BPM at 35, is it dangerous?

Options
Hi,
I am doing a lot of cardio (running, rowing, cylcing and walking) and my BPM is at 35 per minute. I was wondering whether it's dangerous to have such a low BPM....

Thanks for your response,
Jamal

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring this? Is this a resting rate? Apparently some olympic runners have a resting HR of 35 BPM. If you're concerned however, I'd recommend a doctor.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring this? Is this a resting rate? Apparently some olympic runners have a resting HR of 35 BPM. If you're concerned however, I'd recommend a doctor.

By putting two fingers on my throat and counting the beat for one minute. It's my resting rate.
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    resting heart rate is best taken right when you wake up in the morning before you get out of bed. So if you are taking it when you are at your desk it probably isn't the most accurate.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Mine is 45 totally resting. Thirty five is usually low enough for someone to lose consciousness. I'd see an MD.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Options
    Mine is 45 totally resting. Thirty five is usually low enough for someone to lose consciousness. I'd see an MD.

Sorry what is an MD? and what do you exactly mean by low consciousness?
  • WildBillR
    WildBillR Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    MD = doctor, physician

Lose consciousness = faint, black out
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options

Sorry what is an MD? and what do you exactly mean by low consciousness?

MD stands for Medical Doctor and the person said lose consiousness not low consciousness. In other words your BPM seems too low so you should seek the advice of a doctor.
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I would be worried, runners usually have resting heart rates of around 50 or so but that is if you are in very good shape. Otherwise it could be bradycardia, a heart arrhythmia. You run the risk of death. I would go to the doctor or cardiologist asap.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/bradycardia/basics/definition/con-20028373
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    From Wikipedia:

"Bradycardia (/ˌbrædɪˈkɑrdiə/; from the Greek βραδύς, bradys "slow", and καρδία, kardia, "heart"), in the context of adult medicine, is the resting heart rate of under 60 beats per minute (BPM), although it is seldom symptomatic until the rate drops below 50 BPM. It sometimes results in fatigue, weakness, dizziness, and at very low rates fainting.[1] A waking heart rate below 40 BPM is considered absolute bradycardia."

You can check out more info on it at:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/bradycardia/basics/definition/con-20028373

I would recommend you go see a cardiologist because it can be benign or deadly. I had concerns when I started regularly measuring my resting heart rate back in 2011 and found my resting heart rate averaged 45 (I have measured it as low as 34). While I exercise a lot, I am not anywhere close to an athlete (for whom low heart rates are not uncommon.) I went to a cardiologist and he had me wear a Holter monitor for 24 hours after which he said my low heart rate is bradycardia. Because the monitor did not show any other problems, he said they would not do anything about it until / unless it started to make me dizzy or light-headed. The problem for me, though, is that I am 6'10" tall and at that height I can have those symptoms when standing up simply because of my height (called, orthostatic hypotension) so it is hard to tell if my being dizzy or light-headed is caused by the bradycardia, my height or dehydration. The doctor told me to come back if things got worse, otherwise they wouldn't do anything for it. Hopefully, they would tell you the same thing if it is bradycardia. BTW, if they were to need to do something for the bradycardia the treatment seems to be a pacemaker.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Miguel Endurian(apologies for spelling) world class cyclist had a resting rate of below 35; it indicates a large heart(muscle). Traditionally swimmers, cyclists, runners, and most aerobic folks have lower resting heart rates then folks doing anaerobic work.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Options
    Thanks for your advice. I will make an appointment to the doctor.