Things NOT TO DO when exercising

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
DO NOT attempt a "Farmer's blow" while running into the wind.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I had to google that. Gross, LOL. :laugh:
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Don't get too amped and into the hockey playoffs thus causing you to run faster than your treadmill, flipping over the front.....

and then also don't try to overcorrect yourself and fall sideways swinging around the arms of the treadmill like a spider monkey.

It's not a good look.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    Don't get too amped and into the hockey playoffs thus causing you to run faster than your treadmill, flipping over the front.....

and then also don't try to overcorrect yourself and fall sideways swinging around the arms of the treadmill like a spider monkey.

It's not a good look.

Speaking of hockey playoffs...don't watch a hockey game while running on the treadmill, forgetting that your headphones mean you are much louder than you think you are, and start yelling at the TV as if you are comfortably at home.

I learned this when the frightened man on the treadmill beside me left and went to a treadmill far, far away from me while I was quite absorbed in a hockey game.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

It's not a good look.

You reminded me of yet another gem of wisdom: Don't go running on the treadmill after 48 hours of no sleep.

I just finished up a two day straight shift and decided I'd get in a little run in the hotel fitness center. Had some nice downtempo on my headphones, closed my eyes to get into the groove...

...WHAM. Right into the wall. Sent a BOSU ball bouncing across the room like a pinball. Of course, my first dazed thought was "oh crap, this will screw up my mile time," so I immediately hop right back on when the thing is set to 8.5. WHAM. Right into the wall.

I still have the scar.

Oh god, LOL
  • kgeiger141
    kgeiger141 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Don't go running outside in the middle of the night and come across a skunk.......I have never ran backwards as fast as I did that night.....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Don't attempt a "silent" fart in Yoga class. They'll always hear it.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I was really pushing to hit 25mph, finally hit it, looked up, and hit a mailbox so hard I knocked the post out of the ground.

I just started cycling a few months ago (training for a duathlon) and I would be ecstatic if I hit 25mph on my bike. Hell I was happy to bang out 16.67 miles in 1:18 today :laugh: In my defense though the area I live in is EXTREMELY hilly. As I fly down the down hills I have to remind myself that for every down hill there will be an UP hill.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Don't do 10 mile run if your stomach is feeling wonky unless you want to finish it out wearing one sock.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    do not eat chili before dead lift or squat days.
  • khkjkk
    khkjkk Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Do not spar in martial arts class after rock-climbing for 4 - 5 hours the day before. Literally could not lift my arm to block after the punching drills. Nose blood *everywhere*.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you workout at home do not allow the cats in while you are in the middle of squats

they like to come around and get under you for a good rub...do you know how hard it is to get up from that with 145lbs on you....

seriously almost had pancake cat and dents in the floor...
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options

I feel like this would make for a really funny gif...
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If you workout at home do not allow the cats in while you are in the middle of squats

they like to come around and get under you for a good rub...do you know how hard it is to get up from that with 145lbs on you....

seriously almost had pancake cat and dents in the floor...

Had something similar. My cat decided to curl up inside the box I keep my weights in while I was doing a workout. She is a black cat and the room was dark. If she hadnt of looked up and the light caught her eyes I would have dumped by dumbells on top of her.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Don't do 10 mile run if your stomach is feeling wonky unless you want to finish it out wearing one sock.

I feel badly about laughing about that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Do not lose eye contact/sight of the dogs while on the treadmill at home. Our smallest dog decided to join me while I was running. She jumped on in front of me, and slammed into me, throwing me off balance. I jumped to the sides and she flew off the back, into a fan, and into the wall. She got up without a scratch, thank God.

She avoids me now on the treadmill.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    This wasn't me, but: don't fart during spin class when you are situated directly in front of the fan. I think everyone got a bit of that one in their mouths :grumble:

One that I find awkward: don't make eye contact with people going by whilst doing hip presses on the floor. :blushing:
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    If you're a man, please don't wear short shorts and do leg exercises that require you to lay on your back and spread your legs wide open.

This happened a couple weeks ago and I.Saw.Everything. *shudder*
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Go skateboarding in the dark, if you want to. Go helmetless and padless. After a beer or two. Go ahead! It's fun! just DON'T be surprised if you lose some skin. :happy: :drinker:
  • phoenixx866
    phoenixx866 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Don't go for a walk/jog/run when it's raining and your streets are prone to flooding.

I went out for a walk today despite the thunderstorm. I was about to cross the street and turned around because I thought I heard a car, then fell face first into a lake of water that accumulated on the street. Tried to get up and fell into it again.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Nor on treadmill or spin bike at gym. While it does work better than in the wind, huh ....