I quit smoking.

Options
Yesterday, I decided to quit smoking. I was about a pack a day for years and years. I've quit a few times here and there but it never stuck; hopefully this time works! The cravings are bearable but I can't stop coughing! I'm sure my coworkers are ready to throw me out the window!

I know with quitting smoking comes snacking, and I'm prepared. I brought fruit and a salad for lunch today and I'm trying to be really healthy.

I'm more curious with your experience withdrawal wise - not so much weight gain/loss. Did you cough a ton, lose sleep, get cranky, etc. Could really use some support.

Thanks all!

Replies

• yogibaby89
    yogibaby89 Posts: 1
    Options
    I quit smoking a few months ago when I found out I was pregnant. I quit right then and there. I too had tried before, my most successful attempt lasted 18 months. Good on you for packing fruit for snacks. I definitely compensated not smoking with eating. I've put on a lot of weight since, and while some of it is baby weight, most of it is not! Just keep at it. One day at a time, or even one section of the day at a time. It gets easier, although I'm not convinced we're ever free of it completely. Don't give in, even if you slip up. I was combating morning sickness as well, so I couldn't exercise. But I recommend exercising as well. Those endorphins are amazing. Good luck :)
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Zero nicotine ecig for 2 weeks, and then keep it around to prevent relapse.

Edit: Zero nic, and VG. It also helps prevent snacking, because you can get a nice enjoyable flavor.
  • hrhodges12
    hrhodges12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I quit 5 months ago. I am not sure anyone quits and does not gain some weight. I gain 20 lbs. The first couple of months I was not too concerned with it because I knew I would not be able to diet and quit; only one goal at a time. I have now lost almost 7lbs. I know I will get down to my original weight. I have a child ( I quit when preg too and then went back). I would highly suggest you stay quit if at all possible. I always felt like an ashtray while holding my child. The two just do not mix. Super congrats to you it is very difficult. You will be able to lose the weight back.. Just enjoy on victory at a time!!
    P.s. I was able to breast feed and lost 16lbs..
  • 170oakst
    170oakst Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I struggled with trying to quit from October to December of 2013. I finally made up my mind January 1, 2014 and smoked my last cigarette on that day. I haven't smoked anymore since, I'm completely smoke free now. I called the 1-800 quit line and got some support. I did gain some weight but since I've been using MFP and logging my food along with a more active physical fitness plan, it's gotten much easier. I actually lost 5LBS within the past week. I do feel much better, I also had the cough after quitting but it eventually went away, I know my son is much happier, he's been after me to quit smoking for years. I applaud you on your decision, the best of luck to you.
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. My husband passed recently of lung cancer and emphysema. He was only 58. It may seem old to you now but it's not.
    It was a horrible and long year and a half. It was like watching someone trapped under an ice covered lake and all you could do is watch, no matter how hard you fought to help free him. :cry:
  • catmonteith1
    catmonteith1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great decision! You wont regret it! :bigsmile:
    Day 1 was easy because I still had fresh in my mind the reasons why i wanted to quit.
    Day 2 was medium, but i was proud i actually made it to the second day.
    Day 3 was hard, but knowing that all the nicotine is gone from your body after 3 days kept me going.
    I always said if i could make it past 3 days i would be home free.
    By the time Day 5 of my quit came, i woke up with soo much energy, i knew i would never go back.
    It's not easy, but it really does get easier everyday.
    I gave into snacking a lot during the first week, but after that i got that in check..
    Also, make a vow to never ever ever have another puff ever again! Someone once told me that your only a
    puff away from a pack a day..
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I know it's so difficult to beat this habit. I've watched numerous relatives battle this addiction.

You are doing something awesome for yourself!

I wish you all the best!
  • sjokerbud
    sjokerbud Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bravo...great choice .I also quit smoking and when I was a month into it worried about my weight...was 367 and now am 313..One thing at a time one thing at a time..I did it with the patch..I coughed and coughed at first but it got better I also struggled with insomnia that also went away..I've been CIG free since Jan 27 lost 54 pounds and can breathe so much better..every day you go well though smoking is adding time on your life...keep pushing forward...reward yourself by buying yourself something with the money you would have spent on cigs ...Little stuff like that helps:)
  • teeya1984
    teeya1984 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 5...I feel much better today in terms of the physical irritants. for the last 5 days I have had a pounding headache behind my eyes, have been very irritable (zero patience), I have felt very fatigued all day, I have been waking up every hour at night, and I just have a general feeling of malaise.

today I feel like I have a bit more energy...I'm not as cranky...and the headache isn't as bad.

the cravings are still torture though. it takes everything I have to resist and they are happening every 10mins or so.

I have quit before, but I completely forget how long I felt miserable for. This is my second time quitting and my last time. Everyone is different though - I hope you are feeling better than I have been!

good luck!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!

I quit January 2013 cold turkey. I smoked a pack per day for 20 years, minus 2 years when I found out I was pregnant and up until I separated from my ex-husband when I started again.

It really just boils down to being stubborn and never ever putting one to your lips ever again. My mantra was N.O.P.E. Not One Puff EVER!! Wish I had the same kind of discipline with my diet....lol

Anyhoo...to answer your question, I had some pretty severe withdrawl. I was a complete zombie the first three days and am still not really sure how I got to work. I sure as hell didn't do much of anything once I got there. Just kind of sat at my desk in an upright fetal position and stared at my computer until it was time to go home.

Mood swings were horrendous and my family still laughs at me and my ups and downs. I felt like really amplified PMS. I felt angry, and incredibly irritable. I would go out in the middle of a snow storm and walk around the block to not lash out at my daughter or husband! :) Oh, and my sugar cravings were at an all time high....I think I was substituting a sugar rush for the nicotine rush.....all sounds delightful, doesn't it? haha

In all honesty, I didn't really start feeling like a human being again until about the 2 week mark. Once the fog started to lift, I started to feel amazing! A few of my friends all quit at the same time. One has gone back to it occasionally, and the others are still quit. I had the worst of the withdrawl out of all of them.

Fast forward to today....I will NEVER go back! I feel amazing, I don't smell, I can board a flight to any destination in the world without having to panic about when I can have my next cigarette, and I've saved thousands of AFTER TAX dollars! I am truly grateful to be free of the control it had over my life!

Keep going and take one day at a time! You CAN do it! You ARE doing it!! Congratulations again!!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 5...I feel much better today in terms of the physical irritants. for the last 5 days I have had a pounding headache behind my eyes, have been very irritable (zero patience), I have felt very fatigued all day, I have been waking up every hour at night, and I just have a general feeling of malaise.

today I feel like I have a bit more energy...I'm not as cranky...and the headache isn't as bad.

the cravings are still torture though. it takes everything I have to resist and they are happening every 10mins or so.

I have quit before, but I completely forget how long I felt miserable for. This is my second time quitting and my last time. Everyone is different though - I hope you are feeling better than I have been!

good luck!

It gets better...I promise! Take deep breaths when you have a craving and know that it WILL pass. Just give it a minute. :)

Sometimes they feel like a punch to the chest, don't they? They will be farther and fewer between. Keep going! You're past the worst part....Lord knows I never want to go through that again! Nothing keeps me away from it more than the thought of having to quit again!! Not health reasons, disappointing my family, smell, cost, etc.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I decided to quit smoking. I was about a pack a day for years and years. I've quit a few times here and there but it never stuck; hopefully this time works! The cravings are bearable but I can't stop coughing! I'm sure my coworkers are ready to throw me out the window!

I know with quitting smoking comes snacking, and I'm prepared. I brought fruit and a salad for lunch today and I'm trying to be really healthy.

I'm more curious with your experience withdrawal wise - not so much weight gain/loss. Did you cough a ton, lose sleep, get cranky, etc. Could really use some support.

Thanks all!

Congrats on your quit. Stick with it. It does get easier.

I am 2.5 mths quit. For me the first 6 weeks were the worst, then things got a whole lot better. First 2 weeks were okay, 3rd week was rough, then it started slowly getting better. I have yet to have a significant cough, but that is one of the side effects of quitting. Some have it some dont. Out with the bad stuff in the lungs.

I was very tired the first 2 weeks, then boom, tons of energy. I gained 7lbs, but have lost all of that. I gave myself almost 2 weeks, then I started logging whole heartedly and exercising. The urge to replace snacking with smoking subsides too. Make sure you get plenty of fiber and water too. Things kind of slow down in the GI track. Find something to keep you busy and distract and delay when those cravings hit. I have chewed my weight in gum the past 2+ months and crocheted a million washcloths.

Sleeplessness(is that a word??) is a biggie the first few weeks and then you may start to have dreams where you are smoking in them. Those freaked me out. I would wake up panicked that I had smoked, only to realize it was a dream. I sleep like a baby most of the time now. No longer wake up feeling like I can't breathe. Also my sleep is more restful than it was when I was a smoker.

Keep it up. I have never had one regret over quitting. And now I very seldom even think of smoking. All the withdrawals DO get better. You just have to stick them out.
  • palloma
    palloma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey December 2013.
    Cranky - yes
    Nightmares - yes (would wake up every hour)
    Coughing up flem in the morning - yes
    clothes shrinking - yes
    Cravings - yes, less and less
    It's all better now. I hope I never touch another cigarette in my life.
    Good Luck!!
  • Myfitfutureself
    Myfitfutureself Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey December 2013.
    Cranky - yes
    Nightmares - yes (would wake up every hour)
    Coughing up flem in the morning - yes
    clothes shrinking - yes
    Cravings - yes, less and less
    It's all better now. I hope I never touch another cigarette in my life.
    Good Luck!!

Quit at the same time!! Cold turkey. I became an instant A$$h#!@ for about a month and packed on some weight but now I'm ok. I always enjoyed smoking and will always want to but it was a blood pressure thing for me! I am happier now that I have found other stress outlets.....Heavy bag!!

Good luck to all!