Losing weight for nothing!!

Options

Replies

• Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I am watching what I eat...not dieting.
    I didn't try to lose 2lbs a week for every single lb. I worked from 2lbs per week when I was rated as obese, and then kept cutting down my deficit the closer I got to my goal weight. This teaches me how much I can eat, so when I am at goal, I am already pretty much eating as I need to to stay that weight.
    And if I notice I am gaining fat, I'll cut back a bit, or try and be a bit more active, till I like what I see in the mirror again.
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Getting to an ideal weight is a milestone, but it's not the end. Maintenance is as difficult as losing. I personally know of no one who has continued to log food during maintenance who has gained it all back.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    People gain it back for the same reasons they had it in the first place.

Food is tasty, exercise is hard.

People will put a lot more thought/excuses into it. Something came up, they were depressed, winter was cold, didn't have the time, yada yada yada...

I lost a lot of weight, I was very happy with myself. I was so happy and proud that I started to slack off and promptly regained 20lbs. "Bulking" my *kitten*.

Point is it happens. The question is if you let it get worse or you do something about it. Same as when you start losing to begin with.

Absolutely all of this!

Another thing that seems to happen after you lose weight is a period of time that goes by where you seem to be able to eat what you want without gaining weight. I think what's really happening is your quantities just slowly creep up. You stop weighing yourself because you think you look the same. Then your pants start getting a little tight and you switch to stretchy material which gives you a false sense of security for at least 20lbs ;-)

I've gained and lost weight countless times and ultimately it's because I stop tracking and weighing.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    People stop paying attention.
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    They gain the weight back just like addicts relapse. They believe diet and exercise is only for fatties and that thin people don't have to do those things. So they lose the weight and then say "I'm fine now, I can eat like a pig and never work out!" Then they gain it back.

To avoid the yo-yo cycle, you need to view these efforts as permanent lifestyle changes. And you need to enjoy healthy eating and exercise.
  • bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    People keep asking me what "diet" I'm on... I respond by telling them I'm not on a diet per se, I've changed my lifestyle.

I eat healthy foods in appropriate portion sizes and exercise everyday, period. My mindset has always been to make sustainable changes in my life, otherwise I will just gain it all back.

If I have a craving for a specific food I'll find a way to either substitute an equally tasty healthy option or else work the actual food into my days calorie needs.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Create habits you can maintain for the rest of your life. Don't "diet" by eating only "healthy" foods and never allowing yourself to eat the things you enjoy. Follow the 80/20 rule. Get regular exercise. Maybe the weight won't come off as quickly as some of those crazy diets where they eat next to nothing and exercise six hours a day, but you will not gain it back because you will not go off the new routine. Unlike the crazy diets that only last until they reach their goal, and then of course they put the weight back on because they went back to their old habits of eating a ton of calories and not exercising.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    The amount of time it takes to lose it plays a pretty big part as well, actually. Most studies correlate people who took their sweet time taking it off gradually with those that manage to keep it off. The key (I _think_, time will tell) is to make small, gradual changes you can live with, and to give your body time to adjust. Hormone levels change, and depending on how quickly you lose, hunger indicators may not. That's a huge factor right there.

Most people get SUPER motivated and lose a ton of weight in a pretty narrow time frame, and that's the big eye-popping change, for sure, but it's not manageable long-term. You'll also want to consider your own body composition. I'm an endomorph, for example, on the tall side, and I've always been lean and heavier than other girls, even when I was doing ballet semi-professionally as a teenager. I'll never be a waif, and trying to get down there isn't healthy for me - my body is more likely to freak out and I'm way more likely to put it all back on.

I guess shoot for personal health, is what I'm saying. Find what's right for you. You don't have to be the cross-fit girl in the center of the gym or the hipster waif in the mall. Find your healthy spot, take it slow, be good to yourself, and don't freak out if you slip a little. Keeping the big picture in mind helps a lot, I think.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I know people have heard this a MILLION times, but it has to be a lifestyle change!!!!

This times 100. I'm not dieting. I'm changing the way I view nutrition, physical activity and how I treat my body. It's not a destination (to a certain weight), it's a journey (to healthier life).

Gosh I'm corny.
  • runcrissierun
    runcrissierun Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    take into consideration HOW they lose it before worrying if it will happen to you. Did they have a "diet" mentality and then go back to their old habits? Did they do a silly quick fix program that isn't healthy and sustainable (ie - Atkins?). Did they drop too much weight too fast? Was healthy eating and healthy exercise built in for the long term?

You will be successful and it will last - because you will do it in a healthy way with a great community!
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of reasons for this.
    1. People diet and diet and exercise and exercise until they reach their goal, then they go back to old habits and the way they used to eat and act.

2. People diet and diet and exercise, and as they do, they lose muscle as well as fat. This is especially bad on diets like Medifast or the various "cleanses" out there. Their bodyfat percentage doesn't change a whole lot, they are the same composition only smaller now. They have slowed their metabolism at that point, so when they start eating a bit more, they gain again...

To avoid this, you have to change your lifestyle. No more dieting. New habits. You also need to lift weights to maintain as much muscle as you can while you are losing weight, and to up your metabolism so you can have your cake and veggies too ;)

Good luck. You're on here for a reason. If you want better health, go for it!
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    "Losing weight is easy - maintenance is hard."

You hear it over & over & over & over. Like many people said above - it has to be a lifestyle change. You have to be always be aware of what you're eating. ALWAYS.

Some people can eat whatever they want & not gain weight.

You will never be one of those people - once you come to grips with that, then you will be mentally prepared to tackle maintenance.
  • khkjkk
    khkjkk Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    People keep asking me what "diet" I'm on... I respond by telling them I'm not on a diet per se, I've changed my lifestyle.

I eat healthy foods in appropriate portion sizes and exercise everyday, period. My mindset has always been to make sustainable changes in my life, otherwise I will just gain it all back.

If I have a craving for a specific food I'll find a way to either substitute an equally tasty healthy option or else work the actual food into my days calorie needs.

^ This.

When I was in the 'diet' mindset, I lost a great deal of weight only to gain 1/3 of it back over the next three years. 'Dieting' suggests it is temporary.

I've stayed on track the second time around by realizing I'm lazy. Working to get the weight off isn't easy. Why make it more difficult for myself?
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Just remember this: IT IS IN YOUR HANDS.

You have the power to lose the weight, and you have the power to maintain that weightloss.
    FEEL THE POWER! REJOICE IN IT!
    As long as YOU stay vigilant, YOU will achieve success and YOU will maintain that success.
    TRUST YOURSELF.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I lost 50lbs in about 8 months when I first started here. I was netting about 900-1000 calories a day and the faster it was coming off, the more excited I got and would try to lose even more. When I met my fiance, we went out a lot, ate lots of food at restaurants and I slacked off a bit. That weight came back on very fast, probably because I ate so little to start with. Thankfully, I was lifting weights the whole time and only gained back 2 of the 4 pant sizes I lost, despite gaining back the same weight.

It's a struggle now. I've been focusing on a balance of eating what I want and like but not going overboard and being more active than ever.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    The mechanics of losing weight (diet & exercise) are simple to follow and pretty much will work for everyone, but they just treat the 'symptoms' of obesity. Unless one addresses the 'cause' as to why they use food as a drug of choice to cope with life, they are going to spend a lifetime suffering the fight against weight gain.

Look to break the mind & food connection in addition to dropping the weight...it's not easy, or a one-process-fits-all, but it is key to maintaining a healthy lifestyle without the struggle & suffering.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Basically for anyone who is overweight and doesn't want to be it implies that if they aren't actively monitoring their normal habits put them at a caloric surplus that causes them to gain weight. If there approach to weightloss is to actively monitor their caloric intake and drastically cut calories and start exercising and doing everything they don't naturally do to hit a "goal" without taking just small steps to change their habits and lifestyle then when they reach their "goal" and stop dieting they will tend to go back to their old habits which, as stated, involve a caloric surplus.

I think the people who are successful are the people who approach "diet" as focusing on their personal habits and consciously trying to change their lifestyle so that their "diet" never ends. Its no longer really a diet at that point, just a change to healthier habits that leads to long-term slow weightloss followed by maintenance at healthy weight.
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,177 Member
    Options
    I've kept close to 100 lbs off for the past 20 years. It's not impossible.

Here's what works for me:

*Record what you eat, majority of your diet should be "whole foods" (for lack of a better word, fully aware that "whole foods" is fairly ambiguous) - vegetables, lean proteins (i.e. cook your own food so you know what is in it), grains - I mostly eat rice, quinoa, polenta, and also, pasta and bread. Wheat is not bad unless you are allergic, wheat products just tend to have more calories - e.g. a cup of cooked rice is far more filling than a cup of cooked pasta, yet the pasta has more calories than the rice. I can eat 8oz of pasta easy for 800 cal, if I eat 1/2 cup of dry, uncooked rice I'm full - that's 300 cal, same with polenta and that's 240 cal. That does not mean pasta is bad - if it fits your cal intake for the day, eat it, if not save for another day.

*Don't make drastic food changes/food eliminations/VLCD/fad "dieting" - most people can't sustain it.

* Eat foods you like, and of you think you don't like vegetables, try different ones, there are a billion vegetables - I don't believe anyone who says they dislike *every* vegetable (though that's another conversation).

*Eat high calorie foods in moderation.

*Get some exercise each day - yep, fully aware that people can lose weight without doing this, but you will feel better and look better with exercise, it really is good for your mental health.

*Don't obsess or have desperation mentality, no one gains weight overnight, and it takes time for it to come off. Look at changing you habits for your health and weight loss as the extra bonus.

*If you are just starting, why not just spend a week recording what you eat. Be honest and get a baseline, it may make it easier to see how much you really need (or don't need) to cut to reach your goals.

I'm sure someone here will hate something I said, but, it's all worked for me, YMMV.
  • Roughgalaxy
    Roughgalaxy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    it's important to take a moment to understand the law of reversibility. This is the law that if you stop exercising and eating healthy, you will return to a pre workout state. Something you want to keep in mind is that you should never stop living a healthy life style. it's not a one and done sort of thing. it's a lifetime. you can generally maintain your current state for 6-12 weeks (at 1/3 effort) before you need to ramp it back up. See fitness as a life time investment, try to find ways to make it fun so it's not work all the time and it will be a lot easier.