Obese and new to exercising

Options
Hello,

I am more than 130+ lbs overweight, but I'm young (23 years old) and female. Right now, I walk around my block 6 days a week (roughly 1.35 miles; takes me about 20-25 minutes. Sometimes I'll take the "long way" of the walk and it'll be upped to about 1.6 miles, taking me approximately 30 minutes to complete), with my rest day being Friday only because my Fridays are always hectic with working until 10pm.

I would like to incorporate some beginning, easy-ish exercises for someone of my weight. I have a large, um, "frontal area" that gets in the way of everything. If I jog, my front hurts badly with all the jiggling. I cannot find nor afford a sports bra in my size just yet (I'm a minimum wage part timer), though I am saving up for one (trying to save approximately $60).

My ultimate goal is to do more cardio. Next year, I'd like to participate in "Run or Dye Detroit," which just took place this past Saturday.

I'd also like to build muscle, but starting off small.

So my main concerns are:
1. Is there a way to get more cardio in without spilling out every 10 seconds, or my straps constantly falling down? It's extremely irritating to jog with my hands on my shoulders to keep my straps up, or my arms around my chest to stop them from bouncing. And boy does it hurt!! Not to mention it makes for an awkward workout session. This applies to jogging and cardio DVDs, which I always have to pause so I can readjust myself.
2. What are some good ways to get weight training in, keeping in mind that I am well-endowed in the front?

My budget is... Non-existent, I work solely to pay my bills and I don't even have $10 left after paying everything off.

Thank you!

Replies

• sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    if you can, work some extra hours to purchase a good sportsbra. they are WELL worth the investment! However, I do have to say that I lost the bulk of my weight without one and it was a Pain in the BUTT - well, TOP - when working out, but I struggled through. And I'm top heavy too. I did lose some in that area with the amount of weight I've lost, but am still large. When I say I struggled through, I mean, I STRUGGLED through. Straps being a pain, falling down as I was losing weight, the girls flopping up and down depending on my workout, it was uncomfortable, in the way, hurt, & embarrassing! The bra was a very uncomfortable piece of clothing as I lost my weight before I purchased the sportsbra. So, either, put up with it as I did, or work extra hours to purchase a good bra. ORRRR.... get a sugardaddy to purchase you one!!!! :flowerforyou:

good luck! :drinker:
  • fionauu
    fionauu Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    in terms of your bra, im pretty certain your not wearing the right size.

http://www.lasenza.ca/customer-service/size-charts/size-chart-bras

try using this chart. then you can buy a cheap bra in the right size that has at least 3 hooks in the back and wear a super tight tank top over it. that should help as a temporary solution until you can purchase a proper sports bra.

but its not all about the exercise. you should also make sure your eating as clean as you can and actually measuring the food you log and not just estimating.

and in terms of saving, i use the simply save feature at my bank. every transaction i make a certain amount goes into my savings account. I made mine $5. so every time i make a purchase, it charges me an extra 5 that goes towards my savings. but you can make it as low as a dollar or something to get started.

Just my suggestions from one obesed girl to another :)
  • Chairman__Davey
    Options
    I'm not sure if you can or have the facilities near by, but swimming is an excellent low-impact way of losing weight. If you feel self-conscious perhaps try going really early or late, or find a pool with a female only swimming time. Another bonus is that because you don't realise you're sweating, you've no idea how hard you've worked until you wake up the next day! Good luck!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    if you can, work some extra hours to purchase a good sportsbra. they are WELL worth the investment! However, I do have to say that I lost the bulk of my weight without one and it was a Pain in the BUTT - well, TOP - when working out, but I struggled through. And I'm top heavy too. I did lose some in that area with the amount of weight I've lost, but am still large. When I say I struggled through, I mean, I STRUGGLED through. Straps being a pain, falling down as I was losing weight, the girls flopping up and down depending on my workout, it was uncomfortable, in the way, hurt, & embarrassing! The bra was a very uncomfortable piece of clothing as I lost my weight before I purchased the sportsbra. So, either, put up with it as I did, or work extra hours to purchase a good bra. ORRRR.... get a sugardaddy to purchase you one!!!! :flowerforyou:

good luck! :drinker:

^ This - Enell offers great support - pricey but worth it. In the meantime put on a couple of bras....this should help.

Low impact cardio......helps with the "girls" (Walk At Home...Leslie Sansone is great for this) ......you shouldn't be in pain.
  • Lizsanne
    Lizsanne Posts: 1
    Options
    Until you can purchase a good bra you can wear a tight tank top with a built in bra in it. Wear a sports bra under it and if you have to double up on sports bras. I have a friend who does this and says it works great.
  • sandtisch
    sandtisch Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    According to your goal weight, you must be a little shorter than I am, but I started at a similar weight and am also juggling my ladies through cardio exercise. But yes, owning a sports bra really helps.

However, since swimming is not yet an option for you, you may want to consider biking, if that is an option in the neighborhood you live in.
    Or slightly increase your cardio by walking faster, with a weight or water bottle in each hand and take the arms with you when you are walking. Take stairs, walk them up and down.

Go for bodyweight strength exercises, there are several where "the girls" are not interfering too much. "Dead bug", "pointer", squats, "bridge", plank ...