Any HAES-ers on here???

Options
Just checking in to see if there are any other like minded folk about.

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Out of curiosity I googled HAES when I saw your post. I think you'll find very few people who advocate being both healthy and overweight and eating whatever you want, whenever you want here on a website that is designed to help people track their food intake. I could be wrong, though.

I am curious about why you joined MFP? Were you just curious about what you are eating, or did you have a fitness goal you are trying to achieve?
  • new_boots
    new_boots Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I support the principles of HAES. I am on here to track my macronutrients & help me be more mindful of what I am eating.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'm a healthcare professional and I support HAES and also support people who choose not to partake in healthy lifestyles at all. Aspiring to health seems to me a personal choice, not a moral one, and fat/unhealthy/disabled/less that culturally-promoted ideal bodies do not devalue the human soul which inhabits them. I have seen thin+unhealthy clients just as often as I have seen fat+fit, and I believe all humans are deserving of basic respect.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You might want to check out some of the Paleo, "clean eating" (loose sense; whole foods based dietary goals), and similarly-minded groups. They don't really support "eating whatever you want," but their general views on things are basically "get healthy, the weight loss will follow" (ie - many people have trouble losing weight, disordered eating, etc., because the food they're eating isn't properly nourishing their body, which keeps them from being satiated, driving them to eat more, and making it a fight to keep from eating too much. Solve that problem, and the caloric deficit and the shedding of excess weight will come more naturally).
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It's B.S., plain and simple. If it held any value whatsoever, you'd see fit people following it. If you want results, do what works.
  • PennyVonDread
    Options
    Out of curiosity I googled HAES when I saw your post. I think you'll find very few people who advocate being both healthy and overweight and eating whatever you want, whenever you want here on a website that is designed to help people track their food intake. I could be wrong, though.

I am curious about why you joined MFP? Were you just curious about what you are eating, or did you have a fitness goal you are trying to achieve?

I'm here to track my nutrient intake. Weight isn't important to all of us. As an ace, I don't need to look attractive to anyone but me. I'm already about as healthy (read: functional) as I need to be to maintain ADLs and work. This site is not all about fitness and the condescending healthism attitudes perpetuated by mainstream media.

Health should include mental health, too. It includes loving yourself and taking care of yourself, even intuitively, at all stages of life. I've never met a person who lived in a future, hypothetical "skinnier" version of themselves. At least, not one who was happy. Bodies that are loved and supported and treated with respect (read: not shamed) at all sizes are more likely to be seen as valuable and treated with the care they deserve at all stages of existance- regardless of if they ever reach the narrow range of "ideal" BMI or not.

All bodies are people. All bodies deserve love and respect. It shouldn't come as a surprise the daily hate received from friends, family, and absolutes strangers just by existing in a large body.

MFP is absolutely a useful tool for these types of individuals and their non-conformist, non-healthist needs, and I support their use of the site over those with eating disorders or who sneak on underage and abuse the system on the opposite side of the weight spectrum. Those with ED who are actually using the site secretly and unhealthily and are at much more immediate risk of long-term health problems or death than a fat person who is mindful of their body (albeit not necessarily going for weight-loss).
  • PennyVonDread
    Options
    Doesn't matter. The account has already been deactivated... I guess OP felt unwelcome.
  • bah_bug
    bah_bug Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yup, here. My goal is a tiny weight loss, but only because my cardiologist mandated it :)
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    That's too bad. I'm a HAES-er and on here for various reasons and starting to look for fellow souls. It's a shame the OP left. There should be room for different paths to health. And there's a lot of misconceptions about HAES out there.