Work out for asthmatics

Options
Hey!

So with the spring being "sprung" my allergies and asthma have been acting up. Also have a cold that triggers my asthma.

Are there any low workouts I can do that won't aggravate my chest too much? Videos maybe?

Replies

• shiec92
    shiec92 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I hope someone replies, this is something I'd really appreciate too!
  • superdeformedchibi
    Options
    I usually warm up a little extra longer because if I start too fast, I'll have an asthma attack. I have quite mild asthma, though. If I know I'm going to be something very rigorous I take my albuterol inhaler about 15 mins before I start the exercise as recommended by my doctor. Both of these approaches have never let me down. Good luck!
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I believe swimming is highly recommended for asthmatics :) I would imagine biking is a good one, too.
  • ddslowly
    ddslowly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i do the same things i always do but dial back the intensity a bit and increase the duration. i also keep the inhaler handy just in case.
  • redtreediary
    redtreediary Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going to be something very rigorous I take my albuterol inhaler about 15 mins before I start the exercise as recommended by my doctor.

This.

Also, if you have an allergy trigger, you can take benedryl AND ibuprofen: the benedryl fends off the icks with antihistamine, and the ibuprofen reduces inflammation (which is what an asthma attack is.) If your insurance will cover it, ask your doctor for something like Advair (mine isn't covered right now, and boy do I miss it :( )

I have awful asthma. I run.
  • jovamabob
    jovamabob Posts: 1
    Options
    i go swimming which works well for me. i just take it slow and do it all at my own pace. I set myself goals like 20 lengths and slowly increase the amount im doing each time i go. Take the inhaler before you swim and have it to hand at the side of the pool along with water or whatever else you need. Another thing that works well for me is cycling and again, all at my own pace, slowly building it up.

Check out http://www.asthma.org.uk/knowledge-bank-living-with-asthma-exercise for some good tips and exercises :)
  • superdeformedchibi
    Options
    Swimming is great, but be careful of the chlorine added to the pools; it can trigger an attack.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Swimming, biking, and I've found some of the workouts on FitSugar are good or some Denise Austin videos. I feel myself sweating, but I don't get too wheezy. Oh, and yoga. I had asthma when I was younger then it sort of went away and now I'm on an albuterol inhaler again. I use this before I work out and it seems to make working out much more manageable.
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting, hands down. Doesn't stress your breathing. Walking is always good :)

I'd also like to say that swimming in a chlorinated pool is NOT good for those of us that have asthma if we are having trouble controlling the symptoms.