What does "hitting" your macros look like?

Options
I often read people say "as long as you're hitting your macros...." Or "make it fit your macros." I realize that it means paying attention to your carbs, fat and protein (and sugars and fiber and sodium maybe too?) but there's no way (at least not in my world) to hit every one of my recommendations perfectly. I don't think I've ever even hit my calorie goal spot on without going under or over. Balancing carbs, protein, sugars, fiber, sodium, and fats all at once seems impossible unless you're on some kind of medically-formulated diet.

Here are some possible ways I can interpret "hitting your macros" -- of you use the expression hitting/fitting your macros, can you tell me which of these is a match to what you're talking about?

1. You hit all your numbers exactly -- gram for gram.

2. You did not go over your recommended intake for any of your goals. So if your goal is to eat 60 grams of fat, 200 g of carbs, and 100 grams of protein, you'd "hit your macros" if you ate 30 grams of fat, 194 grams of carbs, and 40 grams of protein.

3. The carb-fat-protein pie pieces of your circle graph match your goals. (So, regardless of the number of grams you ate, for example, you got 50%-30%-20% for your carb-fat-protein ratio....or whatever ratio you have your goals set for.)

4. Something else?

Thanks. I would like to pay more attention to my macros, but I'm just not sure how to do it.

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    For me
    I it is making sure I get at least 180gr of protein
    Fat is <65 gr / day
    Carbs can be whatever else to make up the rest of my calories
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    For me
    I it is making sure I get at least 180gr of protein
    Fat is <65 gr / day
    Carbs can be whatever else to make up the rest of my calories

That's pretty much how I understand it.

People figure out their protein goal, then fat goal and fill the rest with carbs. Protein is a minimum for me. I am not worried if I go over my fat intake either, but aim to keep it around the same.
    I keep an eye on the pie chart too. I know what my numbers work out to % wise and that helps me plan my next meal as well. It's never perfect, but it's close a lot. Especially once you start paying attention you learn how to build your meals. If I had sushi at lunch, my next meal is going to be very carb light.

I don't bother tracking sugars since that is included in your carbs. I'm also not worried about sodium unless my numbers were super high on a regular basis. Same with fiber, I keep an eye on it, but as long as I am relatively close, I'm good.
  • gringuitica
    gringuitica Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yes, what ^^ they said. Your macro goals are minimums, while your calorie goal is an actual goal – you want to hit it, not be under or over. So to me, "hitting my macros" means reaching my minimum goals for protein and fat, and filling the rest of my calories in with carbs. Hitting my calorie goal means reaching my goal +/- 50 calories (because no one's perfect).

This thread is an awesome intro on setting your macro minimums: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    For myself I make sure to hit my protein intake first as they are more difficult. Carbs and Proteins should stay -/+ 10g so they don't have to be spot on and fats should stay -/+ 5g. I don't count calories but carbs/protein = 4 calories per gram and fats = 9 calories per gram. I do not track sugar or sodium. Fiber - I try to hover between 15-25.
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    For me I try to come was close as possible to eating 40% of my daily calories from carbs, 30% from protein and 30% from fat.
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    People figure out their protein goal, then fat goal and fill the rest with carbs.

A lot of low carbers, Paleos/Primals, etc. figure out their protein goal, then their carb maximum, and let the rest be fat.

Either way, the general idea is to be around each of those numbers, though obviously perfection's not really the idea.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    For me I try to come was close as possible to eating 40% of my daily calories from carbs, 30% from protein and 30% from fat.

This for me too... I also look at my weekly figures more than daily.
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    For me it's Protein #1 (over my goal is fine), Fiber #2 (again, over is fine), Fat #3 (again, over is fine). Usually since I'm over on Protein and Fat my carbs are just naturally under. Unless it's the day after a leg day. :D
  • hooo123
    hooo123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Protein 35%
    Carbs 35%
    Fat 30%
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    No one hits values exactly day after day gram for gram. "Hit" your macros means more pay attention to your macros, have a plan and aim for it. General advice is to decide on an amount of protein and fat you need and then fill the rest with carbs. If you want to eat more protein or more fat for satiation purposes thats fine too.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    macro nutrients are protein, carbs, and fat. Everything else is not a macro nutrient but a micro nutrient or trace mineral etc. Macro goals vary by person but are often in the neighborhood of 40/30/30 or 50/25/25 which are carbs/fat/protein. Depends on your goals where you may go with yours. They are calculated by percentage of calories overall calories not grams directly. Carbs and Protein are 4 calories per gram and Fat is 9 per gram. MFP will figure this out for you if you let it set your goals. I find that the other measures are important diet quality indicators. Too much sodium usually means poor quality food and lots of potassium often means lots of vegetables and fruits as a couple examples. It is important to have a macro nutrient goal and reason for it but hitting macros is just the beginning of a great quality diet.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I am one that doesn't follow the minimum rule; I have specific goals for each macro based on training and rest days. Hitting my macros for me is coming within +/- 5-10 grams of each macro. Plus I ensure I hit 30g of fiber daily as it's what works for me. % I do not pay attention to.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Macros: Carbs, proteins, fats

Micros: Vitamins, minerals, fiber

Sugar; irrelevant.

I pretty much eat very flexibly, so I don't get bored of meals day-to-day... This is mainly what IIFYM is about, not necessarily using it as an excuse to eat crap 24/7... The original point of IIFYM was to allow users to eat any foods throughout the day, as long as it fits in your allowed macro amounts.. This beats the crap outa being forced to eat, for example, chicken breasts and broccoli for breakfast, turkey and peas for lunch, etc every day until you reach your goal..

With IIFYM, I'll be allowed to eat pasta, pizza, chicken, rice, gravy, wraps, noodles, eggs, breads, you name it.. on different days/occasions