• Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Thanks Cwolfman!

Makes sense.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I'm working with a trainer for heavy lifting. He doesn't want me to doing any regular cardio--only HIIT 1-2 days per week (1 if I'm in a lifting phase of 4 days per week, 2 days of HIIT if I'm lifting just 2 days). He said that if I must do regular cardio for my own pleasure, it should be for no longer than 40 minutes and no more than 70% of my max heart rate. I haven't done any regular cardio in a couple of months now.

Basically, he said that regular cardio and heavy lifting would ask my body to pursue competing goals.
  • livinatthegym
    livinatthegym Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi. It is totally up to you. Listen to your body and see how it feels. I do cardio at least one hour six days a week and on mon, tue, thur, I do an extra hour in the evening. I also swim at least 3 x's a week, do TRX 3x's a week and I lift weights 4x's a week. It works for me and feels right. The bottom line is this routine may be too hard for some and too easy for others...you have to gauge yourself and do what feels best. Best of luck to you!
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I just finished up 12 weeks of Stronglifts, while eating at a deficit. My primary goal was to retain muscle while losing weight. I did SL 3x a week and cardio (37 minutes kickboxing video) 3x a week on intervening days.

When I started to stall in weight progression, I I kept confusing myself with the "don't do cardio" advice, as I really wanted to progress in my weights, as the SL program is pretty focused on this progression. But I had to keep reminding myself that I wasn't going to build that much strength (deficit eating) and that I really wanted to keep doing cardio because I'd found it so difficult when I started out (thus I reasoned that I really needed to keep at it or I'd lose my cardio progress).

Ultimately, I decided to keep at the cardio but not push myself too hard at it, as when I did it left me drained for the following day's lifting session. And instead of the SL "add 5 pounds every session until you stall/if you fail 3 times deload/add 5 pounds....." approach I ended up just sticking at my stalled weight for as long as I needed to.

I think a good approach is to decide on your personal goals and remind yourself of them periodically.
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    FWIW, I'm working with a trainer for heavy lifting. He doesn't want me to doing any regular cardio--only HIIT 1-2 days per week (1 if I'm in a lifting phase of 4 days per week, 2 days of HIIT if I'm lifting just 2 days). He said that if I must do regular cardio for my own pleasure, it should be for no longer than 40 minutes and no more than 70% of my max heart rate. I haven't done any regular cardio in a couple of months now.

Basically, he said that regular cardio and heavy lifting would ask my body to pursue competing goals.

This would be the reason I started the thread. lol...Seeing this on the internet caused me to get confused....

Are you bulking? or eating at a deficit to lose weight but trying to preserve muscle?

Edit: I could deal with doing just 30 minutes of cardio.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Just FYI, here is a write up on cardio from the Stronglifts website.

http://stronglifts.com/cardio-fat-loss-hiit-vs-long-duratio-cardio/
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    @ Christianwife Thank you for your answer. You look great!

So in your opinion you would say it would be okay for me to do say, 30 minutes of cardio(running/jogging on say 5.0 speed after lifting, which would be three days a week, and perhaps, on off days, 2 days of say 30 min running on treadmill and 30 minutes on stairmaster? So a total of 3x lifting and 5x cardio without it interfering with muscle repair? Just trying to rap this around my head since there is so much conflicting opinions out there on the internet. lol

To add to what others have said, and speaking as someone that just started Stronglifts 5x5 last week, I do not feel I'd be able to do any cardio right after lifting. So if you anticipate lifting for 45 mins to complete one of the SL workouts and then hopping on the treadmill for 30 mins of running, you may not be able to do all 30 mins (but as with anything, YMMV). I walked for 5 mins on the treadmill this morning after completing workout B and could barely move my legs. I'd stick with cardio on non-lifting days to make the best use of your time.
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    Hi. It is totally up to you. Listen to your body and see how it feels. I do cardio at least one hour six days a week and on mon, tue, thur, I do an extra hour in the evening. I also swim at least 3 x's a week, do TRX 3x's a week and I lift weights 4x's a week. It works for me and feels right. The bottom line is this routine may be too hard for some and too easy for others...you have to gauge yourself and do what feels best. Best of luck to you!

Thank you!
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    Just FYI, here is a write up on cardio from the Stronglifts website.

http://stronglifts.com/cardio-fat-loss-hiit-vs-long-duratio-cardio/

Thanks! Ill check it out!
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    I just finished up 12 weeks of Stronglifts, while eating at a deficit. My primary goal was to retain muscle while losing weight. I did SL 3x a week and cardio (37 minutes kickboxing video) 3x a week on intervening days.

When I started to stall in weight progression, I I kept confusing myself with the "don't do cardio" advice, as I really wanted to progress in my weights, as the SL program is pretty focused on this progression. But I had to keep reminding myself that I wasn't going to build that much strength (deficit eating) and that I really wanted to keep doing cardio because I'd found it so difficult when I started out (thus I reasoned that I really needed to keep at it or I'd lose my cardio progress).

Ultimately, I decided to keep at the cardio but not push myself too hard at it, as when I did it left me drained for the following day's lifting session. And instead of the SL "add 5 pounds every session until you stall/if you fail 3 times deload/add 5 pounds....." approach I ended up just sticking at my stalled weight for as long as I needed to.

I think a good approach is to decide on your personal goals and remind yourself of them periodically.

Good advice!

Thank you!
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, you should have no trouble doing cardio on your off days of Stronglifts. In several weeks, when the weights start getting really heavy, you might have to make some trade-offs. If you start feeling worn down, unmotivated, or you can't sleep, then you may not be getting enough recovery time. You'll need to cut something out then.

When you feel like you're over-training, you could cut back Stronglifts to 3x5 (3 sets of 5) instead of 5x5. Or you could do Stronglifts 2 times a week instead of 3. Or you could stay with the 5x5 three times a week and reduce your cardio.

But don't worry about cutting back until you need to. You might be one of those lucky people who can do strength training and cardio together with no trouble at all.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I try to lift heavy 3x per week and do intense cardio 2 days a week and then of course take my pups on walks as often as I can. Its easiest for me to do my cardio right before I lift.
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    @ Christianwife Thank you for your answer. You look great!

So in your opinion you would say it would be okay for me to do say, 30 minutes of cardio(running/jogging on say 5.0 speed after lifting, which would be three days a week, and perhaps, on off days, 2 days of say 30 min running on treadmill and 30 minutes on stairmaster? So a total of 3x lifting and 5x cardio without it interfering with muscle repair? Just trying to rap this around my head since there is so much conflicting opinions out there on the internet. lol

To add to what others have said, and speaking as someone that just started Stronglifts 5x5 last week, I do not feel I'd be able to do any cardio right after lifting. So if you anticipate lifting for 45 mins to complete one of the SL workouts and then hopping on the treadmill for 30 mins of running, you may not be able to do all 30 mins (but as with anything, YMMV). I walked for 5 mins on the treadmill this morning after completing workout B and could barely move my legs. I'd stick with cardio on non-lifting days to make the best use of your time.

THank you for this answer!

I will gauge it as I go. I start today, matter of fact in a few and will determine if I'm able to do any running after. Ill try and do some form of cardio but it will depend on how my legs feel. Even if its walking to get the blood circulating.

Again thank you!
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    In the beginning, you should have no trouble doing cardio on your off days of Stronglifts. In several weeks, when the weights start getting really heavy, you might have to make some trade-offs. If you start feeling worn down, unmotivated, or you can't sleep, then you may not be getting enough recovery time. You'll need to cut something out then.

When you feel like you're over-training, you could cut back Stronglifts to 3x5 (3 sets of 5) instead of 5x5. Or you could do Stronglifts 2 times a week instead of 3. Or you could stay with the 5x5 three times a week and reduce your cardio.

But don't worry about cutting back until you need to. You might be one of those lucky people who can do strength training and cardio together with no trouble at all.

Thanks Rick! When doing strength training and even using a weight machine for 40 mins,,I would do like 100-120lbs for legs(5x 6-8 reps).. I had no problem doing 30 mins of stairmaster before, weights, then 30 minutes of running after. Even when strength training at home(just 14-16lb barbell with 40lb weights). I just always kept the running under 30 minutes even though I could have gone longer.

But, I know lifting is a different ball game and you are right, as the weights get heavier things will more than likely change and cardio will become less. Or maybe Ill be lucky and have no trouble at all. lol.... but if it affects my lifting then I may have to cut back on cardio.

Time will tell.

Again thank you everyone for your answers. Going to go to the gym now!
  • Sreneesa
    Options
    I try to lift heavy 3x per week and do intense cardio 2 days a week and then of course take my pups on walks as often as I can. Its easiest for me to do my cardio right before I lift.

THank you!
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,256 Member
    Options
    Hello OP, this question really depends on your goals. if you want to bulk up then you can lift 3-5 days a week. Resting the body parts that you work out a day in between, and if you still want to do cardio do that after you lift. I have been lifting for years but I have recently started doing HIIT with weights integrated (mainly KB's) 3-5 x weekly. I have seen an increase in muscle tone and lost weight as well as fat and have seen muscle gain as well.
    I hope you find out what works for you. Best wishes.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Just like everyone else (almost everyone anyways) says - listen to your body.

I lift 3 times a week and usually run 6 days a week. Days where I lift, I run between 3-4 miles. Days I don't lift I run 5,6 or double digit miles if I have time. I can tell you, though, that my body is feeling it some days more than others and some days my running pace is a lot slower than I normally am and I'm fine with that. I'm enjoying the benefits from lifting but LOVE running and refuse to not do it on an almost daily basis.

It was hard for me to dial down from high mileage weeks and be OK with running "just" 3 miles a few days aw eek, but listening to my body has been key in not getting injured or worn out so far.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You will fall into a routine that suits your current fitness level and there are some decent goals suggested here. Whatever your goals are, ease into the program and make sure you're feeling strong before adding to your load.

You mentioned wanting to do 30-40 minutes of cardio 3 days per week and it's a perfectly good place to start. Just be sure to keep the sessions moderate. You want to avoid overtraining and overtraining related injuries. Pull back if you're running out of gas on weight lifting days and steadily increase if you're feeling strong.

P.S. Cardio on days you're sore from weight lifting is not a bad idea. It helps alleviate soreness and promotes quicker muscle repair. Just make sure you have at least one solid rest day per week and watch out for overtraining symptoms. Sore is good, pain is bad.
  • LizaDK914
    LizaDK914 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't know how intense StrongLift is. However, I follow a plan prescribed by my gym as part of an overall healthy (though it's extremely arguable if you look at my diary - I know that) eating and exercise plan. The weight training is pretty rough. On the off days, they prescribe a full 60 minutes of cardio. The training days also include 45 minutes (a 15 minute warmup and 30 minute cooldown/steady cardio session) on the workout days.

If you exclude the past month, which has been a bit of a plateu for me, I've been doing great actually with all that cardio. My muscles are being defined and are firming up quite nicely. Clothes I was wearing at the beginning are falling off now.

Sooo ... that's what I had to add. Not sure if it's helpful, but hopefully!

*** Edit note: I also should point out, I did develop plantar fascitis. I think it has more to do with the type of shoes I was wearing at the beginning, because I thought I had high arches when I in fact have flat feet. So, there's a lesson in making sure you get correctly fitting shoes!
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think it is very important to remember that you need to listen to your body. You will know if you are doing too much. Every person is different. I incorporate my cardio in between my lifting per a suggestion from a trainer friend. I do one circuit then cardio for 10 minutes (burpies, sprints, running stairs, kettle ball etc). I do this 5x. It takes about 90 minutes. Most weeks I cannot do cardio the day after that because it is extremely hard on your body. But, some days I just do endurance cardio if I am not too worn out.