Considering buying a Fitbit. Help?

Options
Right now I'm going back and forth between the Fitbit Flex and the Fitbit One.

I like the idea of being able to set a goal and visually being able to see your progress, like the Flex has. But as someone who works in a school and has to climb floors several times a day, I also like the idea of being able to see number of floors climbed, like the One has.

With the Flex I feel like I'm less likely to forget it, since you can wear it all day and night without worrying about changing clothes. But with the One, I like that you can see the time and visually see how many steps you've taken without having to look at your phone or computer.

But then again, the Zip is also much cheaper, and although it doesn't have a lot of the features that the Flex and One have, it would get the job done.

So I wanted to ask you guys which Fitbit you have, and what features of it you use most often (besides the calorie tracking, since all of them have that). Do you wish you spent a little more? A little less? Are you satisfied with the features of the one you have? Etc. Thanks!

Replies

• SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit One and I love it. Don't know much about the others.

What I like about my FitBit One is that it shows me how much (or how little) I have done for the day. I aim for 10,000 steps most days and when I'm being fanatical about it, if I haven't done them by bedtime I'll do laps around my home until I get there, or jog on the spot for 5 minutes if that is what it takes.

I also count stairs, and have been known to walk up and down flights of stairs for no reason other than to get my FitBit number up!!

But the best thing (for me) is the TDEE estimate. I use that and at the end of the week look at the average and compare that to how much I have eaten. I think it's pretty accurate.

I'm glad I bought it and if I lost it I would happily buy another one.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have the Zip. After comparing the various models, I decided this was the best for me because I don't need the sleep or floor tracking (I'm rarely around stairs). I also wanted one that didn't go on the wrist - I didn't want it visible, and had read reviews where people had issues with them not tracking accurately, having the clasp come undone and losing them, etc. Read a lot of cases of the One being lost as well.

So the Zip was my choice - it clips tightly to my bra so it's out of sight and very unlikely to be lost. Even on my longer runs it's never come loose. And it seems to be pretty accurate - being on the torso rather than a swinging arm might make a difference.

I like the motivation it gives me to move more and try to hit my step, distance, active minutes and calorie goals for the day. Plus having other Fitbit friends on my list adds a competitive level to it. :smile: And I enjoy the ability to cheer (or taunt :tongue: ) friends or leave them comments within the app.

We got one for my mother-in-law for Mother's Day - hoping she uses it and that it motivates her to move more too!
  • pseudopseudo
    Options
    I have the Force (which has now been discontinued) and my girlfriend has the Flex. From our experience, having something you can just put on your wrist and leave on--even in the shower--was a big draw. Having to remember to clip something on every day is only a tiny drawback, but it was enough to sway our choices.

I personally love having the visual display to check at a glance, but since all of the Fitbits can sync to a smartphone with the Fitbit app, it's super easy to just open the app and have everything in front of you that way also.

No matter what you go with, congrats on making a choice to get a wearable! Having that ability to quantify what you're doing every day is huge for motivation. :)
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    In to follow recommendations. I have been thinking I might like one but haven't done any research yet, so just glomming on to your post, OP. My only current gadget is a polar hrm. Seeing numbers gets to be a game for me, so I think it would be motivating.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I have the zip and I love it! having something on my wrist all the time would drive me crazy!!
  • R1ss4n1
    R1ss4n1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I really like the fitbit line. I've had pretty much all of them (except for the flex, and I returned the force when they did the recall since it didn't work well for me), but I love my One to bits.

For me:

Zip - Basic tracker worked well, bit of a pain to remember to change the battery, but not a big deal. I used to clip it to the bra I was going to wear the next day when I went to bed so I wouldn't forget it. But I missed the extra tracking of the one (I had an ultra and a one I had lost the two previous years - don't clip those to your waist. And girl pockets are too damn shallow!)

Force - My problems with this were many. It was a pain to fasten, then didn't feel secure when I finally got it on. If you have a job where you move your hands a lot, you'll rack up 'steps' without actually walking, and that felt like cheating to me. The only really good thing about it was the clock on it. I don't like the idea of wearing something on my wrist that can't tell the time (I'm looking at YOU, Flex!

One - My current Fitbit and I'm very happy with it. To keep from losing THIS one, I keep it clipped onto my bra or in the sleep band. Thanks to the app for my phone I can check my stats without having to dig into my shirt and fish it out so it stays secure. It may be a bit pricey, but I think it's definitely worth it.

Aria - I know you didn't ask about the scale, but I just got it and love it! Though it was a PAIN to set up. So if you get it, make sure you're sufficiently tech-savvy or know someone who is.
  • monet13
    monet13 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have been a polar hrm user in the past but it is broken and so was debating between getting another HRM or going with a fit bit - is the fit bit really accurate?? I am so used to having the chest strap with the hrm it doesn't seem possible that something like the fit bit could be accurate. Has anyone had both? If so, how does the accuracy compare?
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I originally bought the zip, and loved it. I loved it so much I wanted more! I took it back and "upgraded" to the One. Yup, love that one too. The sleep function for me is merely interesting, not necessary. But I like the tracking stairs function of the One, cause I generally treadmill on an incline, and it's interesting to see what happens on longer hikes.

As a motivational tool, not going to lie, it's the thing that has gotten me out of the house every day for the past 3 weeks. I cannot go to sleep until I've hit those 10 000 steps!

I stick mine in my bra, and it's just part of my habit now.
  • KayLynn702
    KayLynn702 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've had my flex for 2 months now and totally addicted!! I love it!! If I want to see how many steps I take I just double tap my flex and the lights on it light up one dot = 2,000 steps, and when I hit my 10,000 goal it vibrates. I don't even notice my flex on my wrist, and I love the interchangeable colored bands :) Wanted to add that I love the sleep function too - I like seeing the graph of when I'm restless and when I slept like a baby!
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. :flowerforyou:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Started with the One and now have the Flex. I prefer the flex as I can leave it on and forget it is there, basically, other than when I need to charge it. I do not really miss the stairs counter. It is true, it probably gives a higher count than the One, because as per the site, they like to give credit for arm movement too, for example, if someone is a drummer for their profession. With the One, I do not wear a bra really, just a bra top which did not support it, and I was often forgetting to put the One on, or had it falling off etc.
  • anneboleynr
    anneboleynr Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I bought the One last month and have been very happy with it. I haven't forgotten to wear it since as soon as I get up it goes from the sleep band into its case thing, and it's pretty easy to put in my pocket or clip on to my pants. I even was able to wear it when I wore a dress to work (just clipped it to my bra strap). I like that I can check the display throughout the day. The sleep tracking is interesting to me because I'm a restless sleeper.
  • bethphelpsfit
    bethphelpsfit Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have the fit bit flex and while I really do love knowing how active I am being throughout the day having to wear it on my arm all the time is kind of annoying...I love fashion and like wearing outfits that don't clash and my rubber fitbit always stands out. I bought the flex because I thought not having to remember to clip it to my bra would be a plus but looking back I wish I had just gotten the zip...cute and to the point. I really think it would have done more than enough and I could have saved fifty bucks. I also went grocery shopping one day and realized when I got home that it didn't count one single step because my hands were pushing the buggy instead of swinging back and forth...If I had one on my bra or belt clip that wouldn't even be an issue. I like the fit bit line and I like my flex okay but next time I'm just gonna keep it simple. :)
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Bumping to see more replies.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Options
    Okay, I have a question about the Fitbit Zip. I saw a review on Walmart saying it needed a $39 a year subscription to loseit.com? Is this accurate, or can it be bypassed and just used here and on my iPhone?
  • R1ss4n1
    R1ss4n1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have a question about the Fitbit Zip. I saw a review on Walmart saying it needed a $39 a year subscription to loseit.com? Is this accurate, or can it be bypassed and just used here and on my iPhone?

No need for a subscription at all! Fitbit.com has it's own 'premium' service but its free services work just fine.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Options

No need for a subscription at all! Fitbit.com has it's own 'premium' service but its free services work just fine.
    Sweet! Thanks!
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have tried several of the fitbit line devices.
    I started with a one and was perfectly happy with it although I found I would forget to move it to my workout pants and back, and losing credit for those steps ticked me off!
    So...I had to have the latest thing and bought a flex. I loved the idea of wearing it 24/7 and only removing it to charge. In that respect it works as promised. I didn't miss the stair counter as I just have almost no stairs in my life. I found the sleep tracker interesting but not necessarily useful as I pretty much know when I sleep poorly. The biggest downside for me was that it has no way of tracking steps when you are pushing something, reaching for something or carrying something. Anything that doesn't allow your arms to swing doesn't get picked up. I spend probably too much time at Target, Costco etc and found the step count to be inaccurate (I wore my husbands zip in my pocket and compared the two). I found I was just putting it in my pocket a lot of the time when shopping.
    Anyway, after a year or so I found it wasn't holding a charge well and I was just ready for a new one. I decided to replace it with a Zip. I'm glad I did. It's got all the info I need, seems more reliable than the Flex for my particular use.
    That being said, I think you'll love whatever you choose. It's a great tool and a great motivator. Pick the one that fits the best for your activity and needs. Enjoy it!
  • my2boyz710
    my2boyz710 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have both the flex and the one and I like the one much better! I feel that it is much more accurate and if you do activity like spinning it was very inaccurate because you don't move your hands much and then on the flip side I often move my hands more than I move my legs and it would over count the steps. I also like the step counter and the visual display.
  • VCopple
    VCopple Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I got the Flex because I am notorious for leaving things and losing things. My flex I take off only to charge and to shower. (You can leave it on in the shower, but for me the water that gets trapped under the band irritates me.) I got all of the ladies at work wearing one, and we encourage each other. I also love the fact that it syncs automatically with MFP, so I never have to guess how much exercise I did simply by walking at work. I am a teacher's aide and work with 75% of the teachers on our huge campus, so I average 4 miles a day just doing my job.

For me the best features are the very active minute calculation and the sleep. It is important to me to make sure I am getting enough sleep at night and RESTFUL sleep.

I think you can change the flex to count stairs or floors, but I have not done it because I am usually just concerned with hitting my step goal. There is a little box on the dashboard which has floors, it is right after steps.....you can always sign up for a free account at Fitbit.com, and see what the features are and compare models before you buy.