Cheap & out Of The Box Exercises

Options
Lately I've been looking for out of the box ways to stay healthy to supplement going to our apartment's fitness center 3-4x a week. I've never been one for running outside, and it gets very hot here in Vegas in the summer, so something out of the heat would be ideal.

Does anyone have any ideas about fun fitness that is light on the wallet?
I've also thought about saving up and investing in barre classes, but they get expensive...

Thanks!

Replies

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    You Tube! There are so many different workouts on you tube. Basically most of the basic dvd workouts you can find on there, dumbbell workouts, and all kinds of dance workouts. You cannot get bored with all of those options and it is free.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that! Do you have any recommendations for different videos? :)
    We don't have a ton of space in our apartment, so something requiring minimal equipment haha.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    bodyrock.tv/thedailyHIIT.com
    zuzka light on youtube
    LovingFit with tatianna
    fitness blender
    blogilaties
    strength unbound- website
    nerdfitness- search beginner body weight workout
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    It depends on what you like to do. I love to look up dance workouts and do those or lets say you wanted to try Jillian Michaels workouts or Billy Blanks Tae Bo workouts, you can find those.

When I am searching I usually put in "cardio workout" "full body dumbbell routine" "dance cardio"...just examples. At most you could get a pair of dumbbells to start and a floor/yoga mat. They have them under $15 at Ross/TJ Max.

BeFit is a channel on youtube with tons of workout videos and Fitness Blender!!

Just some ideas.
  • nolanerinbryon
    nolanerinbryon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the You Tube ideas. I don't have a gym membership and have been successful changing up my workouts pretty well with these options. I have used Fitness Blender & Blogilates - agree, those are awesome! Haven't tried the others people mentioned. Fitness Blender has so many different ones and they are quality/very instructional to ensure good form/best burn. You could invest in a DVD - Jillian Michaels makes some that get progressively harder (ie Ripped in 30) - those are only $12 at Target.
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I will look into them when I get home tonight.
    Looking forward to shaking things up! :)
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    bodyrock.tv/thedailyHIIT.com
    zuzka light on youtube
    LovingFit with tatianna
    fitness blender
    blogilaties
    strength unbound- website
    nerdfitness- search beginner body weight workout

I never heard of some of these. I will def have to try them out myself!
  • dcarter1020
    dcarter1020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Thanks!
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yeah, agree on Youtube. I search fitness on youtube using my Xbox or Roku and get all kinds of options. I learned a number of ab workouts, a pushup regimen, a simple follow-along kettlebell workout, a squats routine ... many different things you can do with little to no equipment and a very small footprint.

ETA: Oh, and one thing I do is put together a number of exercises back-to-back for a nice circuit training workout. Jumping jacks, burpees, squats, planks, etc., and I have stairs that I run up and down, as well. Do them back-to-back for a half-hour, and you can get a great workout.
  • nolanerinbryon
    nolanerinbryon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention Pinterest... if you are on Pinterest (or want to be), there are lot of great ideas/links to videos and even more ideas on specific moves to target certain muscle groups. Additionally, you'll find pins that detail out specific circuit workouts like David suggested.
  • curlyslim
    curlyslim Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender on youtube, i think they're brilliant!
  • katwinfree
    katwinfree Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Try Dance Fitness with Jessica. She makes up her own stuff to great songs. She is on FaceBook too! Great Zumba!
  • __hannah_
    __hannah_ Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. Thanks!
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I work out at the community center. You can get a good workout just about anywhere!