can be as simple or as complicated as you make it.
  • esapphire5181
    esapphire5181 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    THMer here too. I started 2nd trimester and have been doing it since about Aug 2013. LOVE IT!! I have NEVER been consistent with any plan. Even with THM have fallen off the wagon here and there, but since you get back on the wagon with your next meal, I'm still losing and feeling good. I originally started with the calorie counting bit and did lose 20-25 lbs there in addition with jogging, but stopped and maintained for about a year. Started THM and it's been melting off. Regarding calorie counting, that's been debunked. NOT true. makes sense mathematically, but the science doesn't back it up. Don't get me wrong, they do effect your weight gain/loss but not to the extent that has been shoved down our throats. So far total weight loss on my journey has been 50lbs, 40 more to go to goal! I love the grace that you have with THM and learning to have grace with myself, not the "oh crap, I messed up and now have to beat myself up at the gym to counteract what I just did". I love how my joints feel better, feet don't hurt anymore in the morning, no more pot belly (still have a belly-4 babies and remember, still 40lbs away from goal. BUT my stomach doesn't stick out like it used to.) the awesome thing is, it isn't a diet but a lifestyle. it's not something you do to reach goal and then say, "Now what?" it teaches you how to also maintain. how to make sure you're getting enough for pregnancy and nursing, how to treat yourself as a whole person, not just how to lose weight. weight loss is just one facet of it.