Losing weight for nothing!!

Options
So everyone, and I mean everyone that I personally know that has lost weight has gained it back. I just don't get it! I have been struggling to lose weight (well, stick to a weight loss plan) for many, many years and I have to be honest, I'm terrified of losing the weight just to gain it back! Why do people allow themselves to gain the weight back? Or is it harder to maintain a weight loss? I just don't want to be one of those ones who loses weight then gains it all back and feels hopeless all over again. How do we truly keep the weight we lose off? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I lost weight the first time around via WW, I was often hungry, I never did any exercise and I had an active lifestyle.

Not too long after they changed the plan so it was near impossible to follow for me personally. I went through a lot of stress, my dad passed away, I got divorced and many other things were going on. Working out how to maintain was the last thing on my mind, then I met someone new, was uber happy, my lifestyle changed from an active one to a very inactive one and I had a way larger income too (more meals out, more takeaways, more wine etc).

Then I realised not only had I gained the weight back but extra and I wasn't happy so here I am doing it the RIGHT way for me that will lead me being able to maintain it easily even if life throws cr*p at me again.

Many people will look for quick fixes and "diets" to lose weight then once they have lost it, they think they can go back to how they were and then pile it back on.
    051214 Posts: 5
    Options
    I guess I'm looking for tips on how to lose weight for the long haul
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I think that the best advise that I can give is that in order to succeed for life, you have to come up with a dietary plan that works for you. People often gain pounds back when they've restricted a portion of their diet, and then once they hit their goal weight, they immediately start eating all of those foods again that made them overweight in the first place.

When people think of the word "diet" they often think that it always means that you're never eating a certain group of foods. However, when it comes to my diet, that pretty much means that I try my best to eat healthy but if I want to eat some candy on a Friday while watching a movie, then I'm gonna ****ing do it. But that's just me. That's how I keep myself in check - I need a balance in my life. I don't enjoy it if I also can't enjoy my food and I won't allow myself to feel guilty just because I went over 1300 calories in one day. That's no fun.

Side note - when I started on MFP I only weighed 127. That was in January and just by watching my portion sizes, I've lost 7-8 pounds in four months. I've eaten whatever I've wanted because I understand that this is how I have to do this. This is what works for me.
    Options
    I lost weight the first time around via WW, I was often hungry, I never did any exercise and I had an active lifestyle.

Not too long after they changed the plan so it was near impossible to follow for me personally. I went through a lot of stress, my dad passed away, I got divorced and many other things were going on. Working out how to maintain was the last thing on my mind, then I met someone new, was uber happy, my lifestyle changed to an active one to a very inactive one and I had a way larger income too (more meals out, more takeaways, more wine etc).

Then I realised not only had I gained the weight back but extra and I wasn't happy so here I am doing it the RIGHT way for me that will lead me being able to maintain it easily even if life throws cr*p at me again.

Many people will look for quick fixes and "diets" to lose weight then once they have lost it, they think they can go back to how they were and then pile it back on.

Thanks for your reply. I am glad you are doing it for you and for the right reasons. I do think that for me having something to look forward to will help me to lose weight and keep it off. Like a goal to want to reach. It's just the motivation part and being able to stay on track part.
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Be different. Don't diet, eat in a way that you can enjoy for the rest of your life.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    i think the best way to keep it off is to always stay at a bit of a deficit but not as high as when you were trying to lose the weight or loseing weight
    Options
    People gain it back for the same reasons they had it in the first place.

Food is tasty, exercise is hard.

People will put a lot more thought/excuses into it. Something came up, they were depressed, winter was cold, didn't have the time, yada yada yada...

I lost a lot of weight, I was very happy with myself. I was so happy and proud that I started to slack off and promptly regained 20lbs. "Bulking" my *kitten*.

Point is it happens. The question is if you let it get worse or you do something about it. Same as when you start losing to begin with.

I really like your response, thank you!
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I know people have heard this a MILLION times, but it has to be a lifestyle change!!!!
    Options
    Be different. Don't diet, eat in a way that you can enjoy for the rest of your life.

You are right! Great advice
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person but I'll tell you what's worked for me this time:

First of all, I'm not on a "diet". I'm not restricting any foods, rather limiting the amount of the foods I eat, finding healthy alternatives and/or indulging less often. For instance, I'll still have pizza but instead of eating half a large loaded, I'll have 3 or 4 slices of a medium with veggies on a thinner crust. And I try to restrict pizza night to once every couple weeks. Handling weight loss this way has made it easier to do long term. Whereas I used to cut out most/all of the foods I liked and then a few months later I'd get sick of all the cravings and quit.

Second, I found exercises that I enjoy so that I'll stick with them. Sort of the same idea as not depriving myself of food because I'm not feeling like I'm forcing myself to do something just to lose weight. There are a million things you read that you "should" do but if you don't enjoy them, at some point you'll stop or at least be less consistent. To me it's better to do something consistently than nothing at all. For instance, I've severely decreased my strength training lately because the weather is perfect for walking/running and I'd rather be outside enjoying the day. I'll get back to weights again when it gets too hot out.

Third, I'm losing for a better reason. In the past, I tried to lose weight to please other people or to get trimmer for a certain event like being in a wedding or going to a reuinion or vacations. This never worked long term because once that event came and went, I just went back to my old bad habits. This time I'm doing it for my health and fitness which is a life long goal.

Good luck!
  • jldahlen21
    jldahlen21 Posts: 18
    Options
    I gained back the weight and don't care for myself the way I should as a result of me really searching and discovering I just wanted some one to care for me.... I could go on but won't bore you... I think it's really a mental thing to figure out. Add me if you'd like to talk more.
  • jtyler83
    jtyler83 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    do it for vanity. once you start liking the mirror you'll never want to go back
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i think that too many of us see a finish line and think we'll be done there. when that's not at all how it works. it's a lifelong change (when done right) and not something you're going to win a gold star for.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I think most people who gain it all back lost weight with a fad diet or a crash diet. I mean, if you only eat 500 calories a day sure you'll lose weight, but that's completely unsustainable. I think the best advice as far as keeping it off is making small changes that you can do for a long time, if that makes sense.
  • gravalis
    gravalis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I decided it was time to confront the extra pounds, I spent some time trying to decide the right way. I went to several weight loss clinics, met with my Doctor, read books and then made my decision about how to go about it. While the clinics were tempting because they promised quick results, I knew that it would not be something I could maintain. I decided what I needed was not a diet but a lifestyle change. The shift in mindset is key because it suggests that this is not something that you do for a period of time but that you do forever. If you revert to your old habits, common sense says you will revert to your same size as well. The readings I have done and am continuing to do has been very helpful to educate me on best practices, such as eating 6 mini meals a day to keep your metabolism constantly revved up and to eat a mixture of protein, carbs and fat at each meal. I have lost 32lbs and am about halfway to my goal. Body For Life is a great book if you'd like to read more about some of the principles I've mentioned here. Good luck! You can do it!
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I lost a pretty good chunk of weight on MFP last year around this time (Eating just 1200 per day, not eating back exercise calories, because I didn't visit these forums, so I didn't know any better. Got down to 140 lbs) but gained it all back and then some.

Why? Because I'm an IDIOT.

I got to my goal weight, but never entered these forums even a single time. I didn't know anything about "switching to maintenance calories" so I just started eating whatever I wanted, as much as I wanted. I even continued to lose weight that way for a short time and thought to myself, "wow, I'm still losing, why did I bother dieting". Now, the loss didn't continue forever, and as life got increasingly hectic the big portions continued until I'd arrived right back where I started.

The big problem for me was that I was uninformed, and also I was thinking of MFP as a "diet" which implies limiting yourself and also implies that it ends at some point. That's not how I think of MFP anymore. MFP isn't a diet, it's a lifelong change that will help me to hold onto all the hard won progress I've made. It doesn't end when I reach goal weight, it just changes a little.
    I'm never gaining this weight back again!
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Lots of people, not ALL people will gain weight back. It's because we often get lazy, and by lazy I don't mean not moving. I mean we get lazy with our nutrition and too lax with food choices. We tend to get comfortable and really enjoy being thinner, example: going out more often.

I find the best way to maintain is to keep a lot of the same habits. Like being mindful of food choices. Also continuing to educate myself as well as finding a sustainable exercise routine, like walking 3-4 times a week.

This is what I've learned I will HAVE to do, because I have teeter-tottered but have never gained back the full first 35 pounds I lost. Maintenance is a switch but the only way we can maintain is to keep some of the behaviours we learned from losing in the first place :)
  • Mom_of_X
    Mom_of_X Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i think keeping it fresh went a long way for me - when the same old routine got boring, i found something new to engage in: new exercises, new fitness goals, new food adventures (pescatarian, vegetarian, ethnic exploration, etc.). i hit my ideal weight in 2006. even after having a baby, i knew enough about the process and myself to understand how to get rid of the extra weight in a healthy, sustainable way, and go back to where i was.

good luck!