Crock Pot Recipes Needed

crazycat327
crazycat327 Posts: 14
edited September 22 in Recipes
I received a crock pot for Christmas and I'm looking for easy low fat/cal/sodium recipes. The recipe book only came with a few that I would try. Most of them use condensed soups, packaged dressing mixes or canned vegggies.

I've never used a crock pot but I would love to be able to make a batch of something and freeze single portions to use during the week for lunch or dinners.

I'm surfing the web for ideas but would love some starter suggestions from members.

Thanks!
:happy:

Replies

• msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    This site has 365 crock pot recipes. You have to lighten some of them up but it's not hard.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/02/creamy-crockpot-apple-oatmeal.html
  • fasolane
    fasolane Posts: 5 Member
    My favorite crock pot recipe is the easiest and tastiest! Just take a small pork shoulder, cut out all the fat, and place it in the crock pot with a small chopped onion, a minced clove of garlic, and cover it with about 2 cups of low sodium, fat free chicken broth. Season with pepper and a little italian seasoning. Cook on low for about 6 to 8 hours.

Great protein and tastes delicious when served with a small salad.

My family, of course, heaps on the barbecue sauce and dinner rolls and says it is the best bbq ever.

Enjoy!
  • Mandee87
    Mandee87 Posts: 35 Member
    I'm in the same boat as you! I got a Crock Pot for Christmas as well and haven't been able to use it too much because I can't find any good healthy recipes. The only thing I've really made in mine was chicken soup. Water, Boneless skinless chicken breasts, fresh veggies, garlic and other seasonings. I believe it came out to about 150 cals a serving, but don't quote me on that! Good luck, I hope you find lots of nice healthy recipes!! =]
  • I like to layer green or red pepper strips and onions in the bottom. Season whatever meat you like. Cover with 2 cans tomato. They have some that are mexican or italian that are really good. Steam some brown rice and serve meat and veggies over it. If you use a lean sirloin this is a nice swiss steak.
  • cmo115
    cmo115 Posts: 73 Member
    I love sparkrecipes.com
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=672711

And this recipe is SO EASY AND DELICIOUS if you like chicken. I don't like cream of mushroom soup so I use cream of chicken. I also leave out the sour cream. 157.2 calories per serving.

Ingredients
    4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    1 cup salsa
    1 package reduced sodium taco seasoning
    1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup (condensed)
    1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream

Directions
    Add chicken to slow cooker.
    Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken.
    Pour salsa and soup over chicken.
    Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
    Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
    Serve with rice.

NOTES:
    You may use half the packet of taco seasoning (I have started doing this to reduce sodium content myself)

Some slow cookers cook faster than others. Mine is a true slow cooker (have had it over 10 years.) The newer ones cook a bit faster and you may have to adjust your cooking time based on that!

I get many emails asking how much a serving is. I don't think I have ever measured it sorry! I just know that five people eat and I usually have one serving left over.
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
  • Thanks everyone! I'm off to a great start!
    :happy:
  • thisis4me
    thisis4me Posts: 219 Member
    Everyone posted some great links and recipes....thanks and thank you crazycat327 for posting!! :)
  • kelhun1
    kelhun1 Posts: 183 Member
    This is the easiest thing I have found and my family loves it. Actually, we had it tonight.

Shredded BBQ Chicken:

Pour a can of chicken broth in the crockpot. Toss in a TBS or so of chopped garlic and a couple shakes of pepper. Toss in a package of fresh chicken breasts (usually 1-2 pounds). I usually buy them when they are on sale and freeze them. You don't even have to defrost them for this recipe. Set them to cook for 6-8 hours.

About a half hour before you are ready to eat, take the chicken out of the broth and put them in a bowl. Use two forks to shred them. Dump all the liquid/ fat from the crockpot and wipe it out with a paper towel. Put the chicken back in the crockpot with your favorite BBQ sauce and leave on "warm" until dinner time. Serve on hamburger buns.

I've also added different seasoning packets (italian, lemon-pepper, etc.) to the chicken before it cooks instead of using BBQ. I've used it for chicken and rice and it's really good on salads.
  • i cook everything in the crock pot!! its my favorite thing to do! i do it cause i work and i hate to come home and start cooking a meal for my family!
    instead i walk thru the door, house smelling delish......and dinner is done! just gotta make a salad!

so
    throw a frozen small chicken in there...add water or broth to bottom of it! throw in some veggies and any kind of spice u like! cook 6-8 hrs!
    or......frozen pork chops........add bbq sauce on them...cook for 5-6 hrs! ideal if u have a timer on yr crock pot
    or.....chili.....make as u would in a pot! make sure u cook ground beef before. just add in crock pot and cook for 6-8 hrs
    or......frozen chix breasts.....add cream or chix or cream of mushroom or salsa or bbq sauce or tastefully simply spices or
    broth or red gravy or stewed tomatoes!! cook for 5-6 hrs...again perfect if u have a timer on ur crock pot
    or.....frozen london broil....add italian dressing or just salt and pepper cook 6-8 hrs
    or.....frozen roast.....add veggies u like and crock pot away! 6-8 hrs!

whatever u cook in the oven or on the stove....u can do in a crock pot!!! trust me!!!! i do it almost 4-5 times per week!!!

good luck and if u have any questions....email/friend me! we are here to do this goal together! :) jen
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    With all of my sons extra curriculars, the crockpot is my best friend!
    I like the crockpot 365 website as well as eatingwell.com.

Some of my families favorites: Lentil Soup, Turkey Chili, Roast, chicken and salsa and pork tenderloin. I've even made meatloaf in the crockpot.

Our fav roast recipe is super easy...
    Slice a large onion thinly and toss it in the bottom of the crock. Throw in some minced garlic (to taste). Put your beef roast on top of the onions and throw a jar of banana peppers on top. Cook on low for 8 hours. Serve with a salad and some mashed red potatoes. It's so amazingly good!!!!!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Check out this post. There are a ton of good recipes.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113439-what-is-your-fav-slow-cooker-recipe
  • YUM!!!! These recipes sound great!!! :love:
    Everyone has been a big help in responding! Thanks again!!
  • bslclay
    bslclay Posts: 55 Member
    Thanks for posting crazycat327! This has been given me some good ideas! I hate to come home from work and have to cook. Now if I can remember to start it in the morning....
  • rinren84
    rinren84 Posts: 82 Member
    Italian beef! Not a bad dinner served on Sara Lee 80 calorie wheat buns

1.5-2 lb boneless beef roast of any kind - trimmed of most fat
    1 jar Mount Olive Sliced Pepperocinis (definitely use already sliced)
    1 Tbsp Beef bouillon granules, S&P, 1 tsp minced/powdered onion
    OR
    1 package onion soup mix
    2 Tbsp worchestershire
    enough water to cover half of roast

Cook on low up to 10 hours or on high 4-6.
    Serves 8

Calories 224
    Carbs 1
    Sugar 0
    Protein 24
    Fat 12
    Sodium 402
  • tara3103
    tara3103 Posts: 107
    bump
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    I got a new crock pot for Christmas too...these sound great
  • Easy Mexican chicken dish:
    What you need:
    -One can of black beans ( I buy low sodium)
    -One pack of chicken breasts, frozen or thaw
    -One jar of salsa

Rinse the black beans and pour them in the bottom of the pot.
    Place chicken on top of the beans. I always season my chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. No matter what dish I'm making!
    Pour jar of salsa over top.

Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours if chicken is frozen, 4 to 6 is chicken is thaw.

*Variations:
    -add corn with your black beans
    -add half a block of cream cheese on top in the last half hour of the cooking. Then shred the chicken and mix everything up. It makes for a great 'dip' with tortilla chips or is even delicious on taco shells for a dinner! Much more fattening, however.
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Seriously easy chicken taco filling:
    One package of boneless skinless chicken breasts
    one package taco seasoning
    cover with water
    let it go on med while you work (8-9 hours)
    shred chicken and serve your tacos!
  • AJs_mom
    AJs_mom Posts: 64 Member
    Thanks for the topic!

I've had a slow cooker for approx 10yrs and as much as I like to use it, I don't use it enough! Working full time with 2 kids, makes for a hectic dinner routine. I would love to use it daily. Takes a lot of guess work and hassel out of the mealtime.

Thanks for all the ideas!
This discussion has been closed.