My scale is crazy!

Options
My scale has gone nuts! I just brought it to my apartment from my parents' house, and the weight it displays varies A LOT based on where on the floor I have the scale. We're talking a 30-lb swing! I don't know how even a slightly uneven surface could create that much difference--and it's a bathroom floor. It should be relatively level.

Replies

• skinnysushicat
    skinnysushicat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Wow! Mine varies by up to 4lb depending on floor, but 30lb - there's something wrong with it, maybe in the journey something got stuck in the mechanism.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Mine is about 20 lbs. I noticed it when I went to the gym and used their scale. I changed the batteries and put it on a level floor but I just don't trust it now.

If you have any weights, you can always put a weight on the scale to see if it's reading right. Also, some scales might not read correctly when you are close to the end of it's range.

I would definitely change the batteries, and find it a nice level place to "live".
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Yes that's the only weight lifting I do at home, is when I put the (2) 10 lb weights on the scale, it reads 25.2 eight times until it finally reads 19.8, then it's QUICK! Jump on!!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Scales are only going to be "accurate" (or as accurate as they can be) on a rock-hard surface with no give. If you place them on a surface that has even a slight amount of give it will transfer some of your weight into the force required to bend the flooring and subtract that from your displayed weight.

Of course as long as you weigh in the same place everytime it doesn't really matter for the purposes of tracking your weight loss as it is all relative and "weight" is sort of arbitrary anyways.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You could also try replacing the battery.
  • Swilla_Swole
    Swilla_Swole Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Scales are the biggest liars I ever met. :happy:
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You could also try replacing the battery.

yup! ours was doing the same thing, new battery fixed it
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Buy a new scale.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I hate to tell you this, but it may not just be a battery issue. A friend of mine on here (and she may chime in) had a scale doing the same and it was something wrong with the actual scale inside. Something to do with it got jarred (dropped or something) and it caused the sensor to not work correctly and read wildly like that. This may be extreme, but what I did was go to the Doc's and got weighed then went straight to the store and tried every scale until I got one that was exactly the same as it. The fourth one I got did the trick. It is a basic Taylor scale and has worked great for years now. I've checked it and it's always been right no matter which floor I put it on as long as it is a level, hard surface. I checked another scale against it for my parents and when he went to the Doc, he told him his weight and they said, 'Well, we check anyways because those are always off.' And it was SPOT ON. That one was a Weight Watchers Scale from Costco. My suggestion is to return it if it is fairly new or just buy a new one. Especially if changing the location and battery hasn't helped.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    1) Mark the corners of where the scale gives you an "accurate" reading. Accurate-enough. Take a Sharpie, mark dots at the corners or something. Always put the scale there.

2) Get a doctor's scale.
  • emkrichardson
    emkrichardson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The one I'm having issues with is a WW scale. I have a super cheapy one I left at my parents', but I thought the fancy one would be more accurate. Joke's on me!
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    The one I'm having issues with is a WW scale. I have a super cheapy one I left at my parents', but I thought the fancy one would be more accurate. Joke's on me!

Well, I only paid $15 for it at Costco so for me it was a cheapy! LOL I really am sorry -- I know it's frustrating!
  • TrolleyRide
    TrolleyRide Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It can be hurtful to have these accusations flung around recklessly. Have you had it assessed by a professional?
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my dad bought me a solid oak board to put it on so I would get accurate readings. The floor matters a lot wit those little step-on scales. I wish I had space for a medical scale with the sliding weights, but my apartment is not so accommodating.